.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

View Poll Results: How many bugs have you found in this game?
None 4 80.00%
A few 0 0%
A shipload 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Private

comefromaway is on a distinguished road
Default Spelling mistakes in this game!!! How lame!!!

I just looked at a couple of screen shots of this game at macgamestore.com, thinking "Cool! An Age of Sail game!" I'm a huge fan of anything nautical from that era, and began downloading the demo.
On the 2nd screenshot I found 3 (THREE!!!!) spelling mistakes. I find it absolutely incomprehensible that a game can get to market without anyone doing something as logical and basic as looking for spelling errors. Doesn't anyone there know how to spell?

I've attached the screenshot. The errors are "moral", which should be MORALE; "starbored" which should be STARBOARD. That's the most egregious error, a game that's about ships and sailing can't even get a nautical term correctly; and lastly "handeling" which should be HANDLING.

Oh my God, I just noticed there's even a spelling error on this forums page. The word is GREMLINS you morons, not "Graemlins". How can anyone take your company seriously?

There's a "Check Spelling" button on your page for New Posts; maybe you ought to have a version of that on the desktop of your game developers. Or a dictionary at least. I'll buy you one if you like.

I immeadiately cancelled the download, as I think anything that show such crappy attention to detail must also be as buggy as hell. Have people who've shelled out the money for this game finding that to be the case?

It's too bad, because it looked to be a cool game. Maybe when the developers for this company learn how to do their job properly and pay attention to detail I'll give you the money that was I going to spend on your game. Till then I'll stick to products from EA Games and the like. Too bad guys, you blew it before I even launched Salvo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 387528-salvo_003_large.jpg (121.4 KB, 875 views)
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Mindi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spelling mistakes in this game!!! How lame!!!

Quote:
comefromaway said:
I just looked at a couple of screen shots of this game at macgamestore.com, thinking "Cool! An Age of Sail game!" I'm a huge fan of anything nautical from that era, and began downloading the demo.
On the 2nd screenshot I found 3 (THREE!!!!) spelling mistakes. I find it absolutely incomprehensible that a game can get to market without anyone doing something as logical and basic as looking for spelling errors. Doesn't anyone there know how to spell?

I've attached the screenshot. The errors are "moral", which should be MORALE; "starbored" which should be STARBOARD. That's the most egregious error, a game that's about ships and sailing can't even get a nautical term correctly; and lastly "handeling" which should be HANDLING.

Oh my God, I just noticed there's even a spelling error on this forums page. The word is GREMLINS you morons, not "Graemlins". How can anyone take your company seriously?

There's a "Check Spelling" button on your page for New Posts; maybe you ought to have a version of that on the desktop of your game developers. Or a dictionary at least. I'll buy you one if you like.

I immeadiately cancelled the download, as I think anything that show such crappy attention to detail must also be as buggy as hell. Have people who've shelled out the money for this game finding that to be the case?

It's too bad, because it looked to be a cool game. Maybe when the developers for this company learn how to do their job properly and pay attention to detail I'll give you the money that was I going to spend on your game. Till then I'll stick to products from EA Games and the like. Too bad guys, you blew it before I even launched Salvo.
Yes, it's a shame that sometimes spelling errors get through, which you would obviously never do, right? I'm sorry you let a couple misspellings keep you from enjoying the game; however, please let this serve as your first warning that we do not allow personal insults on this board, so please don't do it again. Oh, and by the way, Graemlins is an accepted version of the word and is widely used on the internet ( yahoo returned 1.23 million search results for the word Graemlins , Google about twice that much ). I don't where this particular spelling of the word came from, but in any event the software we use (UBBthreads) uses the graemlins spelling.

For those looking for with this forum, please see Annette as I am retired.
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Private

Aubrey is on a distinguished road

I too noticed the mistakes, however if you are a fan of the era then you should not give up on the game. There are few games covering this period. If you look at the Maddox flight sims you will find many spelling errors and these sims are by far the best on the market. They also have a much larger staff than Andrew (who I believe is the only programmer.)
I would recommend that you wait til the patch comes out before trying the game as it does have some other problems/limitations which are being fixed & may discourage you further at the moment.
Trying to click the ships path arrows can be a little frustrating right now & there is no editor yet etc. I'm sure once the patch comes out this will be an excellent game & as it stands right now it is quite entertaining.
I'm sure the spelling errors will be fixed as well.

Andrew:
Any chance of having rowed gunboats in the game?
And having carronades added (I know I asked before)

Sorry couldn't resist the chance to beg.

Thanks

Mark
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road

Comefromaway:

FWIW the screen capture in question was from a early development stage, and I have heard a LOT about those two little errors which were quickly corrected. The screen shot slipped through…. The errors have already been fixed, but I fear that they have driven at least one customer away. Even if you did not try Salvo, you have been a help in making the game a better product, at least in it’s newest iteration. Thanks again: – with significant paranoia about my spelling in this note. <sheesh>

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

Mark:

Thanks for pitching in, but I am afraid that I can not satisfy your request for rowed gunboats and direct representation of carronades. However, I think the current patch development/beta process is going to turn into a ‘brainstorm’ for Salvo II as the patch goes gold. Your participation in both would be greatly appreciated, although I think both issues, as well as direct representation of ships boats and more shot type distinction, are already a given for the next version of Salvo. I also have big – BIG- plans for some good spelling.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Default Salt In The Wound

Andrew:

OK, now the two spelling errors on the ship info panel are fixed for good. <Sigh> Obviously there may be more, and if any one knows of any – please let me know. There is not a lot I can do for the printed user guide, (driving to your house with whiteout and a pen?) but any spelling errors in the game can be fixed with the forthcoming update.

Old November 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Aside from the obvious comments that:

* Ok, those are sloppy.
* If I had to choose between having Lonon's spelling errors or comefromaway's manners, patience (cancelled the demo download?) and attitude, I know which one I'd choose.

It also occurs to me that although the spelling errors are embarrassing (though not necessarily a sign that the game itself is full of problems), it seems an odd thing to be irate about in a game about a period where there was no standardized spelling.

PvK
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Hi comefromaway,
Get back there please !
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Private

comefromaway is on a distinguished road

Please take note:

Inside mac games gives this game the drubbing it deserves:
http://insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=626

I stand by my earlier comments (though I'll retract "morons" as a bit harsh) and am vindicated.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
comefromaway said:
Please take note:

Inside mac games gives this game the drubbing it deserves:
http://insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=626

I stand by my earlier comments (though I'll retract "morons" as a bit harsh) and am vindicated.
At least it bashes the game with real arguments (and not for a couple typos) *and* the guy played the game...

I don't share his views, as I didn't experience his "technical" problems with icons and cursors- and found the interface manageable, if not top-notch.
Yet I agree with him on the lack of sandbox mode/editor, but it will come in the patch, so let's be patient !