.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 7th, 2003, 05:52 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Damage Types: Pierce, Slash, and Crush

Dominions has a lot of unit types, a lot of weapon types, and several armor types. This yields a large variety of armies to be fielded... and yet... so many of them can be so similar! Take the 2 barbarian classes, for example - greatsword and maul. The greatsword has slightly higher defense and attack, thus is universally better. But is that realistic? Could there be no situation where a maul is better than a greatsword?

In certain D&D games (like Baldur's Gate) and some strategy games (like Warlords: Battlecry) this is handled by assigning a damage type to each weapon. For example, pierce for bows, spears, pikes, and rapiers; slash for swords, daggers, and claws; and crush for hammers, flails, maces, axes, and fists. These would be especially nice to differentiate units of nations like Vanheim, which has a bunch of similar-seeming human infantry, varying only slightly in stats despite their different types of weapons.

To make these damage types relevant, of course, there would need to be different armor types or armor bonuses. The simplest would be similar to the AD&D style: each armor has a base protection, and gets a bonus to each of the three damage types. So full leather might have a base protection of 3, with +1 versus crush and +3 versus slash. The final protection would be 3 versus piercing, 4 versus crushing, and 6 versus slashing. Plate armor, on the other hand, would be relatively flat, with maybe a base 12 and no bonuses.

Furthermore, certain creature types could be assigned bonuses - skeletons (longdead) could inherently have a +5 pierce and +2 slash protection, soulless a +3 pierce protection, and things with no bones like vine ogres might have a +4 crush protection.

That's just one possibility, a simple one, which would make choosing armor types and weapon types a much more interesting process. Going against Ulm, for example, you'd want armors most protective against crush and pierce, since they have no standard slashing units... but Ulm could counter by recruiting independent swordsmen. Suddenly, there would be a REASON for Ulm to seek out independent swordsmen!

The Warlords: Battlecry style assigns a damage reduction percentage to each damage type - so skeletons would get maybe 70% pierce protection, 40% slash protection, and +50% extra crush damage. This would be more in line with Dominions "Wards" - a creature could get little armor icons in the ability list, displaying the percentage increase or decrease in damage from each source.

Well, I'm not going to try to force any specific game mechanics on everyone; I'm just trying to make suggestions about how I would probably implement a "damage type" feature. But I think the presence of such a system would make army design a much more thoughtful process, and add greatly to the game.

-Cherry
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Damage Types: Pierce, Slash, and Crush

In NWN [RPG] there are 3 damage types: Slashing, Piercing and bludgeoning.

If we would have 3 different weapon types with different armor types, that would be awesome!

Example: Scalemail armor: 5 prot against slashing, 7 against piercing, and 2 against bludgeoning. etc. -> More strategic than just 1 damage/armor type.

[ October 07, 2003, 17:09: Message edited by: DominionsFAN ]

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

I do like the idea. In roleplaying games it is a nice feature that unfortunately slows down battles a bit. In computer games time is no problem.

I wouldn't mind seeing this feature in Dominions and we have given it some quick thougth. The main problem is that it would take a lot of data editing to implement. Above one thousand units and perhaps two hundred armors would need differentiated protection values and above three hundred weapons would need damage types.

Still, I do like the idea.
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristoffer O:
Good, now I'll feel special all day!

-Cherry
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Corporal

Yojinbo is on a distinguished road

Kristoffer O,

Anything we can help with? Some actual work would keep this group from bothering you with new ideas every 2 hours....
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:00 PM

BANNED USER

Mortifer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Me too.
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:13 PM

General

Quote:
Originally posted by Yojinbo:
Kristoffer O,

Anything we can help with? Some actual work would keep this group from bothering you with new ideas every 2 hours....
Nothing wrong with more ideas. More is more!

Actual work is not possible at the moment. The game will go gold soon and only small and very useful changes can be made. We don't want to risk adding new bugs now.

Ideas on the other hand can be stored in the Acashic Records and put to use at a later date.

Ergo: keep bothering us.
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
quote:
Good, now I'll feel special all day!

-Cherry

Nice post Saber. The idea is not new as you already pointed out, but is a good one that add realism & interest, without added micromanagement
I vote for you if you are candidate in California... mmmh no way? Ok I will give you my stars vote then
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Yojinbo:
Kristoffer O,

Nothing wrong with more ideas. More is more!

Actual work is not possible at the moment. The game will go gold soon and only small and very useful changes can be made. We don't want to risk adding new bugs now.

Ideas on the other hand can be stored in the Acashic Records and put to use at a later date.

Ergo: keep bothering us.

Maybe if you could give them the game manuals to proofread?
Or has it been done already?

And yes, this would be nice, but i can see the work what it takes, just for armors and weapons and then for units with inherent bonuses...

[ October 07, 2003, 19:17: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:30 PM

General

Two of our beloved betatesters have proofread the manual as well as all descriptions in the game.