World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old October 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Assault Breecher Vehicle

Does anyone know for certain if the Assault Breecher Vehicle has full Thermal Imaging capability or not ?

Don
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Sergeant

oragus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Assault Breecher Vehicle

Don,

No not for certain. This is the only weapon's sight it has I believe by looking at its pictures thoroughly. Although I am not certain what the large device is that is mounted towards the rear and between the MICLIC boxes. All the other sensors and cameras are for the remote control options. The commander's/gunner's sight judging by the size and the anti-laser reflective vision block coating it most likely has thermals incorperated in it. But just guessing. I haven't found any information at all on its sighting systems. I would think its a safe assumption until more is released about this vehicle.

Oragus

Last edited by oragus; October 11th, 2010 at 01:03 PM..
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Assault breacher vehicle? It should have the 165mm gun to breach something actually, like this it's just a well-armored dozer
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

According to one source on Tanknet the......

Quote:
" "R2-D2" looking thing on the top of the turret is a gimbal mount cam, with thermal imaging and a range finder built in "
...though I really have NO idea why it would need a range finder unless it was all part of the package that was bolted to the top. Apparently there are cameras all over the vehicle and it can be operated remotely so TI would be very useful under those circumstances.

The US Army is buying them as well

Don
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

The LRF might be there just to measure ranges in "engineering" terms, ie. say "how far to the other bank" or so?
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:21 PM

Sergeant

Yep, that is the camera for remote operations, but no idea about the TI or LRF in there also. I do know that when I operated the M728 CEV all the range finder equipment from the M60A1s and A3s were removed. No need for a range finder. We had our normal sighting systems and that was it and a good crew would hit very proficently. They developed all that technology out of the Panther programs. Remote operated M60 and M1 hulls with mine rollers mounted on them.

The ABV does not need to know where the other bank is, it does not deploy a bridge. The JAB, Joint Assault Bridge, does and it don't need to know that either. I also operated the AVLB, Armored Vehicle Launched Bridge, both M48A5 and M60 variants that are still in service today, till they get phased out by the JAB of course. Its about time! lol

The ABV's MICLIC has one range and one range only and one command. FIRE!. lol. The rocket takes the charges to its full range, they blow it, follow up with the plow, deploy markers while plowing and minefield is breeched. When I was in the army that took 2 vehicles to do. Usually a M113 towing a MICLIC trailer partnered with either a M728 CEV or a M9 A.C.E., Armored Combat Earthmover. The MICLIC was fired, the blade assest would follow up the MICLIC charge, then the M113 would cover the men marking the lane thru the minefield. I have seen and heard of them mounting 2 MICLIC boxes on a AVLB without its bridge to have more protection and 2 breeches out of one vehicle during Desert Storm, but only in pictures. I never saw it first hand.

Oragus
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Assault Breecher Vehicle

Been on a mini Ann. vacation, don't know if you still need this info or not. It seems that the sight might support remote weapons ops for the .50 cal and grenade launchers as these refs. "loosely" suggest. Please keep in mind this platform has several remote operated systems but based on it's position, it's "look" and that it only has a crew of two, personally I'm thinking weapons for what it's worth.
http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-...ed-States.html
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ground/abv.htm and http://www.armyrecognition.com/unite...mation_uk.html

Pic:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABV Launching mine clearing det cord..jpg
Views:	252
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	10554 Click image for larger version

Name:	ABV msytery ring..jpg
Views:	257
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	10555 Both from armyrecognition.com and notice in the 2nd pic how the cord runs into a "box" just forward and about even to the ring. Spare det. line cord?

Regards,
Pat
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Sergeant

Pat,

What cord? I don't see a cord, can you please show me what you are referring to?

Thanks,

Oragus
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Assault Breecher Vehicle

Oragus,
I was looking at the picture you submitted and looking at the black round "tire hub" object mounted on the "superstructure" it's just that. But if you look closely at the second picture I submitted it looks like there's some kind of "cord" or "cable" wound around it. Maybe it's just my eyes?

Regards,
Pat
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:53 AM

Sergeant

Pat,

Oh I see what you are talking about. That is a spare road wheel mounted there on both sides of the turret. If you look closely, that cord or cable you are referring to is actually a tow cable mounted there.

Oragus
The Following User Says Thank You to oragus For This Useful Post: