.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 1st, 2009, 04:09 AM

Private

Snoddasmannen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official release of the unofficial Dominions 3 Wiki

Hi lch,

Very useful wiki, great effort, great job!

Keeping up my own futile attempts at being useful to the community, I have added links from my online interface of the spell/forge database to your wiki. So a description off the spell/item is just one click away.

http://www2.onyx.nu/pb/dom3/spells.html

Something which really interests me is reading what other players think of the spells/items, how they use them and so on. Would you say that this is covered by the "What this is not" section above, or are you open to having a fuzzy area where users can leave hints/use cases for the items? In the main article? The discussion page? A new cool page for each article which you can hack together in no time?
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoddasmannen View Post
Keeping up my own futile attempts at being useful to the community, I have added links from my online interface of the spell/forge database to your wiki. So a description off the spell/item is just one click away.

http://www2.onyx.nu/pb/dom3/spells.html
Thanks! Be aware that some spells have multiple versions which share the same name, but that shouldn't be much of a problem because the Wiki has disambiguation links/pages for that.

Quote:
Something which really interests me is reading what other players think of the spells/items, how they use them and so on. Would you say that this is covered by the "What this is not" section above, or are you open to having a fuzzy area where users can leave hints/use cases for the items?
That's what the Wiki is for, users can and are encouraged to comment on the articles for the units, spells and items. At the moment, the articles for the items and spells are among the oldest code, there is no special "Notes" section for that yet. People can always add a new section to an article on their own, however. Eventually the item and spells articles will get redone so that they have a "Notes" section like all the unit articles have now, check e.g. Assassin and Lord of the Night for that. A couple of spells already have a "Short summary" section, like Doom, where the spell's effects are being explicitly stated, and all the globals have a section titled "A dire portent" which describes the messages that are being generated when the global is successfully cast, see e.g. Gift of Health. In principle, users can leave anything on the article pages. Here are two items pages where you can see what I had in mind: The inspiration sections on The Chalice and especially on The Ark.

Quote:
In the main article? The discussion page? A new cool page for each article which you can hack together in no time?
Some people already started articles named Key item and Key spell which are linked to from the Main page to highlight important items and spells in the game. Another possibility would be to link to the articles directly from a nation's strategy guide. Basically, you can do what you want. The discussion pages should only be for discussions about the article's layout, not about the item/spell itself, though. The forums are more useful for discussions like that, I think.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I'm sure I posted in this thread, but the Forum must have eaten it... Great, great job, Ich. Very nice work, particularly the unit descriptions. It's really helpful, and obvious that you put a lot of work into it. I especially appreciate how easy it is to copy the unit sprites. Makes modding 1000% easier.

I did notice that the listed units' equipment is often inaccurate. Natural weapons often seem to be duplicated, and manufactured weapons don't always appear.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:37 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
I did notice that the listed units' equipment is often inaccurate. Natural weapons often seem to be duplicated, and manufactured weapons don't always appear.
I'm not aware of that. Can you pinpoint some examples where this bug manifests itself? Then I'll add it to the bug tracker and try to fix it when I have time for that.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Here. And here (should be bite+claw, not claw+claw). And so on. You should visit IRC more lch, I could point this stuff out for you
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM

General

I'll just point to the bug tracker again: http://dom3.servegame.com/bugs/

Come on, hurt me.

P.S.: I can see it now, a typo on the database import. The data will be refreshed shortly.
Emergency comic relief

Last edited by lch; November 3rd, 2009 at 08:15 AM..
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:14 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Absolutely fabulous job on the Wiki lch. What more can be said other than awesome.

One potential mistake though. Are the siege mechanics in the Wiki correct? Since they appear to be following what is printed in the manual. Which I understand (and have observed) to be incorrect.

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Siege

If the Wiki does have the wrong information on this, then I am surprised, since it was you who pointed out the error in the manual, and also supplied the correct siege mechanic formula Link to a brain refresh below

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...ght=post685786
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
One potential mistake though. Are the siege mechanics in the Wiki correct? Since they appear to be following what is printed in the manual. Which I understand (and have observed) to be incorrect.
Check the dates, the last time that the Wiki article was edited was half a year before I wrote that forum post. I did debug the game code prior to writing the forum post, so it's likely those are the correct formulas.

I dare you to fix the Wiki article... There are likely more things not up to date.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM

Corporal

zzcat is on a distinguished road

A small bug: All capital-only units and commanders are not listed in the "Units" section of nation description page...
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Excellent work lch.
By any chance did you create an import from Edi's spreadsheets for up-to-date core pages on some of these areas? The reason I ask is that if you ended up with a script to export the different sections to text files as a half-way point I could sure make use of that.