World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 30th, 2015, 03:58 AM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road
Default M/c units

This is probably a dumb question.

M/c units that are fired on when moving are easy targets. Does this also apply when stationary or are they treat like any other stationary infantry unit?
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:12 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: M/c units

Not a dumb question - I cant seem to get using motorcyles right!

From the game guide it seems Light move like infantry, and heavy move like vehicles (in terms of entering buildings, terrain, etc) - does this mean light take damage like inf too???
(I seem to have my M/C troops hit with AT weapons, and become buttoned and immobilised like vehicles - yet die, when moving, like infantry!!!)

Watching this for answers with interest...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:11 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

A lot of MC units are size 2, which tends to make them easy targets.

In my experience, motorcycle units tend to be very vulnerable, so use them with care. At least they can flee quickly if they come under fire. But I would certainly advice using them on their own. Maybe keeping them as a highly mobile reserve that can be used to reinforce other parts of your force as needed?

Historically, motorcycle units tended to go out of fashion as WWII progressed, though individual motorcycles were still retained for messengers and liaison duties. Back in the 30's many military planners seem to have considered motorcycles as an easy and cheap means of mobilising infantry, so many armies had MC companies or battalions in the beginning of the war. However, in practice trucks seem to have proved more practical means of transportation, probably more due to logistical than tactical reasons: replacing 75 motorcycles with 15 trucks meant that you needed to train fewer drivers, had fewer engines to maintain, had more transport capacity for supplies (and heavy weapons) and were probably easier to organise on the move. In any case, the motorcycle units were relying on trucks to transport their supplies and heavier support weapons.

So the historically accurate solution would be to upgrade them into truck-mounted infantry, at least in a campaing environment. Unless you are playing late was German Volksgrenadiers, in which case bicycles would probably be a more accurate option...
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:38 PM

Private

Lancer is on a distinguished road

Does it matter if they are the type that can dismount or not?

I like using ones that can dismount. In Soviet LC (Sep 39) I am using one m/c platoon and I think they are size one, whether mounted or dismounted.