The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 26th, 2018, 07:52 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Bradleys with heat-seeking Stinger missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
The game needs an AAA class to use missiles properly (EW and AA fire control).

SPAA units do different things in AI hands versus APC classes. So adding troop capacity to an SPAA element may work for human controlled units, it will not fly if the AI has those units. AA in the AI's hands will probably not load any troops, and will tend to hang around the rear area.
Great stuff. Yeah, whenever I edit a unit it is for human control. But, let me follow-up here, increasing EW value of say an M2 Bradley give that unit the same EW chatacteristics as say the M6 Linebacker?
Of course not, as I stated earlier AAA units Use EW for different purposed than other unit classes.

EW if used on the AAA classes is used as EW against taget EW when firing AA guns and missiles.

Non AAA classes use the EW rating field as a general purpose field - it can be used for VIRSS and CIWS anti-ATGM defence, or artillery GPS - plus a few others probably.

You cannot simply add EW to a non AAA unit. That is why the OOB designers who have added say stingers to SAS teams, are not doing it right. The SAM wil still fire as a SAM - but there is no way to give it the EW value, so its not that effective. Same will be for the popong-ko or whatever North Korean tanks with Strelas.

So feel free to add a stinger to a random bradley APC, but with 0 EW value, it will be very unlikely to be able to hit modern planes and helos. If you add some EW then you will be probably giving it an anti-missile system, or just confusing the game if the values do not tie in with the special codes used for CIWS. You will also probably have some side effects on the cost calculator as well..
Okay, I just got schooled. More great stuff. Thanks.

Old July 27th, 2018, 01:26 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bradleys with heat-seeking Stinger missiles

North Korea is the only country that tacks sams Sams onto APC’s, my guess is because most countries figure a better than nothing approach is not really better than nothing. Be just as efficient to carry a MANPAD or 2 and dismount to fire if the vehicle has no sensors geared to AAA.
My guess is due to drones they now feel the need for close AAA again so the linebacker will make a comeback.
US had drones as far back as Vietnam now everybody has them.
Bet the Navy guys are more worried a swarm of 20 or so cheap boats loaded with explosives is going to be a hard thing to stop.
Old July 27th, 2018, 07:44 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
North Korea is the only country that tacks sams Sams onto APC’s, my guess is because most countries figure a better than nothing approach is not really better than nothing.

My guess is becasue they look good in a parade........

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 20th, 2018, 04:12 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Bradleys with heat-seeking Stinger missiles

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great stuff. Yeah, whenever I edit a unit it is for human control. But, let me follow-up here, increasing EW value of say an M2 Bradley give that unit the same EW chatacteristics as say the M6 Linebacker?
Of course not, as I stated earlier AAA units Use EW for different purposed than other unit classes.

EW if used on the AAA classes is used as EW against taget EW when firing AA guns and missiles.

Non AAA classes use the EW rating field as a general purpose field - it can be used for VIRSS and CIWS anti-ATGM defence, or artillery GPS - plus a few others probably.

You cannot simply add EW to a non AAA unit. That is why the OOB designers who have added say stingers to SAS teams, are not doing it right. The SAM wil still fire as a SAM - but there is no way to give it the EW value, so its not that effective. Same will be for the popong-ko or whatever North Korean tanks with Strelas.

So feel free to add a stinger to a random bradley APC, but with 0 EW value, it will be very unlikely to be able to hit modern planes and helos. If you add some EW then you will be probably giving it an anti-missile system, or just confusing the game if the values do not tie in with the special codes used for CIWS. You will also probably have some side effects on the cost calculator as well..
Okay, I just got schooled. More great stuff. Thanks.
Then I will continue to modify the M6 Linebacker as a Bradley in my test case scenarios as the Army seems hell bent on deploying stingers to Bradley rather than bringing back the Linebacker.

Old September 20th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

For my part I wish they'd bring back the LAV-AD *sighs*.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein