BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb OOB wiki?

When browsing wikipedia once again for information I began to think that maybe having a wiki to document stuff from OOBs would be beneficial. Now that I've been here for couple of years I've began to notice that the new users, just like me back then, come here when they think they found something that's "wrong" in the OOB just to be corrected later, probably with links. Also going back and forth in OOBs might be less of an issue if there was one single location where things (and maybe rationales) have been laid out with explanations and justifications. The .txt information on units might also be improved by this process.

With interlinking Don's OOB update runs might be also easier as it's no longer required to remember that 'PbV xyz' is the updated Swedish variant of BMP-2 when going over BMP-2 stats.

Any thoughts? Fire at will, I have a thick skin.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmnt For This Useful Post:
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OOB wiki?

wikis are always awesome but... 100 countries 1000 weapons... 1000 formations... Don and Andy could answer this better but since SPMBT has a country specific database instead of a weapon/weapon system once this would necessitate 1 x 10 to the many zeros of wiki pages looping things back?
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:30 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

That and it's not like Andy and Don have the time (and probably the inclination) to try to keep the thing up-to-date.
Since anyone can edit Wiki someone with an older version of WinSPMBT may update an OOB to the "new" version to be helpful.
Undoubtedly some helpful person will "correct" the weights of vehicles.
Someone not knowing the movement formula will "correct" that.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
It's a VERY nice idea but probably isn't practical.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:05 AM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

The Correction issue can be controlled... just force everything to a discussion page. The main page would be Don & Andy's current accepted. In the Discussion Fastboat, Andy, Don and others could point out the crazy. But it would mean that Fastboat in his very wonderful posts would need to "discuss" on each page referenced the change he is talking about aka number of grenades per infantry unit. This again starts insanity! Primary requirement is a (geek humor) stateless weapon database.
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:46 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJazz View Post
wikis are always awesome but... 100 countries 1000 weapons... 1000 formations... Don and Andy could answer this better but since SPMBT has a country specific database instead of a weapon/weapon system once this would necessitate 1 x 10 to the many zeros of wiki pages looping things back?
I was thinking of not including the formations but the units only. Also there's a lot of overlap and the starting point can be automatically generated from the unit and weapon information.

I was thinking that it contains the stats as they are on the OOB and then the basis on why things should be changed and the sources could be given on the page references section. Using categorization the list of BMP-2 units would be easily accessible.