.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 29th, 2008, 06:34 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Generated Campaign Troops out of ammo!!

Ever happen to anyone else 92 French peace keeping force.
3 Company of infantry all mounted 8 milan teams Company of cavalry tanks AMX 10RCs a few armored cars & 5 mortars.
Also to boost AI troops allotment 4 SAMs & 3 Lecrec MBT (nice & expensive) stuck in a corner weapons off.
Opponents Mujadeen, Afganistan, Somalia

First battle vs Mujadeen no real probs but have to be careful with my tanks. Up against about 20 old T-55s. ATGMs the real prob though poor armor on my tanks.

Second battle vs Somalia map left to right City openish 10-15 hex wide City. Decided to rush for open ground between cities & engage there. Most of force takes up defensive positions there while scouts enter his city for a look see. Enemy spotted send small force into city to engage. 2 turns later pulling out fast scouts spotted hordes of troops. Take up defesive positions to meet & wow theres hundreds of em 5 mortar tubes are not going to slow them.
Tactic, most of force defends while rest works its way round side with use of smoke to finish off damaged squads. Also got to find his arty as having to move defenders as AI pretty good at dumping 122mm arty on positions. Oh if have not played these guys very little armor just loads of troops & modified trucks.
Gets to about turn 22 I have killed all his arty bar a couple of 81mm mortars & am flanking up the map when I go to fire defending troops nothing happens. Have a look at out of ALL ammo, alarm look at others all in dire straights.
Emergency withdrawl & luckily have 2 ammo trucks who have been doing overtime supplying tanks with HE.
Turn 32 ends he still has troops so look at map. He still has about 40 squads left, what. End of battle report I lost 170 men he lost 2400+. Did the maths my force only consisted of 480 men including crews no wonder I ran out of ammo
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Generated Campaign Troops out of ammo!!

well - if you play with such a large points value, then the insurgent army will bring a horde of cheap sections to the battlefield. As already discussed in this thread only a few days ago.

E.g. each Milan team alone will be likely worth an insurgent band (especially if equipped with TI sights). And given the insurgent's lack of armour - why bring them to the party?. More mortars would be of more use.

A company of AMX10 - will be worth a brigade equivalent or so of Mujadeen most likely!. Leclercs vs insurgents ?!?.

The Insurgent force probably had many points left over - it will likely have reached maximum elements count. If it could have more than 1000 elements, it probably would have had half the force again. The Mujadeen do not have expensive elements to soak up the points.

As stated in the referenced thread, if playing a generated game against a guerilla force with modern (expensive) troops then base your force around maybe a rifle company and attachments. Unless you like mowing down a human wave of enemy forces!.

Same goes for any third-world army (e.g Zimbabwe, Somalia etc) that is based on cheap infantry with a few mortars, but doubly so for those that have no access to any significant armour (Mujadeen, Iraqi Insurgents, Viet Cong etc).

Cheers
Andy
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Generated Campaign Troops out of ammo!!

Only posted as never heard of anybody else having troops running out of ammo.
Valid points expected to be outnumbered did not read thread before set up thought would just try a campaign verses guerilla forces like big maps hence force size. SAMs & Lecrecs as stated not used just there to boost AI force size as sometimes do if fighting with more conventional forces to make game harder, pointless here. I know I could edit file. Milans there as did not know how much armor AI would feild.
Was an intresting exercise & think outcome could have been diffrent if had caught me in the streets. Close quarters the shear numbers would have got me as more targets than firepower. Certainly a lot heavier casulties. APCs actually more useful than battlefield taxis as can suppress to give troops a chance to fire without 6 units firing back.