.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Sergeant

Nikelaos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pretender design for Yomi

dominion 3 is awfully low, it's just screaming for a domkill.
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

I see the idea to get your Dai Onis fighting fast. But S6 dont help them. As magic protection from the bless dont add it to units that already have magic protection 18 or higher.
Dom 3 is ok but you only have priests lvl 1.
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:06 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Dom 3, especially with a sleeping pretender and poor priests is risky, even in SP. In MP it would be suicidal.
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Yeah, dominion of 3 is a very, very bad idea. In MP this is suicide. You really need to strive for at least dom 6, and should try for more if your pretender isn't awake.

S bless is completely useless if Dai Oni. HOWEVER, it can be useful for Oni Generals, if you want to make good early use of them. and you should. My pretender for a normal game with yomi is looking something like awake sage, e4, n4, s6 (for diversity, path strength, and oni generals), and then as many magic picks as you can get while still having o3 and no misfortune. This gives your oni generals a little extra early game kick (and believe me, they are quite decent thugs early game, and can easily be used as SC killers). They'll be able to survive a lot of the smiting and banishing that your other demons will be struggling with, and make your early game a lot smoother. An e9, nx or fx bless could also work, and in a smaller game is definitely preferable to my above. Just so long as the pretender is awake, because you badly need a little bit of research for early threats from neighbors. Which should ideally come in the form of alteration 2+, evo 1, and if needed ench 3 for some skelly spam. With either of those blesses, both dai oni AND oni generals should be competetive for the first few years even with little to no gear.

With your pretender, clegg, I would drop growth to 0, raise dominion to 6, and do e9/s4/n4. That's good enough on the n and s, and sacking scales any more than that is starting to look pretty unattractive. And try oni generals, they are a lot better than you might think. I do agree that skull mentors are very important, yomi drastically needs extra research especially with drain scales. And the fact that their cap only mage has the same research as their cheap recruit everywhere sort.

I will stress that dai oni don't *need* a high level bless to be potent SCs, but it will make them a lot stronger early on if you go that route. But they're not really that well-built to be early SCs in the normal sense, due to the lack of a shield. They should always be supported in some fashion.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
The Following User Says Thank You to rdonj For This Useful Post:
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:35 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Not complaining, but I'm a little surprised that there's no Oni Pretender... If there was, it might be something we'd all ignore in favor of Great Sages, and the like, but for the roleplaying aspect, it would be nice.

Considering that Yomi is typically considered a weak Nation, this might be an opportunity for someone to come up with a powerful Pretender for them, that could actually serve to balance this Nation out.
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:46 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izanami-no-Mikoto
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

I have dom5 in a MP im now playing. I manage to have my dom in my provinces despite of pangaea spamming temples in my border (the looming hell).
MA Tienchi preaching with holy2 priests. So i could get dom1 for what I know.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:01 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Not bad...