.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > LockNLoad: The Forgotten Heroes

Old April 28th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Private

cdwalkley is on a distinguished road
Default Making Maps?

Does anyone out there know any cheap (i.e. free) and easy ways to make hex maps? After LnL comes out, I'd probably like to have a bash at making some maps but don't really know where to start. Any advice?

By the way. I found a site during my searches which had a couple of homemade ASL (Grrrr) maps which are kinda jungly... people might like to have a look at them.

Chris

[ April 28, 2003, 14:08: Message edited by: cdwalkley ]
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Corporal

Bamse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Making Maps?

I found hex paper samples on the web somewhere and then printed them out on my printer, and put them together. If I find where they were I can give you the URLs, or I could mail you some gifs or jpegs.

Also, *this* site has the ASL maps. They would probably need to be expanded to fit the LnL counters, but they'd be usable for doing you're own scenarios (with some minor tweaking). LnL has an elegant rule that allows terrain features to overlap into adjacent hexes tho, which you won't find in the same way on ASL maps.
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Private

You are the man Bamse! I've wasted so many hours at work looking for a site like that!

What is this elegant rule you speak of? I browsed the demo rules (being the kind of guy who keeps gaming stuff on his work computer....) and couldn't spot anything...

Those other URL's you wrote of would be neat.

Ta
Chris
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:54 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwalkley:

What is this elegant rule you speak of? I browsed the demo rules (being the kind of guy who keeps gaming stuff on his work computer....) and couldn't spot anything...
The demo rules are a pretty early incarnation of the game, and much has changed since then.

Put really simply, if a terrain feature extends a bit out of its hex, it's treated as being part of the hex it comes from. This is necessary for treelines etc. to function, and for correctly counting hexes of degrading terrain, but it also allows much more sophisticated LOS issues. I believe the maps are more intricate and wild than what was possible with the ASL system. There's quite a bit of work left to be done to explore the implications of this new way to do maps. I expect there will be discussion of it, after the game comes out. It's pretty exhilerating stuff.

Anyway, the system is easier to demonstrate than to give a definition of. We'll be around after release to make sure everyone understands it.

I'll see if I can rustle up those hex links.

[ April 29, 2003, 10:59: Message edited by: Bamse ]
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Sergeant

Mark H. Walker is on a distinguished road

Hi CD,

Download the demo from the LnL site (www.locknloadgame.com). It includes the final LnL rules. Bamse wrote the "elegant" rule that he refers to (after hours of us shouting at each other via AIM) ;-)

It's is a good masagement of the original rules.

We will put a blank LnL hex map on the site when we get a chance. That should be within the next couple of weeks.

BTW, check out LnL's folder on Consimworld. Lots of action over there.

Best,
Mark
Old April 29th, 2003, 03:51 PM

Private

Fantastic! Just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited about this game!!!

I shall print out the new rules as soon as I get the chance.

And thanks for the pointer to the Consimworld site, Mark, didn't know about that one!

How about putting up blank Scenario Card as well? I'd like to be able to write scenarios and print them in the same format as the ones which will come with the game

I didn't realise you wrote the rule Bamse. Nice.

Am I the only guy posting to this site who doesn't have some kind of insider info??
Old April 29th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwalkley:

I didn't realise you wrote the rule Bamse. Nice.
Thanks
Quote:
Am I the only guy posting to this site who doesn't have some kind of insider info??
There's a lot more traffic over at consimworld, as Mark points out. My name's 'Eivor' there. Hope ta see ya!
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Sergeant

Mark H. Walker is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I was just thinking about the "blamk" scenario card idea the other day. I think that would be a likely download from the site also.

Best,
Mark