.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road
Default Where to find a game?

I was directed here as a place to look for new games starting... I have lots of Dom3 SP experience but no MP experience, and I thought it would be fun to give it a try. But all I see here is games already in progress. Where do new games show up?
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Corporal

JayThomas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to find a game?

Likewise, I've been coming here for awhile and checking. I have little SP experience (just got the game last week) and zero MP.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hellboy is on a distinguished road

This is the right place to come, but it's not a huge community, so you won't find games starting every day (I guess I've seen roughly one new game per week advertised here). I guess the games announced here are the longer term games, typically hosting once per day, or less.

There is also sticky on the main Dom3 forum for the IRC channel, and I gather that blitz games are often started off the IRC channel.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

The new games show up here, but only if someone wants to host one. So you have to wait till then (or host the game yourself).
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Also FYI, it seems like there are a lot more people who want to play than are willing to host, so the games fill up quick. Not a bad idea to try your hand at hosting if you want to get right into a couple games, just make a post stating what type of game you want to host and you'll have people sign up pretty quick. For instance, you might pick an age, a map, magic site frequency, turn host frequency, mods or whatever else is important to you. The short story on hosting is you can either leave your computer running an instance of Dom3 for each game you're hosting 24/7, or you can play by email and have everyone mail you their turns, which you drop in the game directory, host, and send their turn files back to them. Just keep in mind these games usually run for several months, so you're volunteering to host for that long even if you get eliminated.
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:10 PM

BANNED USER

Cor is on a distinguished road

Let me get this straight,
So if i wanted to i could pick all that stuff. post that i am looking for players and have people email me thier turns?

I could decide when the game would host? could I say m-f No weekends, once a day at 5pm for example?
Then once I have the emails how do I drop them into the game directory? How do they get their games back? to i email back to them? Just copy the saved game to everyone?

If its that easy i am down.
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cor said:
Let me get this straight,
So if i wanted to i could pick all that stuff. post that i am looking for players and have people email me thier turns?

I could decide when the game would host? could I say m-f No weekends, once a day at 5pm for example?
Then once I have the emails how do I drop them into the game directory? How do they get their games back? to i email back to them? Just copy the saved game to everyone?

If its that easy i am down.
Cor, just read pages 29 - 32 of the Dom 3 manual. Both types of MP, PBEM and network hosting are explained there and should answer all your questions. If you do host a game, remember its a long term commitment, perhaps 6 months+ depending on turn around and a certain amount of hassle.
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Oh also one other thought, if you're hosting a game for your first MP experience it might be worthwile to post it as a newbie game. You'll probably get a bit more leeway to experiment with different things that way, a lot of things play significantly differently in MP than in SP because you're not used to your oppenents doing things like building SC (Super Combatants) or countering your strategy.
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

Countering strategies is really evil. I make a strat and then it gets countered and I loose. Seems like I have no knowledge on how to react.
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:21 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

So, I joined a demo only game (waiting for my copy to arrive) and uploaded my god... how do i know when the last slot is filled? Just keep checking?

its here
http://game.dom3minions.com/bin/demo_chk.cgi

but not familiar with the dom3minions site so...