.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 30th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod in Progress: CPCS - CrossPathCombatSpells

-Does anyone know what are actual bonuses granted by the "unholy power" - effect?

--> from THE MANUAL!!!!!! + 4 attack and +4 AP
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
from THE MANUAL!!!!!! + 4 attack and +4 AP
Oh, right. Forgot about that. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
I wonder what happens if a cloud spell uses #nextspell "flame eruption"? Will the cloud explode every turn? What about a cloud followed by Falling Frost, would it center on the cloud or would the cloud "cast" it and choose a target as normal?
I have no idea, but it's sure to be entertaining. I won't likely test that since no spell in planning has to use that kind of effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
Possible Earth/Air spell: has three low-precision effects, each casts an area puff around itself. It's like Legions of Steel, except that it covers an uneven area, and you get more effects with higher Earth (so the affected area scales up very fast).
Hmm.. possibly. It would take some time to write all those #nextspells. It has the sound of complexity for complexines's (is that a word?) sake.

I just noted that I'm having a bit of trouble writing the description. Just running them through a spellchecker doesn't make them well written. If someone with good skills in english grammar would like to be of assistance, it'd be sweet.

I'll be soon making the first release version. But I'll give it thread of it's own. I'll keep the spell list and non-bug-related discussion here.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I'm very happy to be the spelling and grammar man. PM me when you've got a draft for me to read, and I'll go through it.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
The Following User Says Thank You to llamabeast For This Useful Post:
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road

Just today reading the Astrapelagist's description in Bogarus gave me an idea for a spell.

Twice-Blasted Curse
AAS
Range: 30+
Damage: 5+ AN Lightning damage
Secondaryeffectalways: Curse

More or less, a less-powerful lightning bolt that also curses the target.

Edit: Hrm. I see that we already have an A/S spell. Perhaps the Anger of God, to mimic Wrath of God (global), should be moved to S/A? Or I can change this up:

Twice-Blasted Curse
SSA
Effect: Curse (MR negates)
SecondaryEffect: 3 AN lightning damage

Also, for underwater...

Crushing Pressure
AW
Range: 35+
AoE: 1+
Damage: 12
SecondaryEffect: Fear(0)

Basically, a 'normal damage' attack that can also do Fear, only allowed underwater. Should be extremely effective against common underwater chaff.

Edit2: Oh yes, and I see in the original post we have a "Fall Winds" spell, and an "Autumn Winds" spell. Shouldn't the healing one be "Spring Winds"?

Last edited by VedalkenBear; February 2nd, 2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
I'm very happy to be the spelling and grammar man. PM me when you've got a draft for me to read, and I'll go through it.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedalkenBear View Post
Just today reading the Astrapelagist's description in Bogarus gave me an idea for a spell.

Twice-Blasted Curse
AAS
Damage: 5+ AN Lightning damage
Secondaryeffectalways: Curse

More or less, a less-powerful lightning bolt that also curses the target.

Edit: Hrm. I see that we already have an A/S spell. Perhaps the Anger of God, to mimic Wrath of God (global), should be moved to S/A? Or I can change this up:

Twice-Blasted Curse
SSA
Effect: Curse (MR negates)
SecondaryEffect: 3 AN lightning damage

Also, for underwater...

Crushing Pressure
AW
Range: 35+
AoE: 1+
Damage: 12
SecondaryEffect: Fear(0)

Basically, a 'normal damage' attack that can also do Fear, only allowed underwater. Should be extremely effective against common underwater chaff.

Edit2: Oh yes, and I see in the original post we have a "Fall Winds" spell, and an "Autumn Winds" spell. Shouldn't the healing one be "Spring Winds"?
Unfortunately, I've done both A/S and S/A spell. But that could work as a S/F spell. I've added "Cursed by Flame" to the list.

I'll also change the spell in one minor way. I'll make the curse the major effect and the damage secondary. Thus the unit will get cursed first and the receive damage -> making him likely to receive afflictions. Synergy man, synergy!

I also added your UW combat spell, what could you explain the reason for air magic? I could see it as a pure water spell.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Err... isn't Astral Fire S/F? Do you really need another one? Synergy is all well and good, but balance is also rather useful at times. My second Twice-Blasted Curse was designed in the 'synergistic' way you propose. If you want something _really_ evil, you could do

Cursed Barb
NS
Nbr of Effects: 1+
Range: 30+ (or so)
Damage: 15 + curse
Secondary Effect: Strong/Death Poison

If each 'tick' of poison damage has a separate chance of giving Afflictions, this could rack them up in no time.

The UW spell was originally designed to be the exact opposite of Sailor's Death; that is, fill the 'gills' of Aquatic troops with Air. That is why it would be AW. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to target just Aquatic troops, so the spell was reconcepted to use expanding air in water to create the same kind of shockwave that can occur on land (such as from lightning strikes).

Could it be just Water? Sure, but Water already has enough tricks for Underwater.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

My spell was inspired by Sailors' Death as well, but the post seems to have been glossed over.....
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedalkenBear View Post
Err... isn't Astral Fire S/F? Do you really need another one? Synergy is all well and good, but balance is also rather useful at times. My second Twice-Blasted Curse was designed in the 'synergistic' way you propose. If you want something _really_ evil, you could do

Cursed Barb
NS
Nbr of Effects: 1+
Range: 30+ (or so)
Damage: 15 + curse
Secondary Effect: Strong/Death Poison

If each 'tick' of poison damage has a separate chance of giving Afflictions, this could rack them up in no time.

The UW spell was originally designed to be the exact opposite of Sailor's Death; that is, fill the 'gills' of Aquatic troops with Air. That is why it would be AW. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to target just Aquatic troops, so the spell was reconcepted to use expanding air in water to create the same kind of shockwave that can occur on land (such as from lightning strikes).

Could it be just Water? Sure, but Water already has enough tricks for Underwater.
Cursed Barbs is a sweet idea, I like the way our dicussions seem to go. My orginal idea for N/S combo wouldn't have worked anyway.

That Air explanation is a bit of stretch, it would probably be better if I didn't have to explain the spells physics in the description test. Yeah, and you can't make a spell that targets only amphibians, you can only exclude them (like constructs).

Earthquake is resistable by def, I know that. But anyone know the number it tests against? I was thinking of making a "quicksand" spell for W/E that'd instakill and be resisted by def and wondering if it could be balanced.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Earthmeld + Quicksand = DOOM!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

Burn: Wait, you can exclude a certain type of monster from an effect? Then can you exclude amphibious creatures from an UW-only spell? That would 95% of the effect of an aquatic-only spell, no? You could name the spell 'Sailor's Revenge', in that case.

Jim: Ah, no, I did see your spell, but I think I saw mine from a flavor perspective, while yours is more from a mechanical perspective. Sailor's Death uses Water to suffocate land units; your spell uses Earth to suffocate water units. Same effect. Mine was more of a literal inversion of the effect. Sailor's Death turns air into water. My spell turns water into air.