.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:33 PM

Sergeant

earwicker7 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie who chose Land of the Bakemono

Hey, all. It's my first playthrough on single player, and I chose MA Shinuyama for role-playing reasons (I thought their description sounded like it could fit with my "I'm going to play like Sauron!" idea). Anyways, like I would expect with a game like this, I'm kind of overwhelmed (although this is the first time I've played a 4x game where I've REALLY gotten that "One more turn!" feeling) so I'm rereading the manual and checking out some online posts about the game. One of them, at the strategywiki for D3, says that "it’s certainly not the easiest nation to play, especially for a beginner". Yikes! What have I done?

I'm looking for a judgement call from some more experienced players... am I better off just plowing through the game on a difficult nation, or should I restart with an easier one? I don't want to get in that situation where I always restart ten turns in hoping that my next game will be perfect, which can be a problem with 4x games that don't have scenarios, but on the other hand, I don't want to be in a situation where I'm not learning much because I'm playing a difficult nation.

For those who recommend restarting, what's a good beginner nation?

On kind of a side note, how many of you who play the game regularly finished the first non-tutorial game you played? Am I the only person who tends to restart a couple of times before I get in the groove of things?

Hopefully, I'll be ready to play multiplayer after a few single player games.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

iRFNA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie who chose Land of the Bakemono

All I know is that shinuyama must be played with this in the background.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:53 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRFNA View Post
All I know is that shinuyama must be played with this in the background.
I have all three of the extended version soundtracks. Approximately 11 hours of pure bliss! The Nazgul leitmotif chills my bones every time I listen to it.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

I would stick with the nation as long as possible. Either until you are defeated by the AI or the turns take so long to complete you feel like starting over. You will learn a lot no matter what nation you play, don't worry about "missing out" on anything.

There was a big thread just a little while ago about the best nation to start with. The preference was generally nations with powerful national troops; Niefelheim, Hinnom, even Abysia. They let you focus on how to play the game without worrying too much about losing.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:00 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

If you can get a good start, Shinuyama isn't a bad nation to play. They've got powerful recruit-everywhere mages and some strong troops.
The longbow Dai-Bakemono are very good, just expensive and resource intensive. Once you get a few castles built, you should be able to build enough of them. More castles will also let you build more mages and you can play around with troop buffing and artillery spells.

Some neat national summons too.

If you can last awhile and expand it'll go well. If not, it'll be over quickly and you can move on.

Playing around with nations that interest you is probably a better approach than trying to find the perfect starter nation. If you get slaughtered, try out the nation that beat you.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:09 PM

Sergeant

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll tough it out.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM

Sergeant

Since they have a lot of stealth units, should I do some "sneak my army into their backyard" maneuvers, or are they likely to pick up on that? Still figuring out the stealth mechanics.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

You can try. Aim for lightly defended provinces.

Your stealthy troops aren't very good, so you'll need quite a few of them. The more you bring the more likely you are to be caught.

The exact formula is in the manual, but each unit you bring subtracts from the commander's stealth, so use the commander with the highest stealth.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Shinuyama is rather strong. Its mages can research enchantment and evocation for animate skeletons and evocations like shadow blast or earlier fire spells. Skelly-spamming in particular is very efficient if you bring in several mages to raise undead chaff.
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

I often restart a game 3-5 times before I get exactly what I wanted. The first game I'll just build a pretender from memory/what I think I may want. after about 10 turns or less, I'll restart and overhaul my pretender choice. The next 2-4 restarts are tweaking that pretender so that I get the "perfect" balance. Sometimes it's even a 3rd or 4th year restart, though not much recently.

However, it is annoying being "that guy" that never finishes a game. I agree, you'll learn a whole lot no matter what you do, but don't expect to win...even the computer on "easy" can be pretty mean at times...and most new players, I've found, don't put the computer on "easy".