.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > LockNLoad: The Forgotten Heroes

Old October 19th, 2002, 03:10 AM

Private

Tim Wilson is on a distinguished road
Default Rules Question?

1. During melee between units, you compare the firepower between the attacking and defending units to get the odds ratio. In the rules it states that you then roll a die, add any leadership modifiers and consult the table. Do you add your firepower to the single die roll? Otherwise, I don't see how you can achieve the higher kill numbers.
2. Opportunity fire allows a unit(s) to fire upon a enemy unit(s) while the enemy unit moves during its impulse. Am I interpreting this correctly? What is also misleading to me is the wording that states "...the moving unit may not be attacked more than once per movement point expended in the hex." Not sure what this really means? I have been playing it, as basically, a interrupting fire, fired during the enemy units move checking for any modifiers(LOS, Degrading Terrain, Etc,) and if the moving units are effected by the fire they must remain in that spot, with any units not effected continuing their move.
3. Under Operation Phase and under Movement it states that "...all moving units that begin their move in the same hex that are activated in the same impulse must move together." Does this mean that all units that are going to move must move at the same time to the same hex, or that they all must move during the same impulse but can move to differing hexes?
4. Under the Spotting rules it states that "Spotting attempts do not require an impulse, but only one attempt may be made per friendly impulse, and units attempting to spot ..." , does this mean that only one unit in a multi-unit hex may attempt to spot or all units in a hex attempt to spot individually? Also, if one unit in a hex with mulitple units does spot and fires upon the enemy unit(s), then can the remaing units in the same hex add their firepower as per the multiple attacking units rule?

Thanks for any help.
Old October 21st, 2002, 11:03 PM

Sergeant

Mark H. Walker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rules Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Wilson:
1. During melee between units, you compare the firepower between the attacking and defending units to get the odds ratio. In the rules it states that you then roll a die, add any leadership modifiers and consult the table. Do you add your firepower to the single die roll? Otherwise, I don't see how you can achieve the higher kill numbers.

Tim! That is an excellent catch! The one die thing is leftover from when LnL was based on D10. Roll BOTH die for the Melee die roll (DR).

2. Opportunity fire allows a unit(s) to fire upon a enemy unit(s) while the enemy unit moves during its impulse. Am I interpreting this correctly? What is also misleading to me is the wording that states "...the moving unit may not be attacked more than once per movement point expended in the hex." Not sure what this really means? I have been playing it, as basically, a interrupting fire, fired during the enemy units move checking for any modifiers(LOS, Degrading Terrain, Etc,) and if the moving units are effected by the fire they must remain in that spot, with any units not effected continuing their move.

Tim, your interpetation is correct. But, here is an explanation. A squad spends one MP to move into a clear terrain hex. It may be fired on once in that hex. But the same squad pays two MPS to enter a clear terrain level one hill hex from level zero terrain. Hence it could be theorectically fired on twice in that hex. Now, it would have to be fired on by two different stacks of enemy units, because once a unit fires it is marked with a Fired marker. Does that make sense?

3. Under Operation Phase and under Movement it states that "...all moving units that begin their move in the same hex that are activated in the same impulse must move together." Does this mean that all units that are going to move must move at the same time to the same hex, or that they all must move during the same impulse but can move to differing hexes?

Same time to same hex. You may, however, activate one unit, move it, allow your opponent an impulse, active another unactivated unit in the same hex and move it to another hex.

4. Under the Spotting rules it states that "Spotting attempts do not require an impulse, but only one attempt may be made per friendly impulse, and units attempting to spot ..." , does this mean that only one unit in a multi-unit hex may attempt to spot or all units in a hex attempt to spot individually? Also, if one unit in a hex with mulitple units does spot and fires upon the enemy unit(s), then can the remaing units in the same hex add their firepower as per the multiple attacking units rule?

If you have several units in hex and one spots an enemy hex, they may all fire. Did that answer the question?

Thanks for any help.