.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 19th, 2006, 01:03 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Copy Cat?

Quote:
DominionsFAN said:
I got Great Invasions on my main computer. Its a nice game, but its totally different then Doms. Btw the AI was horrible when the game was released, now after many patches its a bit better, but still dumb.
The game is also a bit too simple for me.
Do you also have Eu2 ?

In another forum where i frequently post some kind of Great Invasions beta tester made some preview AARs and the game looked interesting but he said then when it was released that it is much worse than Eu2 because it was too buggy and also the game concept was not thought out well enough.
You also said that the game is too simple .
Eu2 is "simple" but yet very deep, like chess easy to learn and you have only about 10-20 different game mechanics but in Eu2 they interact with each other so well like in chess so the game is easy to learn but extremely deep nontheless.

I was really interested in buying Great Invasions because i like the era in which the game takes place. But the comments from the beta tester and all the bad reviews made me not buy it. Paradox games (at least Hoi2) got 7x to 8x% scores in even some mainstream game review magazines like the german version or gamestar e.g.. But for Great Invasions i have nowhere, neither from ppl i know nor in online magazines nor normal magazines found a recommedation.

So how would you rate Great Invasions compared to Eu2? Or is it too different to be compared with Eu2?
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Boron said:
Quote:
DominionsFAN said:
I got Great Invasions on my main computer. Its a nice game, but its totally different then Doms. Btw the AI was horrible when the game was released, now after many patches its a bit better, but still dumb.
The game is also a bit too simple for me.
Do you also have Eu2 ?

In another forum where i frequently post some kind of Great Invasions beta tester made some preview AARs and the game looked interesting but he said then when it was released that it is much worse than Eu2 because it was too buggy and also the game concept was not thought out well enough.
You also said that the game is too simple .
Eu2 is "simple" but yet very deep, like chess easy to learn and you have only about 10-20 different game mechanics but in Eu2 they interact with each other so well like in chess so the game is easy to learn but extremely deep nontheless.

I was really interested in buying Great Invasions because i like the era in which the game takes place. But the comments from the beta tester and all the bad reviews made me not buy it. Paradox games (at least Hoi2) got 7x to 8x% scores in even some mainstream game review magazines like the german version or gamestar e.g.. But for Great Invasions i have nowhere, neither from ppl i know nor in online magazines nor normal magazines found a recommedation.

So how would you rate Great Invasions compared to Eu2? Or is it too different to be compared with Eu2?
Yeah I know EU2 of course...hmm.....well EU2 was much more polished, and the AI is much better there also. Both of the games are simple, so they score 50-50 there. GI had tons of bugs, now its playable with the latest patch...but the thing is that the game is just not good enough, it couldnt force me to play with it too much.

Overall I would give EU2 75%, and 50% to GI, if I would have to rate them.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I liked EU2 and thought it was very interesting as a historical teaching aid. But for me, I was abit irritated that it held so strongly to the history (I wanted the pagans to win).

I might take a look at Great Invasions and see if I find it more enjoyable.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:32 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

What would make one hell of a good game is an planet based 4x game that incorperated all of the best of DOminions with those of SE. Man that would make for one great game.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Ive said that also. I love the modding of SE and I love the rock-paper-scissors balance of Dom
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Sorry for going off topic, but what the hell! Atrocities got 13119 posts?!?!?!?!

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is one of the repected elders of the Space Empires forum. I and a few other people made strong efforts to drag some of them over to our side.
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:28 AM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
What would make one hell of a good game is an planet based 4x game that incorperated all of the best of DOminions with those of SE. Man that would make for one great game.
Yeah. The one I've thought of is a Emperor of the Faded Suns version. You work to be declared the regent of the cosmic egg, Future Incarnation of All, and then usurp the Godhead.

Some pretenders can brave the horrors of astral space in void ships, some can build gates, or even travel instantanously by will. (500 points there...) Some worlds are spheres (use a flat dodecahedron if nothing else), some are flat, some need to have the turtle propitiated. Elemental strength might vary and termperature certainly would.

The hells fight their wars around the edges of the cosmos and horrors are believed to have devoured worlds -- but with no survivors, who knows? Maybe it was just devils...

Is there anyone who doesn't think that would be cool? When Illwinter grows to have millions to spend on a title then I'll hope to see it.