BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 31st, 2014, 12:53 PM

Private

Artofwar is on a distinguished road
Default Fixing the tiny menu screens

I inquired about a mod or some way to make the menu screens get larger which get smaller as we all know when we increase the resolution of the game. Supposedly there is no mod but the CD version does have an enlarged Font setting under misc. but this I think barely makes the menu text noticeably larger.

I actually buy computer glasses to wear that give me optimum eyesight for my old eyes at the distance I look at my monitor at. Point is though...

somebody somewhere figured out somehow a way to make the text larger could they perhaps make it even larger like uh BIG maybe give us more options.

Is there any kind of other fix besides just playing on a DOS resolution setting like 800 x 600

Wait !!! I was able to fix the text size I ranted to soon but this setting kind of mind warps everything but I adjusted the desktop I went to Control Panel - Apperance and Personalization - then display. sorry bout spelling I actually went to it through my Video card menu by right clicking on my win7 desktop and choosing Personalize where it reads "make it easier to read whats on your screen" I can choose smaller, medium, and larger. It WAS set on medium and this is where it will be when not playing Steel Panthers but whilst playing it will be on Larger - I set it to larger and it really helps a lot. I will try and put up some screen shots brb ...

Ok this also fixes a scewed screen that I always get when I choose desktop or choose the same resolution that my desktop is set at - point is most people will not need to be concerned with this but this will make the menus larger which perhaps most are not if many do not have the display set to smaller or medium but if you do and don't know it this is how to check it. One last thing no matter what this will make the menus larger the text everything in the menus. - you can even make them smaller with this method.

you go to control panel then apperance and personalization and display

First go to Control Panel:
[IMG][/IMG]

Then go to Appearance and Personalization:
[IMG][/IMG]

Where you see DISPLAY click on "Make text and other items larger or smaller"
[IMG][/IMG]

Then choose which one you want to make it to. I choose Larger 150% it was set on medium and in this screen shot is set on Medium which is great for everyday use but with Steel Panthers it makes the menus to small AND, AND made the opening screen scewed to where I had to have my desktop resolution different from my resolution choice under the game - choosing desktop also made it scewed. But now everything fills up full screen and I can have it on Desktop - this only works if I choose Larger 150%.

It will have you log off of win7 but that is no big deal kind of like a quickie reboot.

This is the choose screenshot below:
[IMG][/IMG]

As mentioned before mine is set to medium but I change it to Larger when playing Steel Panthers.

Last edited by Artofwar; May 31st, 2014 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: fixed it
Old May 28th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Let's fix the tiny menu screens.....

You can also try Marat Tanalin's IntegerScaler.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:50 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

just try Windows key and PLUS key to zoom screen (and Windows key and ESC to return to normal)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:56 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
just try Windows key and PLUS key to zoom screen (and Windows key and ESC to return to normal)
I use Windows XP so can't test it, but it certainly sounds like the ugly, blurry, and interpolative zooming that will kill the pixel beauty of WinSPWW2.
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I tried it with win10 desktop windowed.

You need to run it each time you start and it doesn't do anything obvious when you do so you might think it does not work but pressing ALT+F11 will remove the "window" and taskbar when the game is running and give you a screen that looks like fullscreen. Pressing ALT+F11 again will bring the taskbar back so it does pretty much what borderless Gaming does in a slightly different way.

That said I need computer glasses as well and run the game at 1920x1080 and I have no problem at all reading the menu screen at normal 100 %. Any other increase degrades the sharpness of the game even though some of the scaling change MS has added lately make it better than before it's still not as sharp as it is at 100% and I find the sharper, albeit normal sized and smaller easier to read than the scaled up ones that show the game menu screens larger as the text is sharper at 100% even though it's smaller

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 28th, 2019 at 07:21 PM..
Old May 29th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
I use Windows XP so can't test it, but it certainly sounds like the ugly, blurry, and interpolative zooming that will kill the pixel beauty of WinSPWW2.

Only ever use it for buying forces - menus, Never whilst playing - "pixel beauty"

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old May 29th, 2019, 12:24 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I tried it with win10 desktop windowed.

You need to run it each time you start and it doesn't do anything obvious when you do so you might think it does not work but pressing ALT+F11 will remove the "window" and taskbar when the game is running and give you a screen that looks like fullscreen. Pressing ALT+F11 again will bring the taskbar back so it does pretty much what borderless Gaming does in a slightly different way.

That said I need computer glasses as well and run the game at 1920x1080 and I have no problem at all reading the menu screen at normal 100 %.
To preserve sharp pixels, that program applies an integer scaling factor. If you windowed resolution is 800x600 and your display is 1920x1080, then there simply is not room enough for even a 2x zoom. Can you try a 640x480 window for the sake of experiment?
Old May 29th, 2019, 02:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Anyone is free to experiment to find what works for them. For me at 1920x1080 on a 21 in monitor using windows desktop works best. These programs like borderless gaming and IntegerScaler along with some of the changes MS has made do allow the game to be played more clearly that in the past when the screen size is set to a value >100% and if that works for you..... great. But what " works for me" ( and Andy ) is windows desktop mode at 100%. I have no problem reading the menus and without my computer glasses I would need at least 50 point type and a good squint to read it without the glasses but with the glasses I can read scenario descriptions without a problem or the purchase menus and the game uses all the screen and I get full advantage of the map area displayed

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 29th, 2019, 05:23 PM

Corporal

That is all-right for your monitor, but as the DPI decreases the need will arise for integer scaling because the pixel-to-pixel zoom will become too small.