.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets, LA, CBM, open recruitment/discussion

Well what I was getting at was the fact that with only one water start, whoever ends up there just gets to sit and build up without being harrassed, until they just burst onto the scene where everyone else has been beating each other bloody. Its just imbalanced for them not to have any water competition.

On a different note, what about a regular free for all team game, but try to have each team consist of a vet plus a newb. It would be like having a mentor. The small teams would make the diplomacy less unwieldly and open to misunderstandings, while people would still have the benefit of playing at least against some vets.

Go ahead and just ignore me if you want, I'm just throwing off ideas here.
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

I think all n00bs against all v3ts teams would be funnier. But the map must of course be made so that the n00bs don't need to stomp over other n00bs to attack the v3ts, or we're screwed

Last edited by Tifone; January 21st, 2009 at 07:59 PM..
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:05 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifone View Post
I think all n00bs against all v3ts teams would be funnier. But the map must of course be made so that the n00bs don't need to stomp over other n00bs to attack the v3ts, or we're screwed
Thus the need to cooperate, i.e. keeping PD low in provinces bordering friendly team members (should you need to exchange provinces to allow access to the enemy, etc.), allowing each team member access to the sea, the enemy, etc. In the event someone should find themselves landlocked or with access blocked, well there lots different roles and ways to contribute, focusing on developing flying units, stealth, etc.

I'm open to any map suggestions, though I'm leaning toward Cradle with the fixed hand-placed start locations.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:37 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Well what I was getting at was the fact that with only one water start, whoever ends up there just gets to sit and build up without being harrassed, until they just burst onto the scene where everyone else has been beating each other bloody. Its just imbalanced for them not to have any water competition.

On a different note, what about a regular free for all team game, but try to have each team consist of a vet plus a newb. It would be like having a mentor. The small teams would make the diplomacy less unwieldly and open to misunderstandings, while people would still have the benefit of playing at least against some vets.
True, in that case, I'd rather the water nation be a noob, I wouldn't want a vet "bursting onto the scene". I'm open to any other map suggestions though.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:00 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

If there is a water nation it should definitely be 8 on 4, since water nations could be very annoying to try and stop from raiding in that situation.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:50 AM

Captain

Evilhomer is on a distinguished road

Put me in as a standby for the veteran team, not decided yet if I like the game idea.

The problem in balancing this I belive is the early and late game. Early on it does not take much skill for the noob team to just read a few guides and bust out with some bless strategy and ganging upon the few vets playing (and 8 vs 4 this will be painfull to stop for sure).

In the late game I do believe the vets will have an advantage since they know how to build sc/thugs, what spells to get and how to use them to maximum effect.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM

Corporal

Amonchakad is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I'm new to Dominions 3(i have yet to play a single MP game) but i already got some experience agains the AI,and i'd like to join as a noob

Regarding the game,i think the "vet+noob" team would be better (or also vet+2 noobs if there aren't the numbers); we'd be able to learn a lot more.I'm in for any game mode anyway.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:32 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilhomer View Post
Put me in as a standby for the veteran team, not decided yet if I like the game idea.

The problem in balancing this I belive is the early and late game. Early on it does not take much skill for the noob team to just read a few guides and bust out with some bless strategy and ganging upon the few vets playing (and 8 vs 4 this will be painfull to stop for sure).

In the late game I do believe the vets will have an advantage since they know how to build sc/thugs, what spells to get and how to use them to maximum effect.
Part of this will be negated a bit by the map. If we're going with cradle of dominion, it's a very good map defensively that would make it very hard for the noob team to swarm over the vet team, as the terrain is very restrictive. On Orania that would be a bit easier, but orania has about 21 land provinces per player, and I can guarantee you the noob team will expand slower on a per person basis. Basically with an 8:4 ratio I would expect the noobs to hopefully hold their own in the early game, and then get slaughtered in the late game. At 9:3 I would expect the noob team to press the vet team more in the beginning and possibly be able to challenge them throughout the game. No guarantee there, though.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

Can I innocently ask why the choice of LA if I might?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM

Corporal

BigandScary is on a distinguished road

I also find the idea interesting, and since I am closer to a vet than a noob, I guess put me on that list as a possible player