.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

There are new MP games starting all the time. Many of them seems to be for newish players, so it should not be difficult to find. Just look at the MP forum and see if there are any new games advertising for signup.

Or ask in the MP forum. Others might have the same intentions as you. Llamabeast and his server, and Ich aids a lot of people host games. THey can probably start a new MP game if you dont find a game recruiting atm.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

There are two types of games:

Blitz games organized mostly on IRC, and longer games organized mostly on forums. Blitz games take from few to several hours, and while they aren't really newbie-friendly they are a great way to learn fast. You get killed, you play the nation that killed you and try to duplicate the strategy but get countered, etc etc until you find a nation and a strategy that fits you well. There are many good strategies, so you can choose one that fits your preferred playstyle. EDIT: Blitz games also take much fun away from experimenting and from single-player, because you just brutally die unless you use very optimized strategy. It might be a good idea to avoid most specialized builds in newbie MP games, because they can be hard to counter even if you know the game well.

The longer games sometimes try to organize a quick spurt where all players can play about 10 turns or so, but it changes into something like 1 turn every 24 or 48 hours after that's done or if it isn't done. The game usually slows down later, so the server settings are changed mid-game. Participating in many games isn't feasible, at least early on, because the diplomacy and planning take much more time than just playing the turns.
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:25 AM

Private

ghostwes is on a distinguished road

Thank you, guys. When I get back from vacation I will try to sign up for a game.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

I just found out about this game last week, downloaded the demo, checked out the forum to see what the community was like and put my order in on Sunday.. I'm now waiting impatiently for the game to be shipped, am in Australia so am worried it will take ages!

I'm a 29 yr old mechanical engineer, long time civ fanatic and trying to wean myself off to another game

Question(s): how long do games normally take to play (typical size and settings)? Does the micromanagement become very time consuming as the game progresses, and does the wait between turns become long (happens in civ)?
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dragar said:
Question(s): how long do games normally take to play (typical size and settings)? Does the micromanagement become very time consuming as the game progresses, and does the wait between turns become long (happens in civ)?
Theoretically, games can last for hundreds of turns at which point micromanagement starts to take the fun out of the game. Choosing a map with appopriate size, nice number of opponenets and knowing when you have won make the game much more enjoyable. Pay attention to average amount of independent provinces available for each nation (e.g. map with 100 provinces, with 4 AI players against you, leaves everyone with about 20 provinces before wars start out). Victory by victory points with all VPs in capitals and half the capitals required for win is a nice way to end the game while it's still fun.

Multiplayer games can be categorized into two types: blitz games played on small maps, where you meet another player during the first year and where most players are dead by turn 50, with the game ending soon after. They are organized on the IRC channel, and the aim is to finish the game in one sitting.
The other type of MP games is the long-running games where everyone plays about one turn/24h in the beginning, slower once you get out of early game. These can last for much longer, and easily take months full of diplomacy and long-term plans. The slow start might confuse you, but once you have met your neighbour diplomacy, trade and all the possible paths you could aim for catch up with you; it's hard to manage too many games at once.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Private

Piet is on a distinguished road

Just bought the game, in the mail and I'm reading forum. Must be a great game if judging by the community. My fav fantasy game from way back was fantasy general(I particularly remember the music) fantasy wars was also a fun game... I'm sure this will be much tougher to tackle. I'm 53, slowing down, but not downright stupid yet. My hobbies include painting miniatures to relax, ancient war game rules, and fooling with the wonderful 3d landscape program called terragen. I'm a programmer in the government (where you have to work hard to be able to program). Got 4 wonderful kids, a wife that puts up with me and a two month old grand child -- so life is full and hectic. Soon to be overwhelmed, please wish me courage and patience!
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:40 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Here's wishing you courage and patience Piet!
Welcome to the insanity.

Oh, btw, what part of WV are you from? (I used to work in Lewisburg and lived in White Sulphur Springs for a couple of years.)
Map Forge - Map editor
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Private

Piet is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Martinsburg - the Eastern panhandle, hated by MD and VA because we are primitive, and hated by the rest of the state because we pretend to be otherwise.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:58 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Welcome

Make sure your kids start to play as well. Nothing beats a good family war

Actually playing with family/close friends is a very good way to learn the game, since it is easier to discuss strategies and shortcomings afterward or during game.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:38 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

Gah, apparently the game arrived in the mail today.. at work and already have plans for the next 3 nights