The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 28th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A new Game story (From the begining)

2401.9 Interception and Battle
Captain Bradley and the crew of HMS Repulse were on edge as their the enemy frigate's light signal drew closer on the tactical display.

"Sir we're gaining on her, we should get her before she reaches the warp point." Commander Ripley's voice was anxious as she watched the chronometer and counted off the speeds of the two warships.

Meanwhile Haden supply base had been established on the Phong Frontier to establish a forward base for any ships in that region.
Another supply base had been established on the opposite edge of the frontier to keep ships on exploratory missions for a longer period of time.
The Phong Frigate was no faster or slower then it's Icaran counterpart under normal circumstances, but these were not normal circumstances as the Icarans had the advantage of slingshoting themselves around the planet using their forward GFG to repulse them off the atmosphere and then kicking in their after GFG to shove them along at nearly 100 gees, from that point on all they needed to do was coast along on their normal drives to overtake the Phong.
The chase had been going on for the Last two days with the Repulse slowley overtaking the Phong warship and now it was down to a matter of an hour before intercept, the entire crew was at battlestations her missile tubes had been loaded, and her cannons charged, even though with their enemy still 200,000 kilometers off a hit was impossible from either weapon.

The Phong were headed for the warp point and if they made it physics would take over, there would be no way Repulse could catch up to her, and for all Ross knew that enemy warship would head streight for Icaran space, afterall the Norvor system (home system of Icara it's self) was only three jumps away and with her fleet out exploring Icara would be utterly defenseless.

"Captain we are closing, in weapons range in five minutes." Tactical officer Simmons announced as her eyes remained fixed on the light dot that represented the Phong warship.
With a sudden gasp her voice chimed again "Captain! make that two minutes she's turning about to engage us!"

"Thank you Lieutenant my compliments..." Ross smiled to himself as he noticed how startled the young officer was that the enemy Captain would turn about to engage her hunter.

Two minutes passed as the warships closed on one another but finally Repulse was in range and she could do what she had been built for, fighting another warship of a hostile power.

"Guns, launch missiles from tubes one and two." Ross said coldly as the enemy frigate came in range.

Two massive fusion missiles launched from their tubes and began closing on the enemy ship at .4c. Both missiles were equipped with a "compressed control fusion warhead" which generally meant that it was a nuclear bLast focused into a "bottle" that could blow a nice hole in a starship or within an atmosphere it could level entire city blocks while keeping radiation to a minimum.
As the two missiles closed the enemy ship suddenly jerked to her right and fired two tiny cannons in rapid vollies until the first missile exploded, thousands of little slugs sprayed at the second missile but it was already in too close and moving to fast...

"Got a hit captain!" Simmons voice was jubilant as the main display showed a brilliant flash on the hull of the enemy frigate, debris and atmosphere spilled out of the whole but still the enemy came on.

"Sir they are in cannon range......they're firing!" Commander Simmons sounded tense as the monitors showed three fast moving cannon rounds closing in on them.

The Phong frigate was armed with four Depleted Uranium cannons, one of which had been blown apart by their first missile impact.

Three was enough however as the three slugs slammed into the hull of Repulse and the frigate rocked as fire sprayed from the breached hull and debris spilled out into space.

"Sir we've had a hit on decks A and B, we have a hull breach." Commander Ripley switched her personal disply monitor to the damage control camera's in the effected area and almost vomitted in her preasure helmet as she saw bodies smashed against the bulkhead or thrown into space as the atmosphere of the entire section was sucked into the void.
The ones that had been sucked into space still had hope as the crews of Icaran warships were equipped with vac suits just in case of hull breach but those who had been slammed into the bulkheads had been torn apart by the force or had been speared by flying debris.

"Sir cannon two is gone, I'm reading damage and casualty reports from the effected areas." Comns Officer Thompson sounded suprisingly calm for a man of his young years but his eyes flashed rage as he read the casualty reports coming in.

The Repulse maneuvered into position where she could fire her surviving two cannons, as she closed on the Phong, silver flares announced the firing of both her cannons and two resounding bLasts on the Phong's hull showed two direct hits. Hull plating and atmosphere sprayed into space, bodies and wreckage drifted free from the frigate as the enemy ship continued to close.

"She's down to one quarter speed, I am only reading one cannon intact." Simmons voice was almost cheerful as the Icaran frigate moved out of range of the enemy frigate.

"Finish this, fire missile tube one and both cannons." Bradley's voice was pure venom as he gave the order to destroy the ship that had killed an unknown number of his crew.

Seconds later the missile impacted followed swiftly by two Depleted Uranium shells and the Phong frigate began tearing it's self apart from the inside out as explosions rent her hull....flares of energy and wreckage burst forth as the Last intact remnants of the hull blew apart.

The victory was sweet clear but Repulse had paid the price for it, one of her cannons, her comn systems and even her forward grav field generator were destroyed by the enemy shots that impacted her hull. Twenty crewman had died and another ten were wounded in the attack meaning that almost a third of the crew, and that made Bradley feel sick.

HMS Repulse limped her way home, it would take months and she woudl likely run out of all supplies as she made it into the Norvor system but at least she had emmerged victorious.

2402.0-2402.5
The Icaran exploration expeditions continued in ernest as the Royal Navy began searching regions of space for suitable colony sites to expand.

Meanwhile the HMS Repulse had returned home a hero, and was towed into port for repairs and remanning.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old October 28th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

2402.6 Welcome to the fleet.
Commander Sandra Fowler stood in front of the large viewport in the off duty rec area aboard HMSS Wycoff orbital shipyards and looked out upon the two famous Saber class frigates that were in port with awe.
HMS Repulse was still undergoing heavy repairs and the massive hole in her port side stood out like a sore thumb on such the grey hull and Fowler couldn't help but wince when she saw such a beautiful ship scarred so badly.

Her attention drifted a little to the stern of the damaged frigate and her mood brightened a little as she saw HMS Saber herself docked in port, her gleaming grey hull with that unscarred perfection, the shimering pure white prow with the Royal blue trim at the front of the ship made Saber look almost like a dagger to the newly promoted Commander, the sight filled her with confidence as she remembered that she would Command such a vessel some day soon.
She tried to remember what she could about the Frigate's when she had first been assigned to the orbital shipyards and one paragraph stood out in her mind.

(The prow of a warship was not simply decoration, it was where the forward gfg was located and perhaps almost as importantly it was where the ship's two missile tubes were located, hidden under armored plating as she waited in port. Her dagger shape is in fact why the frigate recieved her name.)

A slight click behind her snapped her attention back to the present as the young captain turned around and tensed to attention, reflexivley saluting the man behind her. "Sir!" her voice trembled slightly and she couldn't help but reproach herself.
The older man simply saluted back and smiled politely, he wore the gold tri-star of a Rear Admiral on the cuffs of his space black tunic and the dark blue troUsers wore the red stripe of a "non-combat" officer as apposed to the white of a fleet officer.

"At ease Captain......we need to talk." his voice sounded lighthearted but his eyes considered her seriously as he calmly walked next to her and looked out of the viewport.

"What about Admiral Ralley?" her voice was finally under control but her nerves were not, somehow even though Ralley always came across as fatherly he always made her very nervious, ever since her days at the Academy.

"Well Commander I have good news for you, but you'll need to meet me in my office at 0500 hours if you want to find out. "Ralley smiled at her again and without even giving her a chance to ask him another question he walked of down the corridor.
As Fowler realized what time he had mentioned she groaned to herself quietly, still four hours away by the station's clock....she figured she'd better get a little sleep first and walked casually to her quarters.

Commander Fowler walked into the office of Admiral Ralley rather cautiously, as if she were walking into a room full of tree vipers and stopped up short when she noticed who sat at Ralley's desk with him.
"Captain Ross!...." Fowler said rather sheepishly as she snapped to attention and saluted as smartly as she could manage.
Ralley made her nervious enough because of his rank but now she a bonified hero sitting in front of her, Ross hadn't seen any combat action like Bradley had but he was a hero none the less and Fowler noted he wasn't much older then her.

"At ease Commander" Ralley said with a smile as Ross stood and offered his hand to the young woman, she took it out of reflex and shook it crisply before letting go just as quickly (mainly to hide the fact that when she got nervious her hands trembled a little).

Ross showed her to her seat and looked over to Ralley with what could only be called a grin on his holostar handsom face. "Well Ralley you are right, she is young." his voice was more human then Fowler had expected.
She almost blushed at the remark before remembering what Ralley had told her back in the Academy, something about no officer ever got anywhere blushing like a Feldoni Peakock.

Both her superiors laughed softly a moment before Ralley focused on her, those peircing grey eyes seemingly sizing her up.
"Sandra Captain Ross is going to be transfered from his command in two months to a new ship that the Shiptech boys beleive is the (wave of the future) or some such like that." His smile grew broader and Ross grinned back.
"Well anyway Commander, he was given a list of all available officers that had the seniority or grade to command a ship of their own and we were wondering if you had any sugjestions for his replacement?" Riley's smile disapeared instantly and he looked at her quite seriously.

The youung woman's mind raced as she began considering all the officers she knew of that were of the proper qualifications and grade when Ralley suddenly started smiling again.

"Relax Sandra, he chose you after I told him what a good officer you are, congratulations Commander, though it won't be official till Ross takes command of his new ship." Ralley had always backed the cadets from his class but Sandra was a special case to him, she was almost like a daughter to him because of all the hours he had to spend with her, helping kick her butt into shape so she could graduate the academy, and the swell of pride in his eyes could have made the room light up.

After a few seconds of letting it sink in Sandra too began to smile and thanked her superiors for almost twenty minutes streight before Ross offered to give her a tour of her future command.

