.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random New Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amonchakad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturas View Post
Oops, almost forgot: How do terror/frighten work? Do theyf orce the targeted enemy units to take morale checks ala fear, or do they lower he enemy morale, or both?
I just ran a test game, and here are the conclusions:

- Frighten lowers morale by 6, it stacks, and it looks like it doesn't enfore a morale check

-Terror lowers morale by 5, stacks with both itself and frighten, and looks like it forces a check (i had a squad routing immediately after terror without taking a single hit,so it should be that)

As i said they stack,so they can even reduce morale to negative with repeated castings, but the affected unit recover morale, getting back to the original value after 2-3 turns
The effects of Fear (Frighten/Terror/etc.) are highly variable, sometimes a single casting will reduce morale by 10 or more and sometimes it leaves it untouched. I'm not sure what the pattern is, but high-morale units seem less likely to take a big Morale hit than low-morale units, so perhaps it decreases Morale by some fraction of the margin of failure. According to the manual, a unit which has lowered Morale from Fear will recover 1/2 of its Morale every turn (so if you're down 10 on turn 1 you'll be down 5 next turn and then down 2 and then down 1 and then back at full Morale) and this generally accords with what I see in practice.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff
Only when an army is invading a province from which an enemy army is attacking them is there a chance of the army not moving. In that case, A->B->A, both armies may fight in A or in B or may miss each other and swap provinces.
I think there is an order that has to do with province number.
Player A attacks province 1 from 2, Player B attacks 2 from 1. If player B's army can't sneak past pA's one the battle will always be resolved in province 1. Or the opposite, can't remember.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amonchakad View Post
Just did.As all magic attacks happen before the movement phase, any movement who passes through a province that was conquered by the enemy in the magic phase will be canceled(the units will just stay in the province where they were the last turn).
I dont believe this. I tested this myself early on in dom3 and found that magical attacks which break the route of a normal moving army do NOT effect thier final movement. Havent heard about this being patched (or the developers even caring)?

EDIT: Actually I've now been assured that it has in fact changed, tho not listed in the changelog. Disregard this post.

Last edited by Ironhawk; June 1st, 2009 at 06:50 PM..
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

OH, it must have been changed with all that checks for drowning etc. So another check validating movement. And earlier they told it was WAG, not bug

LA Agartha guide
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:59 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

I don't believe that the "taking an intervening friendly territory cancelling movement" actually has been fixed.

Or at least not all cases.