.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets II: Mysteria's Revenge. EA, CBM, Sign Up and Discussion.

I'm tempted to play in the rematch but I think that the timing is way too slow. Especially for a game thats expected to last even longer than the original.
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets II: Mysteria's Revenge. EA, CBM, Sign Up and Discussion.

I'm not playing but I would like to comment that I think the 2:1 odds is really too much against the vets. I think almost every matchup at these odds will result in the noobs winning esp. if they press their advantage early in the game. I think 3:2 would be more fair/exciting. In the last game many of the noobs didn't even have access to the vets and I suspect the game would have been even more lopsided if they had.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

This sounds like a lot of fun.

Can the teams work coordinated like individual team members taking roles (like frontline fighter or forge whore) or is the start to random to do that?
If so I'd like to join the noob team.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am already trying to keep Baalz from beheading me in WOTR.

I love these games however, my knowledge of Magic (or lack there of) would be a detriment to the team especially in a LARGE game.

Put me as an alternate and I will play if you need someone to round out the Noobs....Try and save Arco for me as its the one nation I DO know a little.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

OOPS, didn't see the part about not picking nations...
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

In the previous game it didn't quite work out coordinatedly. We had fixed starts but did not know them until the start of the game and some people were given access to the enemy, and some were not. This one will be on a larger map, with fixed start locations also. It should allow everyone access though. So it would be more possible to play for the team by having some players forge and others take up other duties as theri primary responsibilities.

Pyg, in the previous game you probably would have been right about that. In this one I am not so sure. The vet team in the first game was very weak magically and did not have room to expand. In this one I think overall gold income will be much closer, plus the vet team will be able to make much better use of their magic. It's a pretty strong disadvantage they're at at the beginning, but if you bump their numbers up too much it will be almost impossible to give the noob team any chance of victory.

Grudgebringer: That's the point! This is a game intended for people who are not that practiced at the game. The point is to learn by watching all the horrifying things the vet team comes up with to do to you. Think of it as a crash course in magic 101
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid I won't be playing if the odds are 2 to 1 again. We have already proved that is untenable. I will play if, as Pyg suggest, the teams are instead 3:2.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Oh well, I'm not playing anyway so I don't care that much about team sizes
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

So, I'm on the fence about playing again, I thought the last one was lots of fun, but that was largely due to the small map.

Would be possible to find some kind of compromise map? Last time was around 7 provs per player, the current selections are I think around 20. Maybe something like 14 per player?

Also, I disagree about reducing the odds, I think 2 vs 1 is fine, especially on a bigger map than last time.
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

If the map is large, giving us some time to build up an advantage, 2:1 is probably still ok. 15+ provs / player might be ok, but we should err on the side of caution given our last experience. My main worry being that even if a nation has 15 provs allocated when you think about laying out those provs radially, you might have as little as 2-3 provs b/w your cap and the enemy front. Thats not a long distance for an early rush, still.