Enterprise
The "new command" Ralley had been talking about was a new class of starship that had been designed at the Wycoff's own Shiptech bureau, they called it a destroyer.
The Enterprise class was 50,000 tons more massive and half again the size of a 300m frigate. More then that she packed an extra missile tube, a fourth cannon and a new weapon called a "sprint missile" launcher which was a close in high speed weapon designed to increase the close in killing power against Point Defense weapons.
The first ship of the new class HMS Enterprise would be finished in two months and when she was launched she would be the largest ship in the Icaran navy (for a time anyway) and she would be Captained by a living legend.
With the new threat on the frontier these new warships would be more necessary than ever now.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old October 28th, 2004, 05:44 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Icaran Ship Classes:

Saber Class
Size: Frigate
Crew: 150
Weapons:
2 Missile Tubes
3 Cannons

Enterprise Class
Size: Destroyer
Crew: 320
Weapons:
2 Missile Tubes
4 Cannons
1 Sprint Missile launcher

Next installment coming soon

Old October 28th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

"2402.8 Setting Sail old and new
HMS Enterprise was the biggest nastiest mother in the Royal Navy and as far as Ross was concerned that could go for the whole galaxy. She was as fast as her smaller cousins but she packed a LOT more firepower for her size.
This was just a shakedown cruise Ross reminded himself, they were going to test out her engines by doing a loop around the system and then head out to Brandenburg where they would commence weapons tests on drones and an old freighter that had met an unfortunate end at the hands of an asteroid storm when she was abandoned by her crew.
The freighter was five times the mass of Enterprise so the Admiralty figured even her scorched up gutted old hull would serve as a great weapons test for this new toy of theirs and that was all fine with Ross he just wanted to take her out of port.

But the first ship out of port was his old command HMS Saber under the command of Brevet Captain Sandra Fowler and watching her leave port ahead of him brought a lump to the Captain's throat, she was smaller and less well armed but she had been his ship until this point and now he had to entrust her to Fowler and hope that kid didn't screw up.

"Helm, set course for the Beta Triaron warp point at maximum thrust once we've cleared spacedock." Fowler's voice was the professional cold tone they had taught back at the academy but inside her guts felt like a bunch of butterflies, yeah if they were vomitting she thought to herself as her helmsman acknowledged her order.

HMS Saber moved silently out of dock in orbit of Icara with pride, she was leaving on a simple guard mission to protect the newly established Haden Supply base on the Phong Border but it was something that was deemed necessary by the admiralty.
As Sandra rememberd Rear Admiral Lord Ralley even went so far as to calling the diplomats whom had established an unguaded supply base with a "large civilian population on the frontier with a hostile power a bunch of blustering idiots with no military sense beyond what they saw in the holotheatre!", he was probobly right but the young Commander couldn't help but grin to herself as she remembered a navy man calling a bunch of nobles blustering idiots with no sense.
Her ship would take a few months to arrive at Haden but it would give her time to get to know her crew, including her new Exec 1st Lieutenant Tiara Somal from Brandenburg....all in all it was looking like it was going to be a good cruise.

2403.1 Tragedy
It had been 3 months of cruising at full speed when HMS Saber finally reached her destination, and none too soon she neeted resupply and some of her crew needed to be sent groundside if only for a day or two.
As they warped throuh the node and entered the Escandor system morale was high and Sandra Fowler was looking forward to meeting the base' commander as he had been an old classmate of hers back at the academy.

The warp jump was met with the usual nausea by the crew and the usual grumbling as it wore off and Sandra frowned for a moment as her stomach settled back into it's proper place.

"Helm lay in a course for Handra supply ba....." Her sentince was never finished alarms and klaxon hooted and screamed throughout the ship as the tactical officer sounded the automatic general quarters alert that was required when an enemy starship was detected.

"What the hell is this about?!" Sandra snapped at her Tac officer over the howling klaxons and almost instantly Sandra was kicking herself over the loss of control in her voice.

The tactical officer looked sick as he looked up, his face was sheet white and tears seemed to swell in his eyes as his shaky voice announed "Ma'am Handra base is gone....there's no beacon, no energy traces nothing...they're just gone."

Fowler fealt a wave of gut wrenching fear wash through her as she considered the possibilities but she didn't let any of it show as she simply nodded to the tactical officer.
"Tactical, make sure there isn't a malfunction, it's possible their generators were just knocked out by an accident...run more scans as we close." her voice was controlled this time as the klaxons stopped howling now that her crew was at full battlstations and each secton had punched the "go" button which signalled their readiness.

Saber closed for two days before the cause of th loss of contact became clear, the surface of the planet was nothing but scorched earth for miles upon miles, none of it looked nuclear which told her it would match the attack pattern of a Phong warship....there were even craters miles outside of where the outpost had once been sugjesting that the bastards had shelled all signs of Icaran life on the surface.
That theory was quickly confirmed as battle sensors detected the presence of a Phong frigate at the far side of the planet (which explained why she hadn't been detected until now).

The need for revenge burned in Sandra's blood as she considered the 32 million Icarans that lay dead on the planets surface and now the Phong who killed them would die even if she had to get out of her ship and ram a knife down their yellow throats herself.
"Captain the Phong Frigate is closing at her maximum speed, tactical computers recognize her as a Annihilator class frigate, the same kind encountered by HMS Repulse." Commander Somal's heavy accent sounded venomus and cruel as she said the words.
Sandra swollowed hard as she memories of the split open hull of Repulse burned at the back of her mind....they would not do that to her ship damnit....not if she could help it.
"Guns, get me missile lock as soon as possible, cannon crews one through three stand by, we are going to run right down her throat." Fowler snapped the visor of her vac helm closed and her crew did likewise, they had all seen the pictures of those poor spacers from Repulse who hadn't managed to get their visors down in time or had their vac suits compromised.

