.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old February 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Corporal

Jamiri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Updated mod: The Babylon Project

Will we be seeing another update of the B5 mod soon?
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Private

PaddirN is on a distinguished road

Short answer: Might be awhile

Long Answer:
Unfortunately it will be a while before I get another release ready. I had barely started with the new update when disaster struck! Well not quite a disaster, but apparently a hard drive on my computer is going bad (many cyclic redundancy errors and unreadable files). So its been a mad dash to backup all my music, video, pr0n, warez, games, whathaveyou. You'd be surprised how slow a process it is trying to backup 230 some odd gigs worth of stuff onto dvds on my off hours before and after work. Nearly done with that and then a hard drive swap.

Apart from that I've been doing some job hunting and then there's a story or three I'm writing for a local zine my friends and I are working on. So for now all I can say is possibly sometime in the next month, maybe.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Corporal

Ok, take your time! Hardware issues never ain't easy stuff...
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:39 AM

Corporal

chabex is on a distinguished road

I hope everything is OK with PaddirN and his HDD... It's been a while since there were any lifesign.

In the meantime I played (of course) the mod and some questions popped up:

Is there any parameter set how frequently I can get the help of the First Ones or the Vorlons? It is damn hard to beat the Shadows without them. I have to have at least two additional big ships with me to use them as a "decoy" to get the first shot of the Battle Crab... Even with this a lots of luck involved.

Another thing: it would look cool if I have a small ship in my fleet (no stardrive) and when I got into the battle screen this small ship would be "launched" from my ship as from a mothership. Is it even possible?
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Corporal

Yeah, PaddirN, bring it on! Hope you recovered your HDD!

Quote:
chabex said:
Another thing: it would look cool if I have a small ship in my fleet (no stardrive) and when I got into the battle screen this small ship would be "launched" from my ship as from a mothership. Is it even possible?
No way, unless you have a fighter bay on your own ship that launches one single fighter only. Maybe there is a parameter that can be set to infinite (or near-infinite) time between launch intervals, so that only one ship is launched per battle.

The downside of this would be that even when the small ship was destroyed, it would be launched in the next battle again.
Old April 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM

Corporal

chabex is on a distinguished road

Hmm, it is maybe a small detail, but for me it is "Weird :-D" that a ship without stardrive can make it to the next star... Perhaps a tractor-like beam would be nice to see as it releases the small fighter behind the mothership?
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road

Well, i guess that's weird, but then again you wouldn't travel at the average speed of all your ships, either. YOu would travel at the speed of the slowest...unless you were towing them with the faster ships. In that case you'd need tractor beams between all the ships unless they had identical drives. I think it's best to just assume that they disengaged the tractor beam when they pulled up to the planet, because they were no longer travelling at a significant clip.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:54 AM

Corporal

When you enter a battle the fleet has already left hyperspace and hence travels without the need of warp drives.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

Private

PaddirN is on a distinguished road

Hi, sorry its been awhile since I've made any news on here. My HDD problems are all cleared up, but I've still been kept busy with other things: massive overtime at a job I'm trying to quit, spring qtr at school started, trying to transfer over to OSU, preparing to move, blah blah blah. So in short, I think my work on the Babylon Project mod will be at a standstill for awhile. Modding for a game seems like one of those hobbies that requires near total commitment which I don't have the luxury of at the moment.

But as for some earlier questions:

* Yes theres a parameter for making a ship launch out only a single fighter once per battle, but like jamiri said it'd show up in every battle, even if it were destroyed in a fight. It *might* be possible to do something with a device, it'd be very complicated to do I think and even if it worked there'd be inconsistencies.

* To make the First Ones appear more frequently you'd have to go into the quests firstones#.ini file (can't remember which # has the beacon) and make it into an always event, which should make it happen in every map. Other than that I don't remember there being a way to change the probability of an event happening.
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Private

mantari is on a distinguished road

Hi! Just wanted to say that I enjoyed this mod a great deal. You really did a great job in taking the base game and going beyond that, into a full-fledged theme. Also, I greatly enjoyed the greater balance in battle. So many times I managed to end a battle with a terribly damaged (but not destroyed) ship. Awesome. And an interesting take on the map (very large sized, and minimal 'unguarded' planets).

My only regret was that I got too spoiled on hyperdrive. I shamefully modded the Jump Point Generator back as a random item. (I could never seem to hit the quest to get one, and Mr. Morden has too high a price!)