.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Development > All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 22nd, 2002, 04:54 PM

Private

Gizah is on a distinguished road
Default Question about 101st

I know that this is not a 101 forum but I figured this was my best place to get a question answered.

I dug out 101 the other day in anticipation of All American's impending release, and I encountered some of the same nagging problems that I had when I played this outstanding game the first time.

What sort of actions trigger demolition of targets in those missions requiring you to take out a target? In the blow the bridge mission one of my soldiers crawled to the middle of the bridge under heavy fire and the bridge blew and I was given a mission complete screen. I don't think he even had a demo charge or satchel on him. In the mission where you are to destroy the three communication poles, I have had a soldier dance all around those poles and their demolition is never triggered. This is frustrating since he was under cover of precious smoke and under fire the whole time. I am sure that the stick memebers had the requisite demolition equipment to do the job, why no trigger?

My only other tiny beefs that hopefully are being addressed in All American are:

The surrender effect seems forced. My soldier stands there with his hands up even though every enemy on that section of the map is neutralized and he is surrounded by healthy brothers in arms. It seems like requiring all enemy units to be subdued in order for him to recover his composure is a bit unrealistic. I can only imagine how warmly he would be welcomed back into the stick after the firefight is over

It seems a bit too hard for a soldier to spot an enemy in broad daylight,running out in the open. Especially when that particular soldier has already spotted that enemy before.

There needs to be some indication (or at least a chance for some indication) as to where enemy fire is coming from. Even if the information was very general like near, far, north, west, sonething like that. This information could even be sometimes inaccurate to model realistic battlefield conditions, but it seems that my soldiers would at least have a chance to know where fire is coming from.

When the spotting problem is coupled with the problem of not knowing where fire is coming from you can end up with an (unrealistic) mess. I had a German lying on the floor of a house take out two soldiers in the same room with him over the course of multiple turns. Even if he was lying under the bed, I think the third soldier would at least know that someone was shooting at them from INSIDE THE ROOM.

Anyone else agree or disagree with these concerns?

To avoid sounding too negative, these are relatively minor problems in what is a truly great game. I can't wait for All American to be released, hopefully, with some of these issues addressed.