.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM

Private

Rick L is on a distinguished road
Default Wish

I am playing EA Hellheim and my pretender can cast wish. I tried to wish for Kokabel and was told I couldn't have that. I entered Grigori (Kokabel) and it allowed me to cast the wish. However, nothing resulted except a loss of 100 astral pearls. Does wish only work a certain percentage of the time?
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:36 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish

You can only wish for unit types, not for specific named units. So you can wish for "Visitor" and expect to get this guy: Visitor or you can wish for Man Eater or Pharmakeia and expect to get the corresponding heroes; and in case they're unique like the Visitor, you'll steal them away from your opponents (teleport to your lab).

But you can't use their names. The thing in brackets is Wiki-specific to distinguish units that share the same unit name from each other, because I didn't want to list them all on a single page but that each one gets his own page - otherwise the "Hero" page would have almost a dozen entries with units that have the "Hero" unit type.

What the game does is compare the thing you entered with the unit type of all units in the game, ordered by unit ID. You'll get the first match, which is why wishing for "Grigori" gives you this guy: http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Grigori

The fact that he has the unit ID 1, the first unit in the game, is deliberate so that people can't wish for Grigoris, or at least they don't get what they expected.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:46 PM

Private

el cid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
I am playing EA Hellheim and my pretender can cast wish. I tried to wish for Kokabel and was told I couldn't have that. I entered Grigori (Kokabel) and it allowed me to cast the wish. However, nothing resulted except a loss of 100 astral pearls. Does wish only work a certain percentage of the time?
When I wish for a Grigori, put Grigori, but if it allowed to do this (wish for Grigori (Kokabel), you probably got the Grigori, but not sure that you get the one you want.

So the following could have happened:

1- when you get it, he comes as a unit, and not until you GoR him, will he be a commander. So look in you units regular units, not your comanders.
2- you already had a Grigori. when you wish for a Grigori you only get the first of the Grigori, at least it has been my experience (can´t remember what his name is, but he carries the first sword). If you wish again for a Grigori nothing will happen, as you already have it, and you would have lost 100 pearls.
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road

It might also be the fact that the grigory that showed up has the "VanishAfterAWhile" tag and showed up in the magic phase and disappeared at the end of the turn before you got to see him.
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM

Private

Rick L is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback and the explanation of how wish works. The grigori was not in the barracks so it probably did vanish, although when I read the message it just said I had cast wish. Usually it says that the person appeared in the lab.

What nation gets to summon the grigori? They sound unbeatable.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L View Post
Thanks for the feedback and the explanation of how wish works. The grigori was not in the barracks so it probably did vanish, although when I read the message it just said I had cast wish. Usually it says that the person appeared in the lab.

What nation gets to summon the grigori? They sound unbeatable.
Ashdod gets them, on top of everything else they get by virtue of being Ashdod.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM

Sergeant

Shardphoenix is on a distinguished road

Not Ashdod - Hinnom. Ashdod gets Summon Merkavah instead.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardphoenix View Post
Not Ashdod - Hinnom. Ashdod gets Summon Merkavah instead.
Right. Whoops.