.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 1st, 2004, 11:09 AM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road
Default Military Organization!!!

I've been playing Dominions for over two months now and am still ignorant of superior Army set-up tactics. There are many types of armies, with varied roles. I'd like input about favorite army compositions and what they're used for.
Personally, I tend to issue forth grand armies with too few leaders. When you 'GO TO WAR' are your sages putting on they're battle goggles, or do you use summons? What leaders fill which roles? Bring it on peope. I need an education!
-Yc
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM

Corporal

incognito is on a distinguished road
Default On Leaders

First, make sure you have many leaders capable of leading the specific troops you've got (eg some leaders cannot lead undead/magical beings). Otherwise you are extremely vulnerable to earth attack/seeking arrow/wind ride/mind hunt/seduce commander etc. Nothing like seeing that grand force sitting like a lump, leaderless.

Second, ideally you have a leader with astral. That heads off the aforementioned mind hunt.

Third, spell support is critical. Good mages scripted to cast buffs, artillery, etc is the difference maker while the rank & file troops soak up the enemy's return salvos.

Fourth, design armies for specific purposes. Be aware of what the implicit purposes are. Some armies fare well against SC's, some are meat. Know in advance what you want the army to do and design it to accomplish its objective.

Personally, I like a few ethereal leaders (better resistance to wind ride or seeking arrow) leading my troops from the rear in concert with battle mages (generally not my sages). While the idea of fodder is nice - like scouts - to soak up enemy attacks, it is often difficult for said fodder to keep pace with the main force. In mid-late game, no army should be snail'ing across the map towards its objective. Forces should be teleported/astral travelled/etc into their destination for a lightning strike. Attacks that leave armies exposed should be multi-pronged to divide the enemies likely artillery responses, etc.
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:33 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On Leaders

I'm hearing ya! In games with clam-hoarding, summoning at least one ether-gate allows for some beefy guards for vulnerable leaders (level 5 priests). The Ether lord 3 astral 2 death 1random is etherial (duuhh), and seems worth his cost as a battle mage. 90 astral is expensive, but good leaders that can lead normal/magic/undead are hard to find.

It seems that if you choose Luck scales (Free gems) instead of Order (Free gold), you've got to hire magical leaders in mass. As T'ien Ch'i (Spring and Autumn) I'm having BIG trouble finding fielding leaders.
-Yc
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM

Corporal

incognito is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On Leaders

I might also recommend ethereal cloaks, an easy get with clamhoarding. Given that E4 mages are somewhat uncommon, it's one of the few ways to stop wind ride.