Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > KE Studios > War Plan Pacific
Notices

Old January 17th, 2009, 01:20 AM

Private

Loops is on a distinguished road
Question Rules Question - Stranded Captial Ships

What happens to capital ships that are unable to reach any major naval base? Can they patrol/raid normally from wherever they ended up, or are they stuck in port?

My last game as IJN I cut off part of the allied fleet in Brisbane by taking a sea lanes base. The next turn I raided and destroyed the Brisbane base, leaving that allied fleet with no reachable major naval base. (Ceylon was still rebuilding from an earlier raid.) I was just wondering if the capital ships in that fleet were still capable of action.

Great job on the game - I bought the download version earlier this week and have been having a blast with it.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:41 AM

Private

GeneralChaos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rules Question - Stranded Captial Ships

I BELIEVE the computer at the end of the turn will just send them to the nearest friendly base(no matter what size base & however far away) and that they will be able to carry out full operations for the next turn.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Private

AlanBernardo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChaos View Post
I BELIEVE the computer at the end of the turn will just send them to the nearest friendly base(no matter what size base & however far away) and that they will be able to carry out full operations for the next turn.
The manual is unclear about this.

Logically, however, one would think that the larger ships cannot be repaired at bases that cannot handle that capacity. If there are no larger bases available for the larger ships, then it's probable that those larger ships would go into the reinforcement pool and become avaliable once bases become available that can handle these bigger ships.

Also-- and the manual is clear about this-- repairs will begin first on the most important ships. To say that damaged ships will repair and become fully operational next turn is incorrect.

Alan
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Sergeant

JMHawkins is on a distinguished road

Large ships will go to a major base at the end of the turn if they can reach it (see note below). But if they've been damaged badly enough, they may be foreced to a smaller base nearby the battle. In that case, they may remain in port at the minor base (in fact, may be required to if they are really in bad shape) to conduct repairs. Minor bases can repair large ships under these circumstances, but it will be a slow process, so as soon as the ship is patched up enough to reach a larger base, you'll want to move it.

For ship size rules, the four "home" ports (Brisbane, Ceylon, West Coast and Home Islands) are always considered Major ports, regardless of their damage level. TFs sailing from one of these ports will still suffer combat efficiency penalties if the port is badly damaged however.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Private

AlanBernardo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHawkins View Post
Large ships will go to a major base at the end of the turn if they can reach it (see note below). But if they've been damaged badly enough, they may be foreced to a smaller base nearby the battle. In that case, they may remain in port at the minor base (in fact, may be required to if they are really in bad shape) to conduct repairs. Minor bases can repair large ships under these circumstances, but it will be a slow process, so as soon as the ship is patched up enough to reach a larger base, you'll want to move it.

For ship size rules, the four "home" ports (Brisbane, Ceylon, West Coast and Home Islands) are always considered Major ports, regardless of their damage level. TFs sailing from one of these ports will still suffer combat efficiency penalties if the port is badly damaged however.

Cool. Maybe I missed this in the manual.

Alan
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Private

Loops is on a distinguished road

Thanks, that makes sense. It would be problematic if all your major bases got raided and then you couldn't operate your carriers anymore.