Originally Posted by Tim James
I like the idea of the Long Campaign, but I get stuck at force selection every single time. I have zero interest sifting through five pages of infantry.
Is there a default force selection, or does anyone have a save game handy? I'd like to play one of the major powers on either the Western or Eastern Fronts, maybe mid-war time period.
firstly, set points preferences to a large number, so you wont run out of points in the campaign buy.
If you plan to fight with leg infantry (as most WW2 was fought) then setting map width to 80 is probably a good idea - that gives a map you can walk across in a reasonable time frame.
your HQ is auto-bought
- buy an arty FOO (having him here makes finding him easier on the HQ screens)
- buy an off-map field arty battery
- buy 2 AA platoons (guns or truck mounted)
- buy an armoured car, light tank or scout car platoon, or a truck/APC infantry platoon as your mobile recce and a mobile final reserve in the defence
- buy an AT gun platoon or 2 (with trucks or SP-ATG). Useful in both the attack and especially the defence.
Leave all of those as part of A (support weapons) company. As "loose" platoons, they are automatically assigned to A0's company.
There are usually 3 objective clusters in an SP game so:
- 1 leg rifle company (choose the one you like, if there is choice)
- 1 medium mortar section (if
there is none built into the rifle coy)
- section of MGs ditto
- A scout section or inf-AT section as size 0 "close recce". Change 1 element to a sniper perhaps in a later battle.
Cross-attach these support sections to the relevant company HQ
the 3 rifle company groups, buy:
medium tank company
- Perhaps a truck or APC grunt platoon as their escort, or if Soviet a tank rider desant group (cross attach it to the tank company HQ)
You now have a "standard" combined arms force
for WW2, 3 infantry companies to 1 armoured. Some arty, some recce and some air defence. If you are a tankie, then you may want to reverse
the buy to 3x tank coys team and 1x rifle coy team.
That will take you all of 10-15 minutes.
Or - as requested, here is a pre-baked LC starter, Slot 48 starting in 1943 and set for 30 battles. Soviet Guards Rifles core, battle 1 is a meeter versus Nationalist Spain. Ready for your deployment with supports bought, and the cross attaching of the mech platoon to the T34 coy is all you need to do (if so desired).