.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old February 17th, 2014, 07:40 PM

Corporal

-Luc- is on a distinguished road
Smile Scenarios

Hi,

After I got a new computer I decided to try scenarios.

All player preferences are at 100%;
All realism preferences are ON;

I begun with the first one: Obong-Ni Ridge.

Here the results:

At the begining, it was easy. US snipers and MGs did a very good job from their defensive position. But, T-34s appeared and dificulties began. U.S.M.C. AT weapons are underpowered. The 57mm RR was unable to destroy a tank. The 75mm RR was just a little bit better with one succesfull hit. Only the bazookas did a good job but they ran out of ammo very fast. It was not enough. Hopefully, planes helped with two hits. North Korean used very soon a smoke screen. It was a good idea for them but bad for U.S.M.C. soldiers. They were able to approach with a minimum of casulties. The Marines were strong. The resisted long despite casulties and intense shelling from North Korea. Hopefully, M26s and reinforcement arrived. They destroyed remaining T-34s and began to push bach the enemies. Planes were able to focus on artillery beside the enemy line and did a good job. It was to dangerous for U.S.M.C. to use them to kill enemy units on the front line. At the end, U.S.M.C. was able to detach a platoon of infantry from the south and a detachment of M26 from the north to clear the valley of enemy units and remove presure on other soldiers. It worked well. U.S.M.C. kept their victory flags and was able to regain almost all the the one he had lost. The battle end at turn 26...

In comparaison:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_B..._Naktong_Bulge

If someone can do better...

Thank you!
-Luc-

Last edited by -Luc-; February 19th, 2014 at 11:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to -Luc- For This Useful Post:
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:28 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenarios

Nice summary Luc, seem to remember this was quite hard.
Sure you know this but thing is to try & keep baz equipped guys concealed, by using smoke yourself & suppressing any enemy that comes near so they are not seen.
If you have bought game setting OP filter helps so they only fire at infantry if adjacent or take fire so have been spotted & range vs armour to 3 or so for accuracy.

Seem to remember though most BAZ equipped units were not ideally positioned calling for tough choices.

Good work look forward to your next post.
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

Nice AAR, it's a good scenario for PBEM, if both players haven't played it before.
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

I have the casualty statistics for this battle and it was 187 marines for my side and 744 NKoreans plus 12 AFV for my enemy, so you did slightly better.
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:14 PM

Corporal

Smile Re: Scenarios

Hi,

@ Imp: I had the idea to protect my soldiers with smoke. However, I thought it was better to take advantage of the range of my weapons, especially snipers and MGs. They were very deadly... N.K. used smoke two times. The first time it was very early in the game and they were able to get very close. When your enemy is numerous that's bad: your unit can repel few units but at the end, it take few hard hits and it's finish. It was easier to kill the enemies undercover in the botom of the valley than in close combat. My experience...

@ Oche: Thank you.

@ Aeraa: Thank you. You can try to do better than me, I did some big mistakes...

Thank you,
-Luc-
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:39 PM

Corporal

Hi,

The second one is: Abandoning Seoul.

Here the results:

This fight was not very difficult. Two infantry platoon with one Crownwell each were keeping east and west approches. The third one, with the two remaning Crownwell were moving to secure the bridge and the crossroads. Chinese, with almost no AT weapons had no chance. Soon, their mortars started to fire on British troops with some success. As soon we located the smoke, U.S. planes arrived. Whitout AA weapons, it was easy to destroy few of these mortars. The figh was a little bit more dificult at the crossroads and one of the Crownwell was damaged. After a good firefight, British troop got all flags. A strange thing in that scenario was the retreating direction of Chinese (east) and British (west). I know the reason for that but almost everytime the chinese unit were retreating, they were destroyed coming in the british lines. The game end at turn 11.

Thank you!
-Luc-
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:42 PM

Corporal

Unhappy Re: Scenarios

Hi,

Here is the third scenario: Road to El-Arish.

The results:

What a battle! The most difficult so far. Egyptian propelled AT guns shoots everything at a long distance. Fortunately, the Israeli air force is effective. Progress is slow and several vehicles were destroyed and soldiers killed. The enemy infantry is offering a strong resistance and crossing the hills to the east is particularly difficult. Most of the Israeli tanks were destroyed. Should they be called tanks or armored car? Our forces are exhausted and the Egyptian counter-offensive is coming. The battle end at turn 14 with a marginal defeat for Israel but I am almost certain that if it had continued, we would have lost.

http://www.sixdaywar.org/content/southernfront.asp

Thank you!
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

That's a good result for a first try Luc. Pretty well mirrors my own experience a year or so ago. You can check out the scenario discussion (posted in the Scenarios and Campaigns section) here:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=50039
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Corporal

Hi,

Thank you Jivemi for your comment and the link; I didnt think to a flank attack...

Here is the fourth scenario: Egyptian Armor - Six Day War.

The results:

What a battle! A lot of tanks and a open battlefield.

After an analysis of the Egyptian forces, I am rather optimistic. Egyptian commander decide to create two companies of ten tanks (T-54B) each. The first one move to the north and the other to the east. While the tanks move, the infantry is taking a defensive positions behind the hills to the west. Soon, a lot of Israeli tanks (Meteor (Centurion) and Mag (M-60)) are approching the egyptian army. The M60s are dangerous but not as much as Centurions. The Egyptian command realize that despite the effectiveness of its T-54B tanks, he will be quickly overwhelmed by the enemy. The fight broke out. Several M-60 are destroyed without too much loss. Unfortunately, the situation is different in the north. The Centurions and Israeli air force rapidly destroy many T-54B and the Egyptians are quickly routed. It is obvious that the number will make the difference. The decision to use the T-34/85s is taken. After a brief analysis, it's clear that these tanks must be use in ambush. The power of the 85mm canon is not enought to destroy a Centurion from the front. The T-34/85s join the infantry behind the hills and wait to shoot from the flanks. Despite the constant attacks of aviation, the technical and numeric disavantage, the plan work. The Israeli loose tanks after tank. Finally, the flags are conquered and HQ discovered.

Thank you!