.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KingMaker - let the Ascension War commence!

I am surely going to write some AAR. But it will take some time to make screenshots, look at old turns etc. I can also pack all my turns files, if it can be done easily, so everybody could take a look.

General history of my nation:
- I got good borders through diplomacy, about 25 provs without fighting
- I had early fights with MA Atlantis, let's call it a draw
- I got enough peace to get really good gem income and get a lead with research, even with Drain 2
- my first war [with MA Caelum] started around turn 25-30, when I already had Tomb Oracles
- I put Forge of the Ancients up for 2 turns [dispeled it myself to not get too much attention] and forged 90% of artifacts
- there were some possible plans to attack Helheim, but I had MA Atlantis behind me and I had no idea what to expect from him, so he became my target
- MA Atlantis was winning with LA Pangaea, so finishing off LA Pan was an obvious choice, after MA Atlantis was killed [and LA Pan had 3 caps]
- with the change of Helheim player and dom spread started by previous one, my plan to attack him became real
- war with Helheim was very swift - there was no resistance, so I grabbed EA TC cap without problem, also most of his lands [with the help of my ally TNN]
- meanwhile I conquered EA Marverni from MA Arco [that went AI]
- plans to storm EA Helheim cap were postponed by Mictlan going AI [probably because of that armageddon spam?], I shifted my forces to grab as much Mictlan land as possible, before Lanka does it
- and after that I decided that it's good time to try teleport grab remaining VPs, so I took my chances and it worked

I also got gem donations from various nations - more details in coming [tomorrow] Thank You post

LA Agartha guide
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Sergeant

Falkor is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Zeldor!

Perfect timing!
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road

Didn't I predict somewhere that no one would win Kingmaker? Looks like I was wrong

Congrats to everyone who managed to survive until the end, it's too bad I couldn't join that group

And it ends right as I go back to school too. It's definitely incredible timing--bit late for a Christmas miracle though (or Generic Winter Holiday Act of Incredible Improbability, for those of you who like to be politically correct )
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:55 PM

First Lieutenant

LoloMo is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Zeldor! Well Done!
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Sergeant

Reay is on a distinguished road

Well done Zeldor. I never could have managed such a large empire so I am glad my ally won the game.

I now realise how powerful raiding glamoured Ri's and Sidhe lords can be. I had about 30 fully kitted out and only lost about 3-4 the entire game due to leech's or drain lifes.

My god was heavily horror marked most of the game. Luckily she managed to kill about 50 horrors including 4 doom horrors (2 in one turn). High MR was the key to her continued survival.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

My first war was with Pythium. That went swimmingly, about as well as could be expected.

My second war was with Agartha - and I never really recovered. I made a huge number of significant mistakes that cost me several air jarls - and once I was in it that deep, I certainly couldn't afford to pull out without a win, and I lost more giants, equipment, and jarls. This invasion was a major mistake any way you slice it, but I might have recovered if not for some almost comical errors (I kept optimizing my research *before* setting units to forge, for example.)

As a side project, I invaded some ocean positions - and at the same time I fought a fairly disastrous war with Bandar Log. In theory, this could've led to my victory, as it enabled my allies to smash several enemies in the far south, but it just didn't pan out, and I left my jarls far too exposed to a late-game enemy.

On this last turn, my sea army was heading north to get into the other pond. They weren't on a lab province on the crucial turn that his forces arrived - so I had no water breathing items to outfit my teleporters! I probably could've held those two fortresses if I'd been able to gate stuff under the water, but with no water breathing items and my water breathing troops not at a lab. Sigh.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Zeldor!

A winner to a mege game.

For my part, it was my intent from the start to play a few rounds and exit in a blaze of glory. After a couple of successful wars against EA Aysia and LA Tien Chi, I was going to do a suicide attack on Zeldor. It was obvious to me that his lead was getting too large, and that for whatever reason the Weatern nations refused to deal with him.

But my plans on attacking Zeldor got undermined by a suicide attack on me by Ulm.That was not a big delay, but then Bandar Log and LA Marignon, for reasons that will never be clear to me, attacked as well. Normally I see that they thought a 2 v 1(3 if you count ulm) should result in a win, but any that have fought me know that wins are never quick or easy.

Moreover, I had told both of these nations I was going to attack la agartha. Had they waited a bit, they could have had my empire and it would have been crippled by my war with Zeldor. And it was intent to hurt Zeldor enough to let one of the Eastern powers gain the upper hand.

But as they say the best laid plans of mice and men.........

I will say this. Zeldor must have a sweeter tongue for diplomacy. My gunboat diplomacy failed in this game.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Here is my last turn file. I can answer all questions
Attached Files
File Type: zip late_agartha.trn.zip (177.9 KB, 105 views)

LA Agartha guide
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, explain this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
Bleh, my starting position really really really sucks. I have no idea how could someone approve it for starting :/ I think someone owes me 50% of his income for having the game restarted...
Taken from the first page

I don't seem to be able to download the map from Mediafire, so at least I can't view your turn...
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

OK, i have declared the game finished.

Turn 89 for a megagame is quite short

congratulations Zeldor