The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old June 6th, 2009, 01:35 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stargate SGC Conflicts In Space Star Fury Mod is now available for download

I see that you finished my mod. Yea, like I explained in the Mod intro and on the forums that my mod does not follow the Stargate TV/Movie Universe 100%. If you want that then watch the TV/Movies. I tried to make it a little different.

TBH I corrected a lot of my orginal typos and what not but I just didn't have the energy to find 100% of the errors. A lot of the sentence structure was broken to give the feeling of a dialogue. I wasn't trying to write a college essay...been there done that. Also, English is my primary language. Your previous post says "needs to be edited by someone who speak English". It should read "by someone who speaks English." See how easy it is to make a mistake. Now try writing a whole mod and see how you come out.

I haven't spent much time with the mod lately. I have been busy building a new pc and dubbing my vhs tapes of my kids to DVD's. I probably will release a version 2 sometime. If you want to correct the Mod text to help out then that would help. Thanks for playing.
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Corporal

Campeador is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stargate SGC Conflicts In Space Star Fury Mod is now available for download

Final comments:
For those warmongers who finish the original game and still could not get enough this Mod will definitely fill your cravings!

For those who do not know much about Stargate it does not make any difference. No one knew about Star Fury either the first time around. I never realized how really big the Stargate universe is. Plenty of races and ships to make a really big mod… oh, Rstaats realized that!

This mod has more missions than the combined three campaigns of the original game, and the quadrant map even has more systems also. While the story is simple and straightforward, the Mod really shines on the variety of enemy ships, huge battles, magnificent looking space stations and over 10 races each with its own fleets.

All races poses unique enemy ships and weapons keeping the battles interesting... like the enemy ship that snapped the power from my engines and left me unable to move for a while, or the one who’s weapons passed through my shields’ and armor... The player will also get upgrades as the game progress.

There is a good deal of huge ships (usually at the hands of the enemy, and in great quantity) that poses a lot of shields and armor that can take and give a great amount of pain, making really long battles (a lot of them took me over two hours!) At least the player will not be alone since there are usually allied forces to assist.

Most Starbases are very impressive but the one that I liked the most was the "Atlantis Starbase" - The most beautiful Starbase on Star Fury (and Mods) so far, period! The ships were also very varied and impressive but the one I liked the most was the "Replicator Warship" - Beautiful, like an ocean “Jellyfish” (it hit hard also!) Still at the end of the game, firing missiles does not get old - a most impressive weapon effect and sound!

There are a great number of missions were enemy planets are to be destroyed, and unlike the original game, they can be destroyed. Those are almost impossible to destroy by yourself unless the allies help you or proper management of your fighters, in other words reserve the fighters to help you take down the planets. Some enemy ships are also as difficult!

Through the story you have to clear whole enemy sectors like five or six sectors at a time - that is five or six big battles that at my speed took me five or six days to complete since I play like two or three hours per day at the time. I think that there are over 75 missions (some battles use three or four combined missions) were good deals of them are battles as such, so it will take a while.

Sometimes it became repetitive to fight the same enemy sector after sector on a battle that looks like the previous one (at least it gives you a chance to improve on your tactics), and it was also a tad tedious to return to home base (especially if it was far away) and then back to continue clearing the next sector but I understand that you may need that chance to get supplies and to restock on fighters. Still it was not a big deal, just speed up the game for fast travel.

At normal speed it was too fast for me. I would have preferred to slow down all the ships on the game. On most of the battles I had to play them at ¼ speed. I understand that ships do move fast but on Star Fury if they move too fast they do not turn with a natural grace of a ship that poses a lot of mass. Try playing the game at a slow speed and at normal and you will see what I am talking about.

The Mod was bug free, and I played the game as provided without any modification and I finish it without cheating. Some possible bumps are what I commented on my first post about your allies not coming to help you take out a ship or space station, but you can always force the enemy ships to chase you were your allies are, and in the case of planets and space stations just make sure that you have your full compliment of fighters to help you. Sometimes I took an "illegal item" like an enemy weapon and forced my own allies to chase me instead to the enemy and tossed the item when close enough to the enemy so that my allies could engage.

Rstaats, for a first Star Fury mod you have done an amazing job. Your great variety of magnificent ships and space stations and utilization of music and sounds effects were excellent. I enjoyed your mod, I even learned a few things, and thanks to the great amount of time I dedicated to play your Mod, my own mod (Multiverse 5) is sorely behind schedule
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Campeador!

I've been working on a ver 2 for my Stargate Mod. Most of the ideas/suggestions that you, Baron Munchasen and others have brought to my attention as well as other improvements I have found will be addressed. I've started about 1 month ago so I may be done sometime soon.