.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:55 PM

Private

jvsclapius is on a distinguished road
Default Black Hole Fortress? POSSIBLE SPOILERS

There are mild spoilers in this question, but not too many, because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I somehow managed to find the stronghold of Primordius (due to the prophecy in the Horologue, I think). I'd got the Graviton Shunt, so I paid him a visit, but my thrusters were low-quality and his multitude of fighters blew me up.

If I'd used my Limited Vacuum Collapser, could I have taken him out without entering battle? Or would I have had to actually find the object specifically needed to defeat him ("Damocles")?

I may never know peace until I destroy Primordius. A bit much, I know, but hey -- it's Primordius.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:43 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Black Hole Fortress? POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I would get the Damocles if for no other reason than that ship is FUN. Plus it isn't that hard to get even without a pimped out ship.
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Sergeant

James Sterrett is on a distinguished road

The LVC would probably take him out - never pbeen in a position to try it!
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM

Corporal

Zogu is on a distinguished road

You can find where Primordius' fortress is located, either by finding the "Horloge of Primordius", or by using a "Continuum Renderer Array" or an "Hyperwave Filter Array" (which will detect which black hole contains ships). Anyway, this isn't the important part of the story.

You have two ways of destroying Primordius' fortress:
- you use the Damocles ship
- or you use the Chromium Gong (well it works fine with the Fortress itself, though I don't know about the ships)

The famed Damocles ship is protected by a circle of protection drones. They use powerful medium range weapons, so the only realistic way of defeating them is by using a long range weapon, the most efficient being (of course) a good ol' "Particle Vortex Cannon". I haven't tried boarding Damocles while cloaked, maybe it works too.

The Damocles ship has an "Anti-Graviton Shunt" already installed onboard, so you don't need to worry finding this item before going to the black hole. It also has some powerful weapons (Cobalt Torpedoes), which are necessary for destroying Primordius' fortress. But you'd better transfer your best hardware from your current ship to the Damocles, especially if you own a powerful shield, a cloaker, good thrusters, and a "Sardion Optimizer".

A Hyperdrive can also be quite useful, if the black hole is located across the sector.

PS: I only play medium-sized maps, so I may not always give a thorough explanation about everything.
Old December 7th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Private

TaoLibra is on a distinguished road

The first time I found the Fortress, although I had the Damocles, I freaked out and instantly used the Chromium Gong on it. It worked, of course, but it was slightly... unsatisfying.

So the second time I found it, I decided to try ramming the Damocles into it (as was obviously intended), because I wanted to see how cool that looked. So I made the Damocles my "Leader," made a nice line formation with all my other ships spread out to either side of the Damocles, and loaded them all with either anti-fighter weapons (to hold off that endless stream of them that comes out after you) or long-range capital ship killer weapons to pound the Fortress — I even smashed the Timeless Bauble just to get a third Cobalt Torpedo — and I put Reactionless Thrusters in the Damocles to make it move as fast as possible.

Then I popped into the Black Hole and immediately began charging the Fortress...

Well, "charging" very slowly, anyway. Seems the Damocles is so damned big that even Reactionless Thrusters don't move it all that fast.

But charge (slowly) we did, sweeping aside wave after wave of fighters on the way (and thank you, Happiness is indeed a PVC)... and as we drew near enough for the long-range weapons to start firing at the Fortress, I discovered with some dismay that 1) the Fortress apparently repairs both its shields and its hull damage VERY quickly, and 2) Holy Crap, IT has Cobalt Torpedos, too! And OUCH, they sting! It was taking some serious chunks off of the Damocles' Temporal Flux Shield, and I was starting to worry that I might not surive to make that ramming attempt...

And then, as we drew near enough for the medium range weapons to start firing too, we began to cause some serious damage to the Fortress (finally causing the damage faster than the Fortress could repair it)... and then, as we began to draw VERY near and the short range weapons began to fire as well, and the Damocles was LESS than one full ship's length away from ramming the Fortress, it suddenly went dark and began sparking, then burning, and then it blew up.

Okay, so three Cobalt Torpedos, a Multi-Missile Launcher, a Particle Vortex Cannon, a Tachyon Ray Gun, a Positron Scrambler Beam, and an Anti-Chronon Pulse Blaster (with all the best battle computers behind them, and a variety of smaller weapons, to boot) are apparently enough to kill the Fortress.

But I got cheated out of the pleasure of RAMMING it.

AGAIN.

[sigh]

I wish there was a way to make the Horloge/Damocles/Primordius Quest occur more frequently...
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Private

MarkY is on a distinguished road

I had the Gong experience too, which is very anticlimactic (and probably should be disabled). I still think some of the ultra-powerful items / powers (Gong, Mirror, folding) should be limited in uses, if nothing else.

Regarding getting Damocles, I was able to fly a fighter right through the ring and then board Damocles and use Damocles itself to kill its guards. Easy as cake!
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Corporal

nihilix is on a distinguished road

Put the Cloaker on the Damocles.

Cloak.

Retreat everyone else.

Target Primordius with the Damocles.

Go get a cup of coffee, wash some dishes, read the paper.

Come back, and watch the fireworks.
Old December 10th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Corporal

Brainiac4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Zogu said:
The Damocles ship has an "Anti-Graviton Shunt" already installed onboard, so you don't need to worry finding this item before going to the black hole. It also has some powerful weapons (Cobalt Torpedoes), which are necessary for destroying Primordius' fortress. But you'd better transfer your best hardware from your current ship to the Damocles, especially if you own a powerful shield, a cloaker, good thrusters, and a "Sardion Optimizer".
The Damocles comes equipped with a Temporal Flux Shield, which is the best in the game. So no need to upgrade. If you have the Cloak, though, that's totally worth transferring, as Nihilix pointed out.
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:59 PM

Corporal

Zogu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Damocles comes equipped with a Temporal Flux Shield, which is the best in the game. So no need to upgrade.
Yeah that's true , I just realized that in my latest game.

By the way, are the Cobalt Torpedoes THAT powerful in "standard" combat situations? I tried to use them against the largest Tchorak rock (Mother Vent) but it didn't seem that good.

PS: I think that against the Tchorak, the best weapon combination is a short range point defense weapon (for instance, the good old Neptunium Railgun) + any good attack weapon. The point defense weapon if very effective against the "guided meteorites" burped by the Tchorak.
Old December 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Corporal

Shadowcat is on a distinguished road

The Neptunium Railgun is good, but personally I like a permanent barrier blocking my ships from harm while I hammer them with long-range missiles