.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 10th, 2009, 03:02 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer "Chaos Undivided" race

The lords of slaanesh are more attractive for their enslavement abilities anyway. If you get lucky and enslave away an enemy thug or two you're causing a lot of damage to your enemy.
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
The lords of slaanesh are more attractive for their enslavement abilities anyway. If you get lucky and enslave away an enemy thug or two you're causing a lot of damage to your enemy.
True, that is the real strength of those units. What I don't want however is for them to be able to do that with impunity, to do it 'solo'. If a player is forced to use several in order to take out independents that is fine. For more worthy opponents, a screen to take the brunt of an attack aught also be necessary.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Corporal

Bumping due to an update. This latest version 0.55, has been sitting on my drive for a few months. I really should have uploaded it back then.

Sorry for the slow progress. It is quite playable as it is now, just with a few of the summonable demons still using existing graphics as opposed to original graphics.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

I play Warhammer-themed Dominions pretty much exclusively, almost always as Chaos.

Earlier this year I made some new sprites that I'd like to share. I also started working on some unique champions but since I don't have a clue how to code them, they are still at the "brainstorming" phase.

L to R, Top to Bottom:
new Bloodthirster, new Lord of Change, Dechala the Denied One (Slaanesh), Valnir the Reaper (Nurgle), Arbaal the Undefeated (Khorne), Aekold Helbrass (Tzeentch)

I have more detailed character descriptions on another system, but basically:

Dechala: Enslavement, carries 6 swords, no legs
Valnir: ehhh, some sort of magic flail
Arbaal: rides a beefed-up Fleshhound
Aekold: flies, has a magic sword

On another note, there seems to be some sort of conflict with the Warhammer Lizardmen mod, as I keep noticing the Lizardmen have unreasoned Nurgle champions in their armies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	champions.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	8199  

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
I also started working on some unique champions but since I don't have a clue how to code them, they are still at the "brainstorming" phase.

... there seems to be some sort of conflict with the Warhammer Lizardmen mod.
I will release a new version in the next couple of days that will fix the Lizardmen conflict. Hopefully it won't 'cause' a different conflict. The new Chaos version will use unitslots 2338-2388. (This is better as previously it used two distinct number sets which increased the likely hood of a conflict.) There was in fact a very large overlap in the unitslots between Chaos and Lizardmen.

Your graphics are great and I would like to include them in the next version release (I presume that was your intent when you posted them), especially the new Bloodthirster and Lord of Change. I am not certain what your desired intent was with the other graphics. Valnir the Reaper (Nurgle), Arbaal the Undefeated (Khorne), and Aekold Helbrass (Tzeentch) can be used as they are as the Deamon Princes for those powers.

The Slaanesh Daemon Princess already has a custom sprite, and there is a problem with your design, namely the game does not allow for more than four arms/weapon on a single chassis. This can be abstracted to some degree by having for instance a single 'bonus' weapon defined as two arms with two strikes. These arms would not be able to carry any gear other than those weapons that the character comes designed with. So it would have two regular hand slots and two extra pairs of arms that cannot be re-equipped. What we do not yet have for graphics in the Chaos race mod is the Slaanesh greater demon. Perhaps we could rework your concept into that?

Then all we will need is a sprite set for the Nurgle greater demon and we will be really set for graphics. (Some of the marginal demon summonables will still be using placeholder graphics even then.)

Would you be able to upload a zip file containing the individual sprite graphics as opposed to all of them on one image? That will spare me the work of having to turn your work back into usable sprites.

And thank you for this. I'm glad for the assistance. I have little motive for doing graphics work usually but am reasonably happy coding the .dm files.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM

Sergeant

Yeah, I didn't really describe those "others" too well.

Basically, I got frustrated with the constantly-appearing (and, IMO, sorta useless) Chaos Spawn "heroes", so I decided to incorporate some characters straight from the old-school Chaos background. Unfortunately, I had no idea how to actually code them without really messing things up. So that's what they're for: graphics for unique Chaos Undivided national heroes.

Old May 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Corporal

I sat down to do the work of implementing your graphics and a couple new heroes, got the coding done and then stopped cold when I got to transferring graphics. The image file you uploaded here is a JPG, which is a lossy file and has introduced quite a bit of distortion to the sprites. Could you either send to me by Email, PM or upload here, a zip file of the original graphics in their TGA format please?
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:52 AM

Sergeant

My apologies for the delay, summer classes + not much gaming = haven't checked the site regularly. The images are attached.

On a possibly related note, I recently installed Dom3, the Warhammer World map, and all the Warhammer races on my Linux computer. I started a game as Chaos and all of the national spells seem to be missing. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Attached Files
File Type: zip chaos-champions.zip (36.8 KB, 192 views)

Old June 17th, 2009, 01:23 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
I recently installed Dom3, the Warhammer World map, and all the Warhammer races on my Linux computer. I started a game as Chaos and all of the national spells seem to be missing. Any ideas what could be wrong?
I expect it is another numbering conflict, just like the troops with the Lizardmen. I guess I will myself have to download all the Warhammer mods and eyeball each one for where the conflict might be. I have resolved the Lizardmen troops numbering conflict in the as yet un-uploaded working version, though I may have caused other conflicts.

Numbering conflicts are almost inevitable when a large number of mods are played at once. But it would be nice if at least the Warhammer races did not conflict with each other.

I'll get your sprites into the mod and have the new version uploaded hopefully sometime this weekend (with numbering conflicts resolved).

By the way, you would be doing me a favor if you were to list all the mods you have enabled.
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:12 AM

Sergeant

Chaos Undivided 0.55
AI Ogre Kingdoms 0.7
Tomb Kings 1.03
Skaven 1.0

For some reason activating the Lizardmen (v0.3) causes the game to crash when I