BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Private

TreadHead is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sound Mod for WinSPMBT

Something I should have added in my previous post to be clearer, the sound files I was comparing are not the ones from Cross Sound 0.7. Those were the games' original files from WinSPWW2 (CD) patched through v3.0 and WinSPMBT (DL) patched through v4.0.

BTW, I downloaded Cross Sounds 0.7 last night and like what I hear!

Ross
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:19 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sound Mod for WinSPMBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreadHead View Post
Good timing on this discussion! I've been doing some investigation recently into the sound files and MobHack to better understand why certain weapons have the sounds that they do in the game.

Cross, above you'd noted:
"In your Sounds folder, you should have about 150 MP3 files and 150 duplicate WAV files.
SPCAMO have provided us with two 'sounds.ini' files. One for MP3 and one for WAV."

I saw that, and also saw how WinSPWW2 only uses .wav files. I listened to all of the files to make a catalog for reference. While most do match by sound file number as an identical WinSPWW2 .wav, WinSPMBT .mp3, and WinSPMBT .wav, I found four instances of sounds that did not match up.

Sound
File#____WW2.wav__________MBT.mp3___________MBT.wa v
55______Long auto burst_____Long auto burst______High-cyclic SMG
111_____Low-cyclic MG______Medium-cyclic MG____Medium-cyclic MG
113_____Two MG bursts_____Sustained MG________Sustained MG
117_____Two MG bursts_____Three MG bursts______Three MG bursts

Ross
Hi Ross,

Glad someone else is interested in the sounds!

Sounds 55 and 117
In SPWW2 sound 55 and 117 appear to be the same or very similar weapons with slightly different bursts and sounds.

In my sound guide I have identified the German MG34 'LMG' as the weapon that most often uses 55 and just a LMG for 117. (The guide is just that, a work in progress guide that is guesswork and compromise.)

In MBT it seems like the 55 WAV sound is a more recent addition to MBT, and it is a better sound than the 55 MP3 which is the same as the SPWW2 WAV sound.

In Cross sounds 0.7 I did replace both 55 and 117 with matching MG34 type sounds and kept the long burst for 55 and two bursts for 117.

Sound 111
Although sound 111 is slightly different in SPWW2 and MBT, I think it is basically the same sound/weapon. Again, I think the MBT version is an improved version of the original sound (with a slightly faster rate of fire).

In Cross Sounds I actually used the MBT 111 sound for the mod. So SPWW2 111 gets upgraded to the MBT sound; but if you install Cross Sounds to MBT, there'd obviously be no difference to sound 111.

Sound 113
I have no idea why 113 has been changed in MBT to a very different MG sound.

I think the existing quality of sound 113 in SPWW2 was excellent, so I doubt it was that.
In fact the quality was so good that for Cross Sounds I left 113 alone. Therefore, if you install Cross Sounds to MBT it won't change sound 113 at all.

In SPWW2 sound 113 is the same as sound 121 but with different bursts (121 was also left alone in Cross Sounds).

Interestingly, MBT sound 111 is the same sound as MBT/SPWW2 121; but with a third burst style.

Its gets quite complicated, because multiple weapons draw on the same sound, and single weapons often draw on multiple sounds.
That's why two different MGs may sound exactly the same; or the same weapon may have one burst one time you fire, and two bursts the next. Which is why it's important to keep the sounds consistent.

Let me know how you make out, and if you have any additional insight or discoveries that may improve the Sound Guide be sure to let me know.

Cheers,
Cross