This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old April 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Icon work (any suggestions?)

Here's a nice what if

Basically it's from an alternate history universe, where the T-95 project was picked by the US Military as the next generation tank to replace the M-48 Patton.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I think this one is the T-92 Light Tank. Was cancelled because the soviets had come up with an amphibious tank, the PT-76, and the T-92 could not float, so it was cancelled in favor of what became the M-551 Sheridan.
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

"FV4005 Stage 1" reminds me of the proposals for the Soviet T95 and the German special weapon in Red Alert 2 (Jagdpanzer thingy). I don't know if anyone here ever played those games but I bet that, and similar weapon systems, is where they got their ideas from.

The more prototypes and and drawingboard ideas I see the more I think, WOW! Some are plain rediculous, but others really seem quite plausible.

The T-92 above has a similar suspension to the Tetrarch by the looks of it. At least that is what it reminds me of.

That M60A3 doesn't look that different. The gun is longer, perhaps a higher calibre? What is this about an alternate timeline?

If you like I could make an icon for the M60A3 and possibly one of the "Conways". Other than that if you like I coud also work on that "FV44011" providing you gave me some idea as to the scale of it.

Has anyone done any work on that four tracked Soviet tank yet? What I need from you if you have is your armour values and so on.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

There is not a lot of material around about Object 279.
Unusually wikipedia seems the only source with detailed data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_279

I would say that the thing had about zero chances of being chosen for mass production under any circumstance.

By chance would you be interested in KV tanks?
There were a lot of designs based upon that tank which were put forward just before Barbarossa. I might manage to dig up some of them.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The more prototypes and and drawingboard ideas I see the more I think, WOW! Some are plain rediculous, but others really seem quite plausible.

You haven't seen crazy yet.

Swimming Tank proposal from the 50s. The turret is basically a normal angled turret inside, but with a huge outer steel shell built around it to provide flotation buoyancy with the air inside it.

Slat Armor is not new. The above image is from either the 50s or 60s.

Autoloading 105mm turret from the 1950s.

That M60A3 doesn't look that different. The gun is longer, perhaps a higher calibre? What is this about an alternate timeline?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I colored in that drawing for a friend of mine who is writing an alternate history story, and technology takes a different bent than it did historically.

Some history first...

The Army decided that an all new tank would be needed for it's future main battle tank in the mid 1950s, to replace the M-46/47/48 Pattons in service, which were all the results of "interim" tanks adapting parts of the previous tank in order to get them into service as fast as possible. You can still see a lot of the original tank, the M-26, in the M-46/47/48.

The first T-95 prototypes were fitted with a smoothbore 90mm gun.

The later T95E3 prototype had a 105mm gun installed.

Later, a 120mm gun was put into the T95E6; which was never built in prototype form, but you can see an artists rendering of it below.

An early precursor of Chobham Armor; known as Silaceous Cored armor, was to be used with the T95 program; and that search light thing on the side of the turret isn't a searchlight. Instead, it's a giant infrared light source used in the fire control system called OPTAR. Basically, a beam of intense IR light is bounced off a target, and the fire control system calculates range by counting the time between the IR light being on and the time it takes for the IR beam to bounce back. Sort of like how laser rangefinding works, but with IR and not affected by smoke apparently.

What happened was that the Army decided that the T95 program was too ambitious in 1960 and officially cancelled the T95 project; and decided to use the M48A2 rearmed with the 105mm T254E2 and call it the XM-60.

In my friend's story, the Army doesn't cancel the program, and instead produces the T95 as the M-60; and the never-built T95E6 is built as the M-60A3 of that story.

Other than that if you like I coud also work on that "FV4401" providing you gave me some idea as to the scale of it.

The dimensions for it are on this image

Linka

Hull is 13' 10" long and 8'3" Wide.

Overall length with the 120mm rifles forward is 17' 6".
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Captain

Thanks for all the information. I was wondering if you remembered how to work out armour values for the tanks. Its been a while since I had to convert real world figures into the game so I can't for the life of me remember.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM

Captain

Oh yeah and any info on the KV tanks would also be greatly appreciated. Anything that looks quite ahead of its time would be great.

I would also appreciate it if one of the more experienced members of the community could take a look at my most recent OOB work. Some of it is pure fantasy. What I need is for someone to look at it, suggest improvements and changes. Effectively to mark and grade it. If either Don or Mobhack have time to spare, or are interested, I would love to hear their thoughts too.

If youare interested and have a good knowledge of the game's mechanics, especially Mobhack, then please drop me a line here and I will send you a copy. One other thing, disregard the soundfiles, very few of them are in the original version.
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Here is a brief history of the experimental KV designs

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?...mid=48&lang=en

Here are the detaile blueprints fot the KV-220

http://www.the-blueprints.com/module...ew.php?nr=6572

and here is the KV-5

http://www.the-blueprints.com/module...ew.php?nr=6565

If I have understood correctly both the KV-220/KV-3 and the KV-5 were supposed to be mass produced, the first in large quantities as standard heavy tank, the second in limited numbers to be used in support of fixed defenses. Given that its weight was supposed to be around the 150 tons that was pretty much the only practical use (that and looking good during parades, I guess).
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Captain

Thanks for the information. I will put it to good use I hope.
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Captain

Ok, the two KV hulls (KV 220 and KV 5) are done in the basic Soviet colours. The Turrets I am going to work on now.

~Update~

OK, here they are. The KV 220 and the KV 5 are done and I revamped my JS VII with a new winter scheme and a longer gun. They are in the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 511213-KV Tanks and new JS VII.rar (489.4 KB, 158 views)