.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pythium, the Second Empire (v.0.8) - Updated 24.3.2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
I can send my system spec, game files etc. if it helps. Don't know what's more effort, to put this mod after CBM or try to debug strange conflicts like I have.
A new version and I made a version of the mod that also includes CBM 1.6. I also used this chance to do a small update and made the "Divine Wrath" spell reguire research (just to be on the safe side, castable "Ark" effect is nothing to sneeze at, even if it reguires H8 to cast). Another update was to make a "Secrets" file for this mod, like I have done to Bretonnia and Dwarfs.

So now, in the graphic folder (called "Byzantine") of this mod, there is a a .txt file called "Pythian Secrets", which explains the many nuances of the mod and effects of the spells in gameplay terms. Warning though, the file could be considered as a spoiler fest, but good for players who do not want to second guess what a spell actually does.

Last edited by Burnsaber; March 24th, 2010 at 02:52 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burnsaber For This Useful Post:
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pythium, the Second Empire (v.0.81)

I am with burnsaber on the alchemist vs artisan debate. You don't really need huge numbers of alchemists. You DO want to hopefully get a few artisans for each path. If you get more than you need you can use extra s guys as site searchers, same with water ones if you can make water bracelets at the time. You'll want some of those anyway to let them forge higher path items, boost alchemists, etc. And since it's really just the alchemists and the artisans competing for the capitol mage slot, I don't think it's really a big problem.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

A really nice mod, and the amateur of pythian double edged weaponry can only be happy with the change ! Anything not totally fire immune tends to burn so well (along with the pyrote, for sure), that I wonder if they're not a too good counter to much costlier units/strategies.

Senior member of the GLIN !
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Theurgs are supposed to be 2s2h+1[a/w/f] right?- At least that's how they're shown in recruit. screen.
The thing is, last turn I got a 2s2h2a Theurg. how come?- WAD or Bug?
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humakty View Post
Anything not totally fire immune tends to burn so well (along with the pyrote, for sure), that I wonder if they're not a too good counter to much costlier units/strategies.
That is a valid concern. Never though of it like that. Pyrotes are quite easy to counter, but they themselves might really be a too good of a counter. Now that I have made "Divine Wrath" thaum 7, Pyrotes really are my only concern about the balance of this mod on this point. After all, the goal of this mod is to give an sort of alternate weaker version for Pythium for those who would like that kind of thing.

Does anyone else have any opinions on the matter? I'm kinda tempted to up their costs just because they are rather micro intensive (both for you* and your opponent*) so I don't want there to be too many of them around.

*The best to way to wield Pyrotes is to mix them with chaff and place in this loose formation in several squads ( sort of like archer decoys). Ironically, the exact same type of placement is also the best counter for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
Theurgs are supposed to be 2s2h+1[a/w/f] right?- At least that's how they're shown in recruit. screen.
The thing is, last turn I got a 2s2h2a Theurg. how come?- WAD or Bug?
WAD, I admit the current layout is a bit confusing, but it is the only way to give linked randoms with modding tools we got, so it's not like I have a choice. It's mentioned in the "Pythian Secrets" file. I gave them linked randoms because I don't want them to be able to get W+F and cast acid spells (thematic concern). The linked randoms also makes them better battlefield mages to sort of "make up" for the loss of Arch Theurgs.

I also hope that this means that the current version is working on your end?
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

I would have to test a lot to know the right cost fo pyrotes. They tend to get hit easily, but don't die that fast. Maybe lowering their hp by 1 and keeping cost as is? Increasing the cost may make them to expensive to ever recruit so I think the increase shouldn't be too steep. Maybe more an increase of resources cost, so you can't mass produce a lot of them in one turn?
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Working. I'm enjoying every second of playing with this nation
To tell the truth I love the original MA Pyth. as well. I also would have liked very much to see them both enabled.
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiCesare View Post
I would have to test a lot to know the right cost fo pyrotes. They tend to get hit easily, but don't die that fast. Maybe lowering their hp by 1 and keeping cost as is? Increasing the cost may make them to expensive to ever recruit so I think the increase shouldn't be too steep. Maybe more an increase of resources cost, so you can't mass produce a lot of them in one turn?
Uh... I, personally, could see a gcost increase before an rcost increase They already cost ridiculous amounts of resources. I'm playing a game with SEVEN provinces adjacent to my capitol and production 2, the most I can recruit in a single turn is 9. They do, though, seem like a really good counter to most sacreds, since they don't even have to land their attack to hit. OTOH, I fail to see them as being better than ma abysia's recruitable fire lizards, since they're almost as much of a danger to you as to your enemy, and said fire lizards are 45 gold 1 resource per.

I haven't tried using them earlyish, because for that many resources... I fear they wouldn't be very efficient. But I finally used them my last turn under will of the fates and mistform. They were extremely effectice under those conditions, clearing good chunks of enemies every turn without really dying. I don't think fire resistant is enough either, you pretty much need fire immunity to go toe to toe with them.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

Well, on the opposite of salamanders, they do have good armor. Massed archers would make short work of salamanders. Plus they can hit deep in the ennemy formations. Massed mammoths or elephants would probably win a battle on a gold equivalent basis, but they'd need luck for it to be gold efficient. I've only had one occasion to test them against caelian mammoths, and they were impressive, just ten of them + velites, against 6 or so mammoths with support, and only one mammoth lived to speak about his great victory.

Further testing is maybe required before big modifications.

Senior member of the GLIN !