National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German OOB 16: minor corrections

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastava128 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke66 View Post
Mh was that maybe done because there are just very few small units that would than fit on the tanks?
Normally the infantry would simply have been spread of more tanks but in the game a complete unit has to fit on it or it won't be transported.
This is almost certainly the case. There was a similar question asked a while ago about a jeep being able to transport 6 men (+ 2 crew!). The reason given was that it would otherwise not be able to carry the battalion HQ, and the game code doesn't let you spread the HQ over two jeeps.

So yes, it's probably not an error.
It is a generic standard. The standard section size of 13 is used as medium or heavy tank carry capacity for precisely that reason. Light tanks are different (e.g. Sherman : 13, Honey : 6). In MBT - tanks fitted with ERA have carry 0.

But there are of course exceptions - see the Italian and Japanese OOBs for example or the T-26 and BTs in USSR. Therefore not a hard and fast rule, more the OOB designers choice.

There is a case therefore for those models being down-rated to CC:6, as in the originating Czechoslovakian OOB.

Andy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

As a side note to Polish OOB, I think, that unit 859 Schlepper C7(p) is redundant - there are known some photos with German markings, but its use was rather insignificant, and probably limited to auxiliary duties in occupied countries. I haven't heard about any artillery units re-equipped with C7P, and the Germans had a lot of standard halftracks. More popular were captured Soviet tractors, like Stalinez-65 (German designation), apparently used also by some artillery units (although I don't suggest to add one). If it's not removed, it should have radio 3. If we'd like to keep artillery tractor in this place, a German sWS could be added.

BTW: why 648 SdKfz 11 has radio 3? It was a standard tractor for light artillery, although less popular, than SdKfz 7.
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

LOTS of things in some of these OOB's could be classed as "redundant" ( maybe even "nitpicky" like the difference in the game between a C7 and a Stalinez ) but it wasn't " redundant" to whoever suggested it 7+ years ago and I see no particular reason to remove it but I will change it's carry designation to 110 from 210 and give it a better photo but I will also look into the sWS but that pretty much is" redundant" based on what we already have as well

648 was a typing error

Last edited by DRG; November 12th, 2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM

Captain

I suspect, that someone connected with the Polish stuff decided, that it's worth to make more people acquainted with C7P, catching an advantage, that 1 or 2 photos are known with the German markings and there appeared nice plastic model with a German name http://www.rctrax.pl/product/mirage-...-1-75/?id=8871

I'm not suggesting, that it should be removed or replaced with Stalinets (which was used in much greater numbers, and there are known photos of it hauling German guns) - I just wanted to indicate a possible free slot in a crowded OOB.

Michal
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

When was mentioned about free space in German OOB just tough that will be nice to have there

Sd.Kfz. 6/3 (7,62cm FK(r) auf 5t Zgkw)

often called Diana but looks like that is false marking

was used only in desert campaign and only 9 units was build first arrive to units in January 1942 and last was lost in November 1942
Vehicle has light armour 5mm around but nothing on roof. Gun was FK36(r) in standard version without any special AT capabilities with 100 piece of ammo.

Organisation of unit with some photos
http://www.oocities.org/firefly1002000/605.html
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejos View Post
When was mentioned about free space in German OOB just tough that will be nice to have there

Sd.Kfz. 6/3 (7,62cm FK(r) auf 5t Zgkw)

often called Diana but looks like that is false marking
Oh yes, I've found it missing as well. Jentz calls it SdKfz.6/3 and claims, that Diana was to be a name of an improved SP-gun. Some data: http://www.achtungpanzer.com/762cm-f...gen-sdkfz6.htm
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Corporal

BigDuke66 is on a distinguished road

Well 9 vehicles, I guess somewhere a cut has to be made what comes in and what not.
But OK if we vehicle that doesn't seem to have been in action can be removed, a vehicle that did see action could be added.
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

With the severe lack of free unit slots in the German OOB, that 9 vehicle batch is rather unlikely to appear.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The SdKfz.6/3 will go in, the Stalinez is now in ( with a revised Icon ) and the C7 stays in. If we finally run out of space that's the way it goes. There is little point in hording unitslots as there is little left to add to that OOB that doesn't fall into the same category as the SdKfz.6/3 and once the OOB's full the question isn't " should this be added" but what should be removed to make room for the next unit someone thinks needs to be included.

Don

Last edited by DRG; November 14th, 2013 at 03:45 PM..
Old November 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Corporal

BigDuke66 is on a distinguished road

I see 14 free slots in the OOB16, could they all be used or are some reserved for a special purpose?