Saber fired both missile tubes, 2 fusion missiles streaked across space, their ion trails like two snakes weaving across the stars as they sought their prey.
One of the missiles was quickly destroyed by the enemy ship's point defenses but the second missile easily peirced her defenses and a magnificent explosion erupted from her hull where it struck home, one of her cannons and an engine exploded flames as the initial impact spread but she still came on.

"Ma'am they are closing to cannon range!" The Weapons officer announced as the enemy ship flew past Saber firing their cannons as they went, two shots missed but the third impacted on Sabers' hull doing moderate damage and wounding several crewmen.

"Helm, turn us about I want to fire streight into her backside!" Fowler's lip curled as the damage report came in.
The Icaran frigate swept around behind the Phong frigate and opened up on it with all three of her cannons, two shots slammed streight into her engines blowing them to peices the third shot went higher then the enemy ships engine block and knocked one of her cannon turrets clean off. The gunnery crews fealt a surge of pride at their strikes but the enemy used the one engine she still had left to turn about and return fire.
The first enemy shot passed within inches of the main bridge but the second shot struck home on Saber's prow fortunately it did little damage.
Saber's missile tubes spat out another volley as she took advantage of her full engines and passed by the enemy frigate racking it with a broadside from her cannons.
As the Icaran frigate passed the enemy warship her missiles struck home on the battered hulk that remained and their explosions tore the ship's entire front end off, secondary explosions turned what was left of the frigate into burning wreckage.

"My compliments gunnery crews, you to guns." She smiled at her weapons officer as her voice echoed her pride over the comns. But still she fealt sick as she looked back to Harden and saw the wreckage and craters that had once been so many lives.
Fowler pressed a button on her control panel and a voice responded.
"Chief Engineer Mullins here." a tired sounding voice replied from the other end.

"Damage report chief?" Fowler dreaded the reply, she knew her ship had been hit twice in the battle and Repulse had only been it twice when her port side was torn open in a 20 meter hole.

"We've lost in-system communications and all but wo of our messenger drones were blown apart when the prow launcher was knocked out....other then that all we need is a resupply and a minor overhaul." Engineer Mullins sounded frustrated at the damage that had been sustained but mixed with that he also sounded very releived that the damage had been light.

They wouldn't need in-system comns anyway Sandra thought bitterly as she continued checking with section heads to get the full status of her ship after that action....1 crewman was killed and 8 wounded but it had been far less then she expected.

Two hours later, after personally inspecting her ship she ordered one of her two remaining messenger drones launched out of her port missile tube to inform Icara of what had happened, on it was a scathing reproach to the certain "nobles" who had endorsed Harden's construction before any military escort could be managed along with a report that she would stay on her post until such time as reinforcments could arrive or a courier was sent to inform her to withdraw.

Fowler also had the second drone prepared with a blank message recorder just in case her ship was attacked by a superior force and she was destroyed or forced to withdraw.

Old October 29th, 2004, 07:42 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Wow, great stuff. Your Icarans certainly are uncompromising. It's nice to see someone portray a culture of vicious, expansionist bastards rather than another galaxy full of boringly enlightened Trek/ Manticoran style utopians.
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I have to agree, great stuff. Looking forward to more.
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:16 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The next chapter will come tomorrow most likely as I want to flesh out my ideas of how to write it (It's gonna be a big one trust me).

Heh well if you don't mind me saying so, and if this doesn't make me sound a little freaky. Humans are Humans and Icara is in an era where a single battle squadron could destroy an entire planet and kill you entire nation if you let down your guard so they don't have room to be compromising or "enlightened" so although by my story's viewpoint they are the "good guys" it's more accurate to say they are survivors and if they have to eliminate others they will if it ensures that survival.

I never understood why so many writers assume that a futuristic Humanity would be so peaceful and willin to coexist with others, I mean when you stop and think about it sure we are more likely to become much more merciful and "enlightened" when it comes to "our own kind" that being nations but when humanity spreads to the stars (if ever) do they honestly think every colony will have the same heritage or beleifs as each other? I doubt it.
Most likely something like the HH Universe will happen where Humanity divides into seperate "star nations" and although I doubt the future would be nothing but war all the time I doubt it will only be "evil aliens" that want to wipe us out lol.

The Icaran galaxy in this story is somewhat restricted to game terms (I.E. My "cold war" with a certain faction is entirely roleplay and the AI probobly doesn't realize it is a cold war) but as far as the story its self goes, these are colonies that launched from earth Hundreds of years ago and are now stepping out to find a galaxy that is theirs for the taking and where other human factions and even an alien faction "phong" are intent on the same prize.
And to any nation that has the chance to rule not just it's own planet but an entire galaxy deciding to be oh so goody and peaceful with everyone around them will probobly result in their being annexed by a power that did not feel so "enlightened".

Icara is brutal where brutality is required (unlike the Federation which always managed to show compassion even where brutality would have ended the war much soon) and the Empire needs resources for it's economy to survive so colonies are needed for that.
And let's not forget that a world with Icara's very low infant mortality rate and advanced medicines and life prolonging treatments will have population growth that can't be handled by one planet forever, and so more worlds are also required for land or else you'd have overcrowding and poverty everywhere.

Anyway should I have saved that for the storyline or is it okay that I explained Icara's motives and "justifications" to you out of the story?

