Great!

Michal
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Finnish OOB 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
If it's a 4x4 or 6x6 then yes it should be MC 3. If it has drive wheels at only one end it's MC 2 or default
Don
They're all AWD trucks, so 4x4, 6x6 or 8x8 depending on configuration.

All-terrain trucks on FDF site:
Finnish legislation changes demanded that in times of peace the conscripts must have seats even on trucks, so seat capacities are included in the information. SA-150 "MaSi" and SA-240 "RaSi" are not in active use by that list, but are probably stored somewhere still, without seating.

4 "HMTV" class trucks are in use with different specs:

Sisu E11T 6x6: Material and personnel transport, puller: seats 3 + 20, carry capacity 15.7 t (metric tonnes). Produced: ?
Entered service: 1998 (http://www.military-today.com/trucks/sisu_e11t_6x6.htm)

Sisu E11T 8x8: Material transports and pulling: seats 3, carry capacity 19 t. Produced 2000-2006
Entered service: 2001 (http://www.military-today.com/trucks/sisu_e11t_8x8.htm)

Sisu A2045 4x4: Material and personnel transport, puller (esp. 120 mm mortars): seats 3 + 12, carry capacity 6 t. Optional armor. Produced 2006-
Entered service: 2009. Replaces Sisu Proto (A-45). http://www.sisua.net/gallery/v/SA/a2...5+_4_.jpg.html
http://www.suomensotilas.fi/pdf/SISU_english.pdf

Sisu E13TP 8x8 "Kärpänen", "Fly": Armored truck, material transports and pulling: seats 2, carry capacity 10-12.7 t depending on configuration. Produced 2006-
Entered service: 5/2010
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnt View Post
They're all AWD trucks, so 4x4, 6x6 or 8x8 depending on configuration.
I forgot: could 4x4 trucks be classified as Medium trucks and have less space and probably size smaller than 4? Now there's no separation between what FDF designates as heavy truck as compared to the norm. They just have a small radio code difference in the OOB.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Sergeant

Gahh, 30 minute time limit for edits.

The other medium trucks do have issues as well, the 2WD truck could be included as a heavy truck without A/T capabilities.

ZIL 6x6 is missing the A/T capability, I suspect Volvo truck was as well an A/T truck. FDF relied on confiscating civilian trucks in case of conflict, so generic civilian trucks could be added.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If you need to edit, then cut and paste to your email program then edit as necessary then paste into the forums and then you will NEVER exceed the 30 minute limit.

However...... I am NOT going to get drawn into a obsessive "debate" about frigging TRUCKS.........OK ? I cannot overstate how little I care about where to draw the line between "medium" and "heavy" trucks but GENERALLY it is carry capacity . The highest carry capacity's get to be called "Heavy" but what's "heavy" in one OOB might be Medium in another and........( wait for it.......) ....I DON'T CARE because IT'S NOT IMPORTANT.

Little trucks are "light" BIG trucks are "Heavy" and anything in between is "Medium" if that's really required..... those are the guidelines.

OK??

I can assure you Andy feels the same way and I am NOT.. ( repeat ) NOT going to add "generic civilian trucks" but what I MIGHT do if this keeps up is rip out every truck in every OOB beyond one that will be "light" one "Medium" and one "Heavy"

PLEASE...FORGET THE DAMN TRUCKS and concentrate on more "important" things

Don

Last edited by DRG; January 18th, 2012 at 03:19 PM..
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Yep. If I were redesigning the OOBs from scratch then there would be just small, medium and large trucks. Saves on game slots, and saves discussions with rivet counter types over how many cup-holders this or that one has, and would have saved us quite a few icons as well.

Andy
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Yep. If I were redesigning the OOBs from scratch then there would be just small, medium and large trucks. Saves on game slots, and saves discussions with rivet counter types over how many cup-holders this or that one has, and would have saved us quite a few icons as well.
Okay, to sum it up what I wanted to say:
Finnish OOB lacks A/T designation for AWD trucks, which is a big thing as trucks are used to transport the infantry and mortars. It's a biggie because the typical terrain will be filled with forest and there's a lack of roads.

What you call them is not as important, how you categorize them is not as important, if you don't have an armored version of them that's not important.

It's your OOB after all, and just saying "IMO not worth the trouble" is enough for an explanation. Users are able to post and use modified OOBs in PBEM games. Don's response seems harsh to me and makes me feel unwelcome: a simple "It's just trucks, it's minor and not worth trouble changing them apart from the move class." would have sufficed.
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:14 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The trucks that exist in the Finn OOB were given AT wheel capability this morning.

What I don't need or want is MORE trucks that do the same thing as the old trucks but with different names so what I did was save you a lot of time and effort posting info I won't use. The fact they were just 2WD instead of 4WD was useful and I have placed a note in the files to check other nations as well

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 16th, 2012, 07:41 AM

Sergeant

Some more inaccuracies and outdated equipment in Finnish OOB:

ATGMs
Formation 142 Bn ATGM Platoon (used in Coastal Jg Co)
The ATGMs available are AT-4 and AT-5 (local designation PSTOHJ 82, 82M)

They have been phased out of service (They're not listed under current equipment, in the OOB removed from BMP-2s from 1/05 on) but there is no more recent equipment for Inf-ATGM units in the OOB. Availability should end at the point where Spike MR is available (1/03) or at least other options be given. Units from 71 to 74 Inf-ATGM should be duplicated and given TOW-2B or Spike as the main weapon.

TOW-2 (non-B, designation PSTOHJ 83) is not probably in active use any more, but could be kept in if it actually is still stored yet not active. TOW-2B (designation PSTOHJ 83M) still is.

Units 071-074: Availability to end in 12/2002, add new units with TOW-2B and Spike MR