.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excellent software for mapmakers

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
That wouldnt be bad. Screen capture it, remove all pure white (255,255,255), add province lines and one pure white dot to each province, save it in a format that Dom3 can "see", use the dom3 map editor to add terrain values and set who is neighbor of who...

It would offer some very interesting icons to expand on. Edit that province to match why there is a tower or treasure or monster there. That would be way cool.
Yeap, actually this map editor might be very good to make maps. Hm....my elder brother bought HoMM 3. & Armageddon's Blade expansion long time ago. Hopefully he can find the game somewhere in his house.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

What about the CivIV map editor? you could only do terrain probably, but it can make very cool looking worlds, and you can zoom out far enough to take a screenshot that might look ok. Not too sure though, since I haven't played Civ in quite a while.
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

They all will only do terrain. Only DomMap (for Dom2) and the Dom3 map generator will create a .map file for full play. But interesting scenery is what we have in mind. We can take it into the Dom3 map editor to get a .map file for it.
(well, someone can. Im too lazy)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Major

Quote:
Frostmourne27 said:
What about the CivIV map editor? you could only do terrain probably, but it can make very cool looking worlds, and you can zoom out far enough to take a screenshot that might look ok. Not too sure though, since I haven't played Civ in quite a while.
Yeah I was thinking about this game also. Anyways now I am trying to get HoMM III. from my brother. I think that map editor would be perfect, especially if someone ccould edit [photoshop] the created maps a bit. I will surely give it a try.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Hmmm - I wonder what version of Campaign Cartographer I have, since they have an upgrade offer for as far back as V2....
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:
That software costs more than the Dominions3 game. Anyone know of some free mapmaking software ?

It does? Dom3 : $54.95. CC3 (given that they still only have the Early Adopter, $44.95 for download only, $51.95 for download plus CD/hardcopy) seems a little cheaper. Then again, it's only a tool and not a game.
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

You could also use the HoMM II map editor and random map generator, if you can't get the HoMM III one.
(I also suppose that if you intend to buy it, HoMM II will be cheaper than getting HoMM III Complete).

And besides, all the Hardcore HoMMers know that HoMM II is the best game, while HoMM III is merely the most popular one.

BTW, you could also use the Warlords: Battlecry II/III map editor, it has nice blending effects and quite large tiles.
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Major

Quote:
Cainehill said:

Hmmm - I wonder what version of Campaign Cartographer I have, since they have an upgrade offer for as far back as V2....
Hopefully you will upgrade/buy CC3, so that more players will create cool maps. I plan to buy it, but first I want to take a look at the HoMM 3. editor, it looks decent also.

Old September 11th, 2006, 06:08 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
You could also use the HoMM II map editor and random map generator, if you can't get the HoMM III one.

BTW, you could also use the Warlords: Battlecry II/III map editor, it has nice blending effects and quite large tiles.
I actually have the map generators/editors for Heroes_III:Complete, Civilization_4, Warlords:Battlecry_III and AgeofWonders:ShadowMagic.
Using GIMP I'm thinking the best images from each can be merged into one map.

What's everyones opinion for the best way to capture the complete map image from these games?
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Major

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Quote:
Agrajag said:

I actually have the map generators/editors for Heroes_III:Complete, Civilization_4, Warlords:Battlecry_III and AgeofWonders:ShadowMagic.
Using GIMP I'm thinking the best images from each can be merged into one map.

What's everyones opinion for the best way to capture the complete map image from these games?

Well I have Corel X3, and it contains Corel Capture X3, and it is an awesome screenshot maker. If you dont have any screen capturing utility, maybe the old Windows Print Screen could work very well? .. but I am unsure about it.

PS. Can you make a "basic" map in HoMM 3 [land,seas,trees,mountains], and upload it to imageshack? I would like to see it. If its possible make a 1280x1024 screenshot about it at least. Thanks in advance.