.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2004, 02:16 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New & raw web based Dominion II game server

I just tried starting a new game, and it doesn't seem to work: the game isn't reported as created, and there doesn't seem to be a Dom2 server at the address and port requested.
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

Esben Mose Hansen is on a distinguished road

Well, no. The problem is that "capitalvp" is on by default. I'm just now updating my scripts to accept most of the game options provided to the textbased server, but I'm not done yet.

But playing with VP seems to so much more fun?

Well, anyway, thanks for the game! While short it was long enough for me to finish implementing another feature: The web page now shows a listing over the players that have not yet moved this turn. Also, I'm preparing a (short) comment field for stuff like: "Start this game at 5 players, please!"
Old February 16th, 2004, 08:25 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Esben Mose Hansen:
I've uploaded a new Version of the hosting site. Most game options are now availble, though there's probably bugs. Report any you find here, please

I'll be gone working and visiting most of tommorow (2004-02-16). And now I'm going to get some sleep.

'night!
I believe you must have forgotten some part on the site: I see the same interface as before, with no more options. That may be why we cannot start new games.
Old February 16th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

Something must have gone wrong when I uploaded. Fortunately, I had the beta laying around on the server, so I've now really upgraded and tested the site.

I created a game on urgaia, 10 VP to win, 10 VP total and (I hope I checked this) one extra pr. capital. The game launched succesfully, and if anybody joins, I will start the game tommorow evening (local time, but very close to GMT).

Again, sorry. From now on, no more just-before-I-go-to-sleep upgrades.
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

I belive "No nation select when resuming" is a pointless switch for a server. It might be useful for clients who want to connect quickly, but they have to specify it on their computers anyway.
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Johan K:
I belive "No nation select when resuming" is a pointless switch for a server. It might be useful for clients who want to connect quickly, but they have to specify it on their computers anyway.
OK. I wasn't sure what it did, and decided to include it. I'll remove it.

In fact, I want to redesign the "New Game Section" to add some more descriptions and help for all the options... but first, I want to have AI's :-) And more stats
Old February 16th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Esben Mose Hansen:
but first, I want to have AI's :-) And more stats
Stats such as which nations are close to winning by VP would be VERY nice, if you can manage to extract them from the file. It is so easy to forget going to the right ledger page each and every turn, in order to see whether anybody else is close. (And to remind you that it is a VP game)

Which means that you can lose without expecting it

Of course, I would prefer if the GAME displayed an "You: x/maxVP Strongest enemy: y/maxVP" on the main game display all the time when playing a VP game, or second-best, displayed in line 1 of the monthly progress report, and likewise with dominion or province victory condition, but that is a different issue - and one that would make such games slightly more approachable. Having the enemies progress towards winning conditions hidden away in the second tier of a submenu has always seemed cruel and unusual punishment to me.
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Corporal

Tiltowait is on a distinguished road

"I hadn't thought about either Valentine holidays"

It's why I was not here at least, to give you my heartfelt thanks for doing this for the dominions 2 community! You are a saint!

My comments
-Would it be possible to set a force-hosting schedule? For instance, I want to start a game that forces a host Monday - Friday at 11:55PM, no force on weekends.

-Custom maps please? Pretty please? It's not so hard to download them, especially when people are going to spend weeks/months stareing at them. (and I designed all my maps for balance with multiple people, since I am sick of computer opponents, and I really want to get feedback about some big games on them)
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Re VP points: Definitely worth looking into. I'm not sure how much info can be extracted, but I'll try :-)

Custom maps: Point me to any, and I'll install them. I'll also make uploads possible once I've figured out how to do it without comprimising security totally. Anybody knows where dom attemps to load maps from? Only /usr/local/games/dominions2/maps?

And yes, the force host options are still missing. They will appear, probably tommorrow. I just have to design a bit of HTML first (and I'm not home tonight)

Thanks for your appreciation! The host is running 3 games right now without (apparrant) harm; I'll try to raise the limit to 10 :-D
Old February 16th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Try these MAPS