Old October 30th, 2004, 07:57 AM

First Lieutenant

Intimidator is on a distinguished road

[quote] I'll explain the look of Icaran ships later for those who havn't seen the pics I displayed on-line. but for now I'm off to read HH
Oh and although I will likely play more then one turn at a time I'm going to take this story slowly enough to make sure it's good [quote]

As I understand you actually play this games which you describes. If so, maybe it is possible for you to put some .gam file on the net every 10 turns or so (or if something important happens)

So we could read the story, and take a look on the empire if we like , and maybe have some questions about stuff you didn't wrote about (yet).

And offcourse we could see the shipsets off all those Humans you found...................

Intimidator
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:57 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

As Promised
Next Installment:

2403.2-2404.0
“Praetor Lysander we no longer have a choice, the Handra supply base must be re-colonized if we do not keep a permanent fleet base in that system we are just asking for those Phong to invade us!.” Admiral Lord Tyson Babcock had a habit-a rather annoying one as far as Lysander was concerned-of keeping his voice low and polite even when he was chewing someone’s *** off, and since day one of the first colony’s launch he had condemned those lords who overruled the Admiralty about sending millions of civilians to the original Haden base.
“Praetor I agree with Tyson on this matter, the original colonization was the biggest blunder our nation has made so far and I think not sending another expedition would be even more foolish.” Alexander Hallice, Lord High Admiral of the entire Icaran Royal Navy was far more stubborn and held a lot more credit then his lesser known colleague within the nobility of Icara and as such his word on any matter could shake even Lysander’s views around.
“Opening that doorway now would lead to a war we can not win, our resources at this time are to unstable and our navy too small to repel any invasion from that particular region of space Your Highness, however I do not believe we should send this colony into the fray unguarded like our lordships did it’s predecessor.” Hallice hid the traces of a grimace of disgust by taking a sip of the hot Icaran coffee that he had all too rarely these days.”
“Isn’t HMS Saber on location Sir?” Babcock raised his right eyebrow as his superior cocked his head in a manner he often did while he thought about important matters.
“Yes but she is low on supplies and munitions, and I doubt a single frigate could neutralize an entire Phong squadron, don’t you?” Just the tone in his voice as he looked over to his Praetor suggested that he knew Saber wouldn’t stand a chance on that post alone no matter what any arrogant lordship thought.
“You realize Admirals that to authorize something that would cost that much money and that many resources I would have to grant the house of lords permission to send a full fledged colony expedition don’t you?” Lysander frowned as he thought of the amount of pain his *** would be in over the next few days trying to convince the lords to at least minimize the number of colonists they sent.
“Well then our lordships would certainly want better defense wouldn’t they your highness?” Hallice said with a distinctive grin as he finished sipping his coffee and placed his cup gracefully on the table. Hallice was almost 80 Terran Years old but thanks to modern medicine he looked like a man a third his age, and his mind certainly held every ounce of wit and tactical knowledge it had over 50 years ago.
“What are you proposing Alexander?” Lysander asked in a deliberate manner as he thought about just how much money this whole operation would cost his Nation, not to mention the time and resources.
“Oh, well Admiral HMS Saber should certainly stay on station, our supply base on Handra-the new name given it by The Admiralty-can certainly fix her up and get her in shape once we’ve established even a basic infrastructure there.” Hallice paused a moment cocking his head in thought as numbers and names plied through his rapier like mind.
HMS Enterprise Can certainly leave within the month, the asteroid damage she sustained pulling that freighter out of the Swift asteroid belt will be repaired by then, and I can guess Ross would like to get out in real space again instead of getting stuck at home with one of only three destroyers in the fleet.
And I beleive HMS Farrogot can be ready a month after that, considering the construction time of a colony ship and it’s slower speeds compared to our new destroyers, I think both destroyers will be on station only a month after initial colonization.” The High Admiral hummed quietly as he thought.
“And I think the next two destroyers built at Icara and Brandenburg could arrive there in about 6 months so we’ll have an entire effective battle group there within a years time.” Alexander grinned again as his Praetor began to nod. Braddock too was nodding. A decent battle group of four destroyers and a frigate would definitely be enough to guard that border, and maybe even go on the offensive, as long as they could keep the lords out of this.
“Good idea Alexander, I do believe I can overrule the Lords on the matter of numbers of ships easily, after all the defense of our Nation is the only concern we should have right now, and if any of those Lords or Ladies turn this down I’ll remind them of the mistakes the collegues made with the first colony.” Lysander nearly spat as he considered those five lords who now hung dead and cryopreserved outside of the Admiralty building (showing just how the navy felt about fools), those five who had gone behind the backs of the house of Lords and given “unofficial” permission for several companies to ready a colony for Haden, those same five lords who then refused to allow a naval presence to escort the colony ship under the excuse of it “making the colony ship a target for hostile forces”. Instead 1 million soldiers and 31 million civilians were blown apart by a single enemy frigate that could have been stopped by Saber!
“Admiral do you believe that Saber can protect that base by herself before those warships arrive?” Lysander’s tone was bitter as nightmare images rushed into his memory, the images taken from Haden by remote drones.
“Highness, I believe Saber can protect her from any one ship, and possibly any two ships we’ve seen those yellow bastards throw at us thus far.” Hallice said with an unusual gusto as he absently fixed one of the stars on his collar.
“Then Admirals, you have a go, just get those two destroyers ready for deployment before I have to talk to the lords, or at least make it look like they are ready.” Lysander said with a wink as he guided his guests to the door.

“Sir, now that we have approval for the deployment of an entire squadron to Handra do you believe we can get the go ahead on an assault into Fornax?” Babcock asked quietly as he and the High Admiral walked along the great corridor of the Capital Building.
‘I think His Highness will give us permission to do anything it takes to defend Handra base, if that happens to include going into Fornax and removing any threatening presence in said system.” The glean in Hallice’ eyes was clear as he looked at his junior officer and smiled, he liked Babcock though he really couldn’t figure out just what about the energetic young man (only 42 E-Years) he liked."Then so be it." He finished with a smile.
“Excellent Sir!, with your permission I’ll get together with Captain’s Ross and Holly later and discuss possible maneuvers they can take to force the Phong into making themselves a “reasonable threat”. Babcock’s own face lit as he considered the possibilities. Though he would have preferred to be in the field himself, commanding a fleet in battle, but unfortunately for him and just about seventy-two percent of all IRN personnel there just weren’t enough ships to crew much less form a full “fleet” worthy of the name….though within a few years that would hopefully all be changed.
“Very good Admiral, I’ll have discuss the new naval budget with the House of Commons and the rest of the Admiralty tomorrow morning.” The smile turned to a sour grimace as the Admiral considered the meeting that lay before him, he hated talking about money and “resource allocation” but now a days that seemed to be more of a hot topic for him then strategy and command.
The two Admirals talked idly as they walked down the long corridors to head to their respective duties.

Five months later the new colony ship set down on Handra base and Captain Sandra Fowler’s ship turned her running lights to a blinking row pattern signaling her salute to the nobleman aboard her.
A month later the destroyer pair of Enterprise and Farrogot arrived to take up station around Handra, both ships signaling salute to their “little sister” as Saber was affectionately called by the two destroyer’s crews.

2404.1-4
“Sir incoming missile at point three, oh five niner!” Tactical officer Remeraz blurted as the main battle screen in Enterprise's bridge showed 3 yellow dots appear at a range of just under five thousand clicks.
“Helm, Evasive maneuver Jager Nine two.” Ross voice was icy as his helmsman began twisting and turning the Icaran destroyer in an attempt to evade the enemy missiles that were closing at two thousand clicks per second.
The third missile had Ross far more worried as it’s glowing light code closed at over one thousand clicks faster then the other two….the light code signaling the missile’s approach was moving far to fast and suddenly Enterprise rocked and shuddered as the impact alarms blared.
“Sir Cannon one is gone, we’ve also lost missile tube two! And starboard engine three.” Commander Pallins sounded shocked but as she read off the damage list she seemed angry that her ship had been caught with it’s pants down by that third missile.
“Thank you Commander, What is the status of Saber?” Ross watched the holotank intently as the frigates own missiles closed on one of the enemy ships.
“Her port cannon battery is down, she’s leaking atmosphere on two decks and a quarter of her crew is dead or wounded sir.” The comn officer of the watch seemed like he was about to wet his pants but then a brief cheer from the weapons commander made him jump clear out of his skin as he whirled around to look a the holotank.
“Got one sir, the second enemy ship is down sir!”
“Thank you mister Saunderson please try not to distract our other officers.” Ross snipped at the young officer and the man just about crapped his vac suit as he turned back to his station sheepishly.
“Sir Saber is gone.” Tactical said as the frigate’s light code winked out .
“Closing on enemy ship, baring three, two seven mark.” That same mechanical voice that had announced Saber’s destruction seemed to chant out the words as Tactical Officer Remeraz watched his displays like they were the only thing in the universe.
“Guns, take her out as we come to bare!”
“Aye skipper, cannon crews standing by, missiles locked…..firing in three…..two….one, birds away, cannons firing!” the missiles slid from their rack with a dull droning sound and the distinctive thumping of heavy cannons was almost musical in Ross’ ears as the enemy light code winked out in the holotank.
The lights on Enterprise’s bridge returned to normal and the damage codes winked off as the other ships of the squadron reactivated their transponders, winking their light codes back into existence on the holotank.
“All hands stand down battle stations, I repeat stand down battle stations. The drill is over.” Pallins said almost cheerfully as she started reading the computer’s assessment of their performance during the battle drill.

The Enterprise Battlegroup had been standing at Hadran station for three months so far and run twenty two battle drills with varying pairings on who played the opfor and who played the defender. The entire squadron had done rather well by her opinion though captain Fowler ended up with a grimace more often then not as her ship had been destroyed twelve of the past twenty drills and only destroyed one of the enemy ships every other time, But even Fowler had to realize that saber had done more then pull her weight in each drill.

“Alright ladies and gentleman let’s return to Hadran base, And good job to all.” Ross smiled at his exec and unzipped the vac suit that he had been wearing for the past six hours. They may save your life but they sure didn’t save your comfort, he thought as he felt “fresh” air blowing against his tunic again.
“Sarah you have the watch.”
“Aye sir have the watch.” Sarah was still cheerful as she unzipped her vac suit and sat in the comfortable captain's chair to take Enterprise into port.
Three months of peace on the Phong frontier had the odd effect of making the crews more nervous then having at least one stand up fight, because the anticipation of a Phong assault coming any day was just not what they were trained to deal with, so battle drills and various surprise inspections were a regular distraction and one of the few ways to keep them busy without burning them out. And quite frankly Sarah Pallins loved battle drills because they made sure her crew would not let Captain Ross down no matter what and if he wasn't let down then the Navy wouldn't be let down.

It was 0200 when the first alerts began howling their warnings in the C3 center of Handra’s military base and within five minutes every civil and military alarm on the planet was triggered. Startled civilians went rushing for the local shelters why the local military personnel on the base rushed to their Posts.
Handra’s military governor, Lord Korey Aznoble entered the command center at a frantic pace the second he heard the first alarm, by time the civil alerts started up he was already standing over the holomap of the Handra system frowning.
‘This makes if fifteen minutes right roger?” Aznoble’s frown grew darker as the senior military officer, Commodore Roger McMan, nodded.
“M’Lord it is a single Phong frigate, and our battle group can easily destroy it, my fear is that it’s a trap of some kind, I’d rather not send the entire squadron to engage her because I don’t want to leave this planet unguarded.” The Commodore’s face grew pale as he remembered what had happened to Haden base.
“What do you suggest Commodore?” Aznoble frowned as he saw the light signature of the enemy frigate closing in on Handra. “Do we let that frigate come here and then have the squadron intercept it in orbit?” He asked as that ominous light signature continued to close in on his planet.
“Sir that would be a very bad idea, if our ships are not in exactly the right position when that ship arrives in orbit we could face massive casualties before they get into an intercept position. I recommend we send one of the destroyers to intercept it. I’d suggest Ross’ as he’s the most experienced combat officer we have on station at the moment.” McMan loathed the fact that he had to report to a man that was not military, especially one who did not understand the physics of space combat.
“Very Well Commodore dispatch Ross, if he fails, at leas we’ll have a fallback.” Aznoble grimaced again before leaving the Commodore’s side and walking over to a secondary command station to observe the deployment himself.

Meanwhile in space the four warships had not been idle, their sensors had the advantage of not being hindered by atmosphere and Ross suspected that his crews had manned battle stations before the planetary commander even knew what was happening.
But when the message did come through Ross clenched his fists,the Commodore ordered his ship to engage an unknown enemy starship alone and worse then that he ordered him to intercept the enemy vessel at 20 light minutes, it would take any of the other warships at least a day to arrive and back him up should anything go wrong and by then they'd likely just find his wreckage.
Ross suspected that Lord Aznoble had something to do with the distance involved in the intercept because when it came down to it the man was a coward and wanted to keep battle as far away from him personally far more then he wanted to keep the battle away from Handra, a proper military officer would have ordered at most a 10 light minute intercept so that reinforcements could arrive in a shorter amount of time but even that would be pushing it for most admirals.
It had been one day at full thrust, with the enemy ship closing on their position the whole time and finally Enterprise was closing in on her target.
“Time to intercept two minutes fifteen seconds sir.” Tactical officer Ramerez chanted in his normal mechanical tone .
“All stations report full battle readiness sir.” Sarah said icily as she watched the status board.
“Thank you Commander….Tactical.” Ross said grimly as he waited anxiously for his ship’s first engagement.

The first volley of missiles streaked from the Destroyer’s prow launchers at just under 10,000 kilometers range, their drives glowed brilliantly like three tiny new stars as they carried their deadly payloads toward another tiny star that was not even visible from the bridge of HMS Enterprise.
The holotank showed a small red line appear from the enemy light dot signifying a long stream of point defense rounds pouring into space desperately clawing at the missiles that were closing in on it. The point defense go lucky once and nailed the sprint missile, unfortunately for the Phong warship the two more powerful missiles were already in too close and the Holotank on the Icaran destroyer showed two clear hits.

“Sir they are closing to cannon range, I don’t think we got their engines sir.” Remerez mechanical tone had a nervous edge to it as he watched the enemy ship close within visual range of the ship's cameras.
The bridge’s main monitor suddenly switched over from a star view to a magnified image of the enemy vessel. As they watched the magnified image the bridge crew saw three small bursts of light come from her port side and immediatly began to brace for the impact that was sure to follow.
The holotank clearly showed three incoming shells to match each of the bursts of light, causing Ross to squint sharply and grit his teeth as he realized that by time those objects appearedo on display the shells would already be far closer.
His ship rocked and loud explosions could be heard from other sections of the ship and the damage board came to life with color all across his ship.
“Sir, cannon crew two is gone, we’ve also lost the sprint missile launcher and two engines.” Remerez announced as the remaining cannon crews returned fire automatically, the ship’s remaining cannons roared in fury and sent a devastating broadside into the already damaged hull of the Phong Frigate, the first shot missed entirely but the second struck home in what must have been the enemy frigate’s control centers because she immediately started to list and spin out of control.
“Good shooting guns!” Ross’ professionally calm tone momentarily broken as he watched the enemy ship spin out of control sending debris and what looked like bodies hurling out into space.
As the bridge crew watched the third round impact the enemy ship’s hull a gasp of universal disbelief and morbid amusement ran through them, the third round impacted at an odd angle into the hole that had been caused by one of the heavy missiles that had impacted earlier and instead of punching another hole the shell bounced at least tree times inside the enemy ship causing multiple internal explosions at various points until the shot finally breached a weakened part of the hull and exploded 10 meters of the enemy ship’s hull.

“My Lord, can you believe that?” Sarah’s voice sounded oddly amused by the display and Ross himself felt a strange urge to laugh at the almost comical occurrence but his training did not let him forget that many of his crew had probably been killed in the broadside that dying bastard had spat into his vessel.
“Status of the enemy…..”Ross’ sentence was cut off as the enemy ship seemed to simply begin collapsing in on herself, the entire middle of the ship seemed to just crumple as if she had been grabbed by some giant hand and squeezed.
“Cancel that tactical.” Ross said as he tabbed a control on his personal command panel.
“Damage Control here.” Chief Engineer John Lee’s voice sounded harsh as he answered his Capatin.
“Status Lee?” was all Ross could croak out as he observed the damage board with a scowl
“Sir, aside from what you’ve already been informed about, we’ve lost our forward gfg and I lost an entire work party when that damned broadside blew a hole in our engine room.” His voice made him sound ten years older then he was as he mentioned the loss of an entire 18 man work crew, his work crew.
Four others had died and ten were wounded in the engagement but HMS Enterprise had survived the first live combat action any Icaran destroyer had taken part in, and she had won.
"All hands stand by, we are returning to port." Captain Ross said as "cheerfully' as he could manage as he took count of the price his ship had paid.

Please tell me what you think .

Old October 31st, 2004, 01:27 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

2404.6-8
The citizens of Icaran worlds finally began to feel safe, their navy had thus far defeated all attempts of the Phong to encroach on Icaran territory. To ensure this peace remained however the Royal Navy set down a “tribute” that any company dispatching a colony ship would have to pay in order to purchase the rights to a world. 28 worlds already fell under the sway of the Icaran Empire and still more would soon follow as the massive “arc ships” launched from Icara, Brandenburg and Sparta.

HMS Claw had been on patrol for nearly six months in the 6-11 system, blockading the warp point to unknown space when suddenly her detector grids began triggering multiple proximity and energy signature alerts.
“Sir unknown frigate baring three nine two point five, she’s jumped through the warp point and if her speed and course remain constant she’ll arrive in colony orbit in three days.” Tactical officer Malokov said hastily as Captain Wykok began tapping keys to bring up his own displays, the ship had an odd silhouette that was for sure but whether it was hostile or not was anybody’s guess.
“Comns, hail them, order them to stand down and identify themselves.”
“Aye sir transmitting now.” The young comn officer said stiffly as the unknown frigate continued heading out at full speed.
“Sir, I think it’s a human ship sir.” Chief weapons officer, Ensign Galler’ she began tabbing controls to send her data straight to the captain’s command repeater as she continued speaking. “Those are definitely human designed GFGs and her engine signature is similar to our own in too many ways for her to have been designed by xenos.” the young Ensign finished sounding rather sure of herself.
Wykok grudgingly agreed with the young Ensign, it was a human ship and that meant another Human Star Nation. Icara had not even seen another human nation in centuries and now suddenly one of their warships was on a vector that would take it straight to an Icaran colony, and worse then that she wasn’t responding to hails.

“Sir they are still not replying to hails, it’s possible that they are not on our frequency or that they don’t understand basic sir.” Com officer Griffon sounded almost wishful as he turned to his captain.
Wykok scowled as he thought, frantically trying to find any reasonable excuse for that ship to be ignoring him, but if it had been as simple as not being on his frequency any decent starship would at least have the proper detection nets to realize that a constant stream of information was being sent on another frequency, and any decent captain would have tried to send back SOME form of acknowledgement.
“We can’t risk that Ensign.” Wykok said bitterly as he shifted position uncomfortably in his chair and then looked over at his weapons officer.
“Guns, plot a missile intercept and fire.” He looked grim as he gave that order and made sure he ignored the look of shock on his crew’s faces.

“Missiles away sir.” The weapons officer said crisply as the familiar sound of a launch was heard throughout the ship.
Three objects sped away from the Icaran destroyer’s prow at huge velocities and seconds later the sprint missile impacted brilliantly on the engine housing of the unknown ship. A stream of point defense fire from the enemy frigate tore one of the larger ship killers right out of the stars unfortunately for her though the second one slammed into one of her cannons.

“Sir she’s returning fire with cannon!” The tactical officer said just as the holotank showed two shots pass the destroyer by meters.
“Let’s finish this before they get a second shot guns.” Wykok said gruffly as he watched the third enemy shell tear past his destroyer.

The cannon crews input their targeting data into the ship’s computers at amazing speed and within a second the gunnery officer’s panel showed all four cannons lit, signifying their target acquisition data. The gunnery officer pressed the data and four cannon shells burst forth from his ship at .2c.
“We have three hits sir!” The tactical officer announced as a massive hole was torn out of the enemy frigate.
A second broadside with the cannons soon broke the enemy ship to pieces sending wreckage and bodies into the void of space.
Little did the crew of HMS Claw know it but they had made the first contact with the Neo Star Empire the first of many Human Nations Icara would likely encounter on her way to supremacy of the galaxy.