.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 24th, 2020, 01:45 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: WW3: Not so welcome

DEFINITELY reminds me of an early WW II scenario.

The T-14s (and largely T-15s) are essentially immune to tank and ATGM fire so you have to wait till they enter towns/woods and flank or rear shot them. Thus it's mostly infantry with LAAWs doing most of the heavy lifting ... makes em feel useful again!!!

Thank god (or Andy maybe ) the AI can't coordinate it's armor and infantry.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 24th, 2020, 02:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WW3: Not so welcome

If we could code this so the AI would do combined arms right out of the textbook my guess is most players would give up on it as unplayable to them......or we'd get "bug" reports that the AI must be cheating to be that good.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 24th, 2020, 02:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
If we could code this so the AI would do combined arms right out of the textbook my guess is most players would give up on it as unplayable to them......or we'd get "bug" reports that the AI must be cheating to be that good.
DO IT!
Or at least add an option to switch this off or on.

In order to show you how much you should do it, listen to you doing it for roughly 268,435,456 times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_9ucFfhdI
Old March 24th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The most important word in my sentence was the first one.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 25th, 2020, 12:57 AM

Lieutenant General

Mmmmmm ...

As a programmer myself (tho I'm not familiar with WinSPMBTs source code) you could give units in the same formation a "command radius" and if they start to outrun the slowest unit in the formation they pause in place till it re-enters the "command radius".

Not a perfect solution BY ANY MEANS, but fairly easy to code and would at least keep mixed vehicle/infantry formations fairly cohesive.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 26th, 2020, 04:35 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

The problem I am guessing is a complete rewrite of the code, units do not take other friendly units into account there turn is an independent thing.
Then there is turn order A0 BO B1 B2 etc. depending on where the unit is it needs to behave differently during its turn. Is AO at the front or rear when its turn is due.
Old March 26th, 2020, 04:40 AM

Lieutenant General

Good point.

Old April 7th, 2020, 04:15 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Played it through, but as a two scen campaign. Switched Player 1 to Sweden.

Assuming a newly established Fourth Brigade HQ has been deployed to Germany in accordance with the Swedish declaration of solidarity.

Subordinated to the fourth brigade HQ are:

4. Brigade Recce Coy (CV90)

41. Mech Bn (122/90)
42. Mech Bn (122/90)
43. Mech Bn (122/90)

92. Art Bn (Archer)

1. Coy/22 Eng Bn (Patgb203)

4. AA Coy (Rb70/Rb90)

1. Coy/LBB (Airmobile Bn)

Also deployed to Germany:

SOG Team (Special Forces)

Helicopter Group (Hkp 16 Blackhawk)

Air Force Squadron (JAS 39)

Und Bat Element (UAV)

Turn 1-10

Recon effort by Und Bat using UAVs idendify movment of heavy enemy forces along the full breadth of the Brigade front, exception Hovenhop Boglands.

Swedish artillery is committed to degrade enemy air defences. A wave of 39s with Mavericks are inbound.

The trouble at GLINSTEDT is dealt with by assault from the attached SOG Team, Airmobile Company and Brigade Engineer Company. It is a quick but vicious fight. Heavy enemy artillery against GLINSTEDT cause extensive damage to the attacking Swedish force. After the initial fighting no further action takes place here, except for scattered enemy artillery fire.

All Swedish Mech Battalions are quickly engaged. Tank main gun ammo is consumed at an alarming rate. Losses occur on both sides although many hits bounce off the armour. The Russian advance is relentless. Russian artillery very dangerous. Off three Swedish off-map 155mm batteries two are destroyed by RU counter-battery fire. No Russian off-map artillery suffers the same fate, but Swedish on map 155mm and 120mm assets take a heavy toll on Russian on map air defence and artillery.

A flanking move is initiated by Sierra India (Bde Recce Coy) and Quebec November (1. Tank Coy/Mech Bn 43) aiming to skirt the Havenhop Boglands and hit the enemy from an unexpected direction.

Turn 11-16

The Russian advance continues. Flanking shots are the most effective, but kills due to frontal hits occur on both sides while most hits do not cause damage to either side’s tanks.

The Swedish CV90s are too fragile to stand up to fighting head on but can damage T-15s at close range.

Russian fixed wing air makes an appearance but cause little damage and is dealt with by Swedish AA.
Russian attack helicopters also put in an effort. They prove very hard to deal with, none is shot down and only two are damaged and retreat off-map. It is an abyssal failure of the Swedish AA Corps only mitigated by the fact that the helicopters ATGMs generally fail to penetrate the Strv 122B’s armour.

A second UAV recon effort result in the loss of all UAVs but the 39s attacking in two waves with their Mavericks are highly successful.

Turn 17

The game ends, a little surprisingly.

The Russian Brigade is in bad shape, but still have a few AFVs intact, most of its helicopters, and a strong (though disorganized) dismounted infantry component.

The on-map losses are about twice as heavy for the attacking Russians. The Russian attack makes the most progress in the area of GNARRENBURG.

Russian losses are about twice as heavy in AFVs and men.

The scenario AI Russian side behaves fine.

The map is very good – however, on my machine using the clear smoke button changes some hexes on the player 1 side. About a 5 hex broad section running the entire length of the map is affected. It has no impact on the scenario.
Old April 7th, 2020, 05:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post

The map is very good – however, on my machine using the clear smoke button changes some hexes on the player 1 side. About a 5 hex broad section running the entire length of the map is affected. It has no impact on the scenario.
An example of what you are seeing would be helpful for before and after but even a "Do A then B and you get C" instructions as well as some idea about HOW it's affected.

I don't see any change to the stock map when using the clear smoke button but I have no idea where to look exactly either

Old April 7th, 2020, 10:29 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Tried to make a screenshot. I have fiddled with lots of parts of the game incl. the OOBs, probably is just my machine.

Last edited by wulfir; April 7th, 2020 at 10:36 AM..