.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you fight Death Underwater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
It might just be worth it to put a couple of aboleths or giboleths at the front line, as many as you need to turn away a couple of undead units.
Sorry, could you/someone clarify, why will they on front line turn away undead?
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Use D random mages to cast wither bones.

A well, commune some mages together to have a few of the D random ones cast wither bones, or just use the astral booster to raise their D3+ level.
Wither bones does indeed sound good, but it's Thaum. #6, I'm #4, and requires D3, when only some of mages are D1. I have an income of like +3 Death gems per turn (due doubtless to Voice of Tiamat over all seas has given me great gems but no Death). I respect what you're saying, but it's too much (IMHO!).

(As for the communion to raise D level, I'm sure you're absolutely right, but after two-years-odd of SP I have still never even tried to set one up... )

I can deal with Death on land with Astrals or Water Cleansing, it's underwater that's irritating. To be honest, I probably don't really understand how to deal against death troops correctly!
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:28 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

What is stopping you from using astral underwater? just mind hunt and Soul Slay all of the commanders and watch the undead vanish.
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:13 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

A group of asp turtles, maybe buffed with BE + luck, should clean up undead pretty fast as well.
Old July 19th, 2012, 12:01 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Use D random mages to cast wither bones.

A well, commune some mages together to have a few of the D random ones cast wither bones, or just use the astral booster to raise their D3+ level.
Wither bones does indeed sound good, but it's Thaum. #6, I'm #4, and requires D3, when only some of mages are D1. I have an income of like +3 Death gems per turn (due doubtless to Voice of Tiamat over all seas has given me great gems but no Death). I respect what you're saying, but it's too much (IMHO!).

(As for the communion to raise D level, I'm sure you're absolutely right, but after two-years-odd of SP I have still never even tried to set one up... )

I can deal with Death on land with Astrals or Water Cleansing, it's underwater that's irritating. To be honest, I probably don't really understand how to deal against death troops correctly!
booohohohooo, I cannot research and set up communions. really... Get wither bones, and set up communions, you only need 4 slaves. And actually, you only need 2, and each master must cast the astral spell that improves all magic levels, or give them a crystal shield (yeah, doesn't work on the EA Rlyeh mages).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:15 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

You've also missed an AoE water spell and an AoE astral spell that are UW castable.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Wendigo_reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
It might just be worth it to put a couple of aboleths or giboleths at the front line, as many as you need to turn away a couple of undead units.
Sorry, could you/someone clarify, why will they on front line turn away undead?
I guess he means that as the undead you are facing are non mindless types, they are vulnerable to ensalve from your Aboleths.

Other options not mentioned yet:
-You get a priest comander at pd 20, unless CBM modded him out.
-Check the indeps in the seas you own, Amber clan triton provinces have recruitable indep priests.
-Counter-raid.
-If you can make it to evo7, Nether Darts is your trademark mass destruction spell.
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
You've also missed an AoE water spell and an AoE astral spell that are UW castable.
Nether Bolt (for those with S + D) & Crushing Pressure ? OK, I can see them on my list, thank you.

I replayed one of the battles, where my troops attacked one turn and then fled. Opposing front liners were undead but not fear. That seems to have happened several times. I think what happened is that my commander fled from the back (after some long-distance fear spells against him, I saw he had a Morale-5 injury, you can't be sure from the battle screen when troops break morale, can you?). Might be obvious to you guys, but I hadn't been thinking that my commander fleeing would just pull troops with him....

When fighting undead hand-to-hand, if they don't show Fear icon then there's nothing special about them (they might tend to be ethereal, which makes it tougher, but there's nothing in meleeing undead in itself), is that right?
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

I was suddenly wondering: does Fear affect friendly units as well as enemy? I had assumed not, but perhaps it does. It's an obvious question, but the manual does not state this, and I have searched the Fear threads here but they don't actually mention this....