Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Map Shalbatana - 212 Province Wrap-Around - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 31st, 2010, 03:40 AM

Corporal

MadFrancis is on a distinguished road
Default Shalbatana - 212 Province Wrap-Around

Here is my first completed (more or less) map.

It has 165 land and 47 sea provinces and is wrap-around. Not exactly the balance I was going for but I wasn't too worried about it on this test-run map.

I have placed impassable terrain and given the provinces a terrain type and neighbors. I have not placed large provinces, many site provinces, etc ... just basic terrains. I was also not worried about balance, this map being more or less a test run for the real project, an 800 or so province version of the same map image complete with unique/scripted provinces, garrisons, etc.

In any case, I wanted to post this smaller test version for people to play with if they wanted. Hope you all enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shalbatana.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	9754  
Attached Files
File Type: rar Shalbatana212.rar (15.22 MB, 379 views)

Last edited by MadFrancis; March 31st, 2010 at 03:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MadFrancis For This Useful Post:
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:01 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shalbatana - 212 Province Wrap-Around

FWIW, 200-some provinces is already at the top end of what most people will even consider playing an MP game on, so you might find your time better spent making maps this size and smaller rather than making a gigantic 800 province map that only a couple people will ever look at, much less use.

Regarding the current map: the pallet seems very brown - i haven't loaded the map file in game yet, but i certainly can't tell from the jpg which provinces are which terrain types.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:17 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

I kind of agree with Squirreloid. 800 prov map is just way too large to ever see use outside of freakish coincidences. However, there is a lack of 100-200 prov wraparound maps (which are ideal for 8-14 player games with ~13 provs per player).

This map seems quite nice, but the excess water makes it problematic. Either you have 3 water player or don't use this map. And with the water nations being what they are, one often has trouble finding players for water nations. I just looked at the jpg, but it seems from that the map might have a problem of terrain clutter. It's not fun to get stuck in the middle of forest cluster with a nation without furest survial for example. (Or get a insta-loss from starting in the middle of a wasteland).
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:38 AM

Corporal

MadFrancis is on a distinguished road

Well, I will probably make a smaller one specifically for MP use after I finish my SP 800 province map for myself. Like I said, I paid no attention whatsoever to balance for the 212 map, just figuring out how GIMP works. I never said it was good for anything specific.

The 800 province map I am building for myself and those who enjoy massive all ages SP player games ... if this is not you, sorry. If only 3 people see it, well I suppose at least one of them will be the only person which it matters to me

Also, for those who don't recognize the terrain, it's a false color satellite image of mars, with oceans placed at the -3ish km mark. There really is no "terrain" drawn to speak of (ie, no forest or mountain icons). Most of the provinces were drawn more or less according to topographical and geographical maps, but without any other real forethought.

The larger version is going to be much more well thought out with a wide range of diverse terrains and interesting encounters, which in the end will be balanced for SP play.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:50 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Oh, didn't notice that this was not designed as a MP map. Sorry about the off-topic response. Well, I probably won't use this map due the stuff I mentioned earlier, but it was nice of you to share. Good luck on your bigger project.

P.S: You finished a 800 prov SP? Whoa. You're a real trooper man.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM

Corporal

Globu is on a distinguished road

Looks good to me! I look forward to seeing the 800-province monster.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:43 AM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road

I really like big maps so I am also looking forward to the 800 province monster you are creating. Just wanted to wish you good luck.