.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default SP Clone Discussion

Continued from thread as hijacked

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42209
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SP Clone Discussion

Firstly as regards paying $60 I think you are in the minority.
If it was good enough I would have no problems computer games are probably along with music the best bang for your buck entertainment. After 60 hours of play its cost you a dollar an hour after 600 hours your in chump change teritory.
Having said that 60 bucks is enough to piss you off when you realise its a pile of pooh.

$40 for this game which I already had free seemed excessive & frankly I would not have bought it if did not feel I owed them the money due to the amount of time wasted playing it. On reflection the improved graphics alone were worth the money.

Quote:
I don't think that making people pay for additional countries is the way to go
The time involved it wont be a frebbie if done by a developer else it would have been included in the game.
Most likely a module at say $20 for 2 more countries some scenerios & maps.
If it was a main line game it would also add a couple of new features probably say better damage modeling things like TI FC can get knocked out.
What you are proposing is great for the end user but real world everything is driven by the $ they wan't the max profit possible.

On people privatly doing a clone I am guessing thatspretty much what Andy & Don did with the help of the original code rather than coding from scratch & using something like the Unreal engine for the graphics. Take what they have done with the game & look at the time scale to understand the enormity of the project.
An example I would say the map generator is there baby with little in common to the basic original.
Select your 2 opponents & it does a fairly good job of giving you representative terrain for them to fight on, certainly far superior to the original.
This did not happen one friday night over a few beers
First decide what you need
Get it to work
Now go back & set routines for all combatants to draw there maps based on the above.
Just the last point is a huge task.

I set out in good faith to do a rarity listing for all vehicles in the game. Big project I thought as vary over time. Big its vast not till you do an OOB dump do you realise just what is involved. Abandoned I will not live long enough to complete it.

this probably explains why we have no replacement trying to do one on the scale of SP is a big project just on research alone. Then people want 3D graphics which will add nothing & the cost will spiral, you are talking 1000s of models.

To give an example while the models need not be as detailed you will have a lot more & this game does some research.
Grand Tourismo4 is rumored to have cost over $50mill to make. You have to shift a lot of copies to pay for those nice graphics

And there in probably lies the problem, what people want from there games now is just not possible financialy on the scale that SP does things. Most unit level wargames you are lucky if they contain more than a couple of combatants over a period of a few years. 50 odd over the same time period dream on.