Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 4th, 2019, 02:18 AM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Z Fire

Not in woods it doesn't and in orchards etc you can fire a long way. Yeh i know they are usually in straight lines but 9 or 10 hexes at 30 density is a lot and it only works if friring with the lines.

I don't want to edit stuff, just play.
Old June 4th, 2019, 04:41 AM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h View Post
Not in woods it doesn't and in orchards etc you can fire a long way. Yeh i know they are usually in straight lines but 9 or 10 hexes at 30 density is a lot and it only works if friring with the lines.

As far as I know the only way you can do that is from a higher elevation so you would be firing down into the hexes. Looking at two hexes with 30 density each you would not be able to see past the second hex because the cumulative density would then be 60 (any cumulative density greater than 30 and you can't see past to the next hex beyond, that is clearly stated in the manual, I've seen it for myself in the game, and it doesn't matter whether it's woods, orchards, or a gaggle of old Volkswagons piled on top of each other). As for not wanting to edit, if you don't want to use the tools to make a quick edit (in your case from what I gather it's to simply add some more supporting units like mortars, artillery, etc.) then that's on you.
Old June 4th, 2019, 07:01 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Attached is a save game built on flat terrain with both types of trees and orchard.

Show me how, using V12 that you can Z fire " 9 or 10 hexes at 30 density"

Test this and tell me which unit can do that and what the coordinates of the hex they can fire that distance into...again using the latest version of the game

As Felix says the only way you can do what you are claiming can be done "is from a higher elevation"
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinSPWW2 Saved Game 003.zip (37.0 KB, 119 views)

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:26 AM

Corporal

[quote=DRG;845418]
Quote:

As Felix says the only way you can do what you are claiming can be done "is from a higher elevation"
Your correct it can't in yours. So why can I in this? It's in deploy mode taken from an existing campaign that i was playing when the patch came out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SpSv015.zip (188.4 KB, 113 views)
Old June 5th, 2019, 08:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Do you want to tell me which units can do what you claim they can do and which hexes they can Z fire into that they should not because they all seem fine when I run them in my game and I'm really not interested in guessing any longer.

This is SOP testing procedure.. you tell me which firing unit you are referring to and what hex they can fire into that you don't think they should and I try to recreate the same event.

The furthest I can fire with any of those units is B1 that is in hex 38,137 and it can fire into 37,133 but that hex is 15 height units lower than it's firing position

Unit B2 is LOS on some hexes almost to the 4.1 marker but B2 is 40 height units HIGHER than that hex

If anyone else wants to test this as well be my guest

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 5th, 2019, 04:59 PM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The furthest I can fire with any of those units is B1 that is in hex 38,137 and it can fire into 37,133 but that hex is 15 height units lower than it's firing position
Thanks for the close attention to suspected errors in the game. Is this situation symmetrical, i.e. can the unit from a lower position fire at the higher one? If not, how can you justify the asymmetry? If A can see B, should not B see A as well?
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:09 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

What’s your guess and why did you not test it yourself?
If the unit cannot return fire it’s because dust from the incoming fire has now obscured the LOS for both.
Old June 5th, 2019, 07:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Is this situation symmetrical, i.e. can the unit from a lower position fire at the higher one? If not, how can you justify the asymmetry? If A can see B, should not B see A as well?
Assuming both units had been spotted by the other then yes both the higher and the lower units would be able to spot and fire ( regular or Z-Fire ) to each hex they are in ( assuming the range of both units weapons are equal ) but if one unit..could be the high unit or could be low unit, is stationary and the other unit has moved then naturally the stationary unit has the spotting advantage and if I am not mistaken a higher placed unit would have a spotting advantage in the game over one on a lower elevation. Units prone on a hill are harder to spot from a lower elevation than would be units in a valley below the hill when observed from the units on the hill.

As well, unit suppression levels and experience play a role in spotting so that is another variable to consider

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 6th, 2019, 12:08 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

Unit B2 is LOS on some hexes almost to the 4.1 marker but B2 is 40 height units HIGHER than that hex
I sorry for not giving you the unit number, it's B2. The pic shows what I cab see looking east and all the terrain is 50 units ground height, and the density of each of the 'trees' is 30, clear hex is 10. So firing to the last visible tree hex would mean 120 total density with no height difference.

If your not getting what I am then is it possible I've got a corrupt game somehow, but then everthing else works OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (45.7 KB, 114 views)
Old June 6th, 2019, 04:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I think I can explain it but I am busy with RL ATM. Remember that density is blocked >30 and troops can see over obstacles that are 3 high or less and none of those orchard trees are >30 and even though some of them as you progress down what is a slope are >3 the cumulative height is still lower than the height unit B2 is on which means B2 can see beyond them

Last edited by DRG; June 6th, 2019 at 04:25 PM..