.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So...the customers wont be cheated this time?

The fact that they did continual fixings on the MP part of an MP game? And as far as I know, most people who have dominions are playing mp games even if its just friends nad family with no need for public scoreboards. You sem to feel you are the voice of the silent majority but I dont know if anyone is agreing with that.

I thought that the AI thing in dom2 was answered long ago. Its linear so there isnt much fix that can be done without a massive rewrite. And I asked continually for players to develop a better linear layout for the ai that didnt amount to teaching it how to play just one nation better.

MY request was for a map command that would allow map scenarios to add castles that were freebie giveaways. A #patrol or a #defence 21 type of command. Im still hoping for that
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

And well, a two man team must focus on certain things. I'm not sure if the expansion of Illwinter is what the two want, or if it is economicaly feasible.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nerfix said:
And well, a two man team must focus on certain things. I'm not sure if the expansion of Illwinter is what the two want, or if it is economicaly feasible.
Actually, it's listed as four now. Johan K. and Kristoffer O., with help from Johan O. and Daniel Serra. Surprised me, too.
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
The fact that they did continual fixings on the MP part of an MP game?
Well the feature list was fake then. It clearly stated "very good AI". Not to mention that they forgot to mention "We wont care about the singleplayer part after the release."
Just tell me Gandalf that I am not correct.
Anyways this is the past, the future can be better, lets hope...Dominions 3 can be different in support.
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You are of course perfectly correct. No one can tell you that you are not correct. Since you are stating an opinion, about an opinion, then it must be true for you.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
You are of course perfectly correct. No one can tell you that you are not correct. Since you are stating an opinion, about an opinion, then it must be true for you.
You admitted [or someone else?] that the singleplayer was only good to "taste" the game and play multi. It is clear that the AI was weak, I think everyone can admit it.

I mean we mainly seen some weak AI troops, running all over the map without a point really, not to mention the other AI weaknesses. We cannot call this "very good AI", what was stated on the feature list originally. Now we got this "even more challenging AI" description for Doms 3, after the Doms 2. AI failed.
I think we can say more after a demo like I said, the question is....Illwinter will forget developing/fixing the singleplayer part if it is needed or not. This would be good to know also.
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Maybe this 'even more challenging AI' can build castles now so you should see much more national troops running around (without goal???).
I think you are greatly overstating your case here. AI is not nearly as bad as you claim.
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You still seem determined to put your "fact" words on other peoples opinions. I think that any game with an AI that can get you up to human-player level is an above average AI.

Did you ever find out who's opinion it was that you were quoting in the first place about the AI?
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:00 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I remember reading somewhere that the AI was not updated because it was not fun to work on. Which is somewhat understandable.

The community has asked for tools to be able to script the AI, or to get specs for the .trn and .2h files (so you can write a program to read a .trn file and build a .2h file). Either one of these would be much appreciated.
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

We did get some additions to the maps in order to build more challenging scenarios for play vs the AI. Having the AI ally together agains the player helped alot. Also beefing up their armies with extra troops and equipment. The modders took things even farther.

I think that when players actually laid out specific AI formulas that some of those might have made it in also
Closed Thread