The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old September 26th, 2018, 02:37 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Another story from Hue City

Gunney Canley,1968 Vietnam

It was 1968 and the Tet Offensive was raging as American forces moved to retake Huế city, located in central Vietnam on the banks of the Perfume River. Ten thousand North Vietnamese and Vietcong troops seized the heart of the city, turning houses and streets into bunkered positions.

Retired Marine Sergeant Major John Canley, who at the time was serving as the company gunnery sergeant for Alpha Company First Battalion, First Marine Regiment, dropped the wounded Marine on his shoulder behind a covered position, turned, and walked back to grab the second injured Marine—dropping him off only to return and retrieve the third Marine.

“My troops pursued this to no end because they felt I was deserving of it,” Canley told Newsweek. “Now for me, I just happened to be their leader at the time, and it was an honor to be a leader of Marines in Vietnam. As a leader, if you take care of the troops, you really don’t have to worry about the mission.”

Source: (Newsweek, https://www.newsweek.com/who-john-ca...-honor-1137031)

I know this sounds strange, but he wasn't one of these gruff, screaming guys. You did stuff for him because you didn't want to disappoint him," he said. "You followed him because he was a true leader -- something you need in life-and-death situations.

"He was totally fearless," Ligato added. "He loved his Marines, and we loved him back."

During the mission, the former gunnery sergeant, assigned to Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, was tasked with leading more than 140 men through an intense week-long battle to retake Hue City from Jan. 31 to Feb. 6, 1968.

Source: (Military.com, https://www.military.com/daily-news/...dal-honor.html)

Ret Sergeant Major Conley today

Drop whatever else you're doing Suhiir and get to work on your Hue City scenario.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg canley-2-1200.jpg (50.7 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg john-canleymoh.jpg (25.4 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by shahadi; September 27th, 2018 at 12:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post: