.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official release of the unofficial Dominions 3 Wiki

This is great, thanks for all the hard work. I would love to add all my meager content to the site. I noticed that you already have the Jotunheim guide but if you'd like to use my magic path booster guide too, go for it. I'm not really sure where something like that would go though.
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Second Lieutenant

I spent a good hour or two on the site today at work. Two unit entries I noticed were all messed up.

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Davana
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Mandaha

This is because the names of these units were changed in a patch (to Danava and Mandeha).
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Ich == winner!!
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:23 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcat View Post
A small bug: All capital-only units and commanders are not listed in the "Units" section of nation description page...
Not a bug, but WAD. Those units are being granted via the national sites, they're not normal recruitables. The site data isn't in yet. DrPraetorius did start adding information about capital-only units by hand, but only for some of the nations in the Early Age, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
By any chance did you create an import from Edi's spreadsheets for up-to-date core pages on some of these areas? The reason I ask is that if you ended up with a script to export the different sections to text files as a half-way point I could sure make use of that.
No, I did not use Edi's spreadsheets, in fact it was the other way around, I sent my findings to Edi so that he could update the data in those spreadsheets. Edi did help with recognizing and naming some unit abilities, though. I am reading the data from the game executable so that it will always be up-to-date with the upcoming patches. The downside is that first I have to find it and understand it, and rediscover the formulas that are being used in the game. One reason why the "real" prot and enc values aren't in there yet, they depend on the armor worn.

Quote:
The reason I ask is that if you ended up with a script to export the different sections to text files as a half-way point I could sure make use of that.
I can send you my text exports, if you want. The script that I am using is a gigantic mashup of Python code and you have to change the code by hand in order to make it generate the different text files. You'd have to learn Python in order to make use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector24 View Post
I noticed that you already have the Jotunheim guide but if you'd like to use my magic path booster guide too, go for it. I'm not really sure where something like that would go though.
You can start working on it in your personal space, at User:Sector24/Magic_Path_booster_guide for example. The article can then be moved or linked to wherever it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector24 View Post
I spent a good hour or two on the site today at work. Two unit entries I noticed were all messed up.
Thanks for the work, that's encouraging. I don't have much time for working on the Wiki anymore and intend to mostly work on the technical stuff, if at all, not on the content anymore. I wish I'd have time to train more people about editing Wikitext - it's not hard to do! - or start a tutorial about it.

I'll delete the stale unit articles, they're indeed leftovers from previous patch versions.

I am indeed even visiting the SMW Camp 2009 this weekend in order to find out how to make the Wiki better in regards to the use of Semantic MediaWiki, in fact. Let's see if that leads to some nice changes.
Emergency comic relief

Last edited by lch; November 5th, 2009 at 04:36 PM..
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
Quote:
By any chance did you create an import from Edi's spreadsheets for up-to-date core pages on some of these areas? The reason I ask is that if you ended up with a script to export the different sections to text files as a half-way point I could sure make use of that.
I can send you my text exports, if you want.
Thanks, but I have some of those. I was going to automate some of the files in www.dom3minions.com/docs so that I could repull the data after every patch. Since the first line is always the same, and there is usually an "end" marker of some sort for each section it wouldnt be hard (which is probably why it never got done).

Quote:
The script that I am using is a gigantic mashup of Python code and you have to change the code by hand in order to make it generate the different text files. You'd have to learn Python in order to make use of it.
Ahh no dont say that about Python. I always felt that one of the benefits was that you didnt have to learn it to use it, or even to modify. Just if you wanted to write from scratch. But once someone has done the hard part the code almost reads like english.

But thanks. I might ask for it later if I give up.
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Second Lieutenant

Thanks, I used your link to post the guide. I can see why you don't want to take an active role as the admin...it took me several hours to interlink the guide with the pages it refers to.

Another thing I noticed sitewide is that the summon spells don't link to the units that they summon. I manually added links to a lot of the path boosting commanders as part of the guide, but I was wondering if there was a way to programmatically link the unit ID to the spell that summons it.
Old November 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Thank you, lch!
The Following User Says Thank You to PashaDawg For This Useful Post:
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:37 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Ich, is there a place for mod Nations in the wiki?

I was also wondering if you had any interest in listing/connecting the CBM stats and changes, in some form, along with the vanilla units?

And, does anyone know if the newest updates to the game have corrected the fuzzy sprite "fading" that occur with the basic installation of the game? That's all I have access to (and only for a few hours a week at that), and with the sprites being so clean in the wiki, I was hoping that that had been corrected at some point. If not, it seems like a possibility that it now could be.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:50 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Ich, is there a place for mod Nations in the wiki?
Go ahead, put anything that's related to Dom3 into the Wiki. I generally want to encourage adding any kind of content, even if it's just a draft, and improving it with incremental updates. You could work on it in your user space until the articles become mature enough, same answer as I gave to Sector24.

Quote:
I was also wondering if you had any interest in listing/connecting the CBM stats and changes, in some form, along with the vanilla units?
Of course I do, in fact I even had that in mind when I started the Wiki, that you could switch to the CBM version data through a tab. That would require that I write a Dom3 mod file parser or rely on ongoing updates by hand, though, which both doesn't seem that feasible at this time.

Quote:
And, does anyone know if the newest updates to the game have corrected the fuzzy sprite "fading" that occur with the basic installation of the game? That's all I have access to (and only for a few hours a week at that), and with the sprites being so clean in the wiki, I was hoping that that had been corrected at some point. If not, it seems like a possibility that it now could be.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you give an example with a graphic, maybe?
Emergency comic relief
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is an issue with resolution I think. The graphics go fuzzy if you display low resolution settings in fullscreen mode. I had one issue where I couldn´t change the resolution at all on one of my installations, and that led to fuzzy graphics. A clean install solved it.