This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM

Private

Kenny is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where are the gas artillery rounds?

Never to be found in Steel Panthers,I so hope.

To me this is the greatest simulation of small units tactics ever devised for wargaming. It is the standard by which I judge all other wargames.

A strategic game this one surely ain't,and I like SPMBT just the way it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny For This Useful Post:
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Thanks, you just made the last few months massive aggravation worthwhile

Don
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Corporal

RazGator is on a distinguished road

I too spent much of my 18 months in the FRG working in MOPP gear during the mid-eighties. As Mobhack noted, the scale of the game doesn't really warrant the actual attack but if you wanted to simulate combat in an contaminated environment, then you'd just modify the OOBS- although it hardly seems worth the work.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmatov View Post
* 1984-?? Iraq used tabun against Iran
Iraq produced a few thousands of tons of various agents, such as various types of mustard, and used a fair portion of that, mostly against iranian troops. What fun must have been manning an iranian 155mm battery in NBC gear under the local sun is probably better left to imagination...
For that matter I vaguely recall that using chemical weapons against airfields was something considered in soviet and likely still in north korean plans. Sortie rate would have taken a big hit.

Quote:
Another problem with simulation of chemical or biological agents is the lack of hard evidence on the effectiveness. Lots of anecdotal stuff, but very little to no documentation as to the actual wartime use
The effects of various weapons against personnel are going to be mainly anedoctal. Testing the effects of weapons on hardware is done sparingly as it is expensive, but say sticking a few guys in a trench and experiment how many artillery rounds it actually takes to incapacitate the survivors just cannot be done. Hence you have to rely on models backed by whatever data is available.
That being said I would be extremely suprised if the various WW1 combatants did not produce substantial amounts of paperwork on their use.

Quote:
I know the Taliban occasionally mortar NATO bases, but I don't know what the minimum mortar size would be for gas. You would need more than just a few rounds here and there to do any real damage, but one could sure get the infidels attention with just a few sarin induced corpses
A small number of smallish mortar/rockets rounds loaded with some home made quality agent shot at random in the direction of of your run of the mill army base aren't going to accomplish much of note. It is far more likely to get oneself killed while producing the agent and loading it in the shells.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

I think, like a lot of WARPAC theories, the gas and chemicals were expected to be beneficial in the initial shock. They seem to have been very very focused on driving a resolution in a very short amount of time, so it makes sense to hit them with /everything/ you have and try to overwhelm the opposition.

Of course, plans like that don't always work out right as basically any modern military operation can attest to. (maybe the recent scuffle in Georgia is a notable exception?)
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM

Corporal

Wolf_Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
destroyed by treaty agreements
Yugoslavia never officialy had any ABC weapons, but tell that to my frend who is in the army as an ABC soldier, and he had to take Chlorine from old wooden barrels in an army warehose and put it in the new plastic barrels. They also moved containers with VX in them.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM

Corporal

Paderborn is on a distinguished road

I agree with Kenny. Continue with an ongoing evolutionary approach to SPMBT, rather than revolutionary or worse yet, a change in direction. I have followed Steel Panthers from it's early DOS-based days and stayed with it, massively flawed though it was because it was the best out there though Close Combat had its appeal, too. But when Steel Panthers was revamped from the DOS engine, if I'm saying it right, to Windows it finally reached its full potential. This isn't meant to be fawning, but the time and effort invested in Steel Panthers by those responsible is appreciated fully, and I'm certain I'm speaking for the majority of us. Thank's guys! Another thumbs up!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paderborn For This Useful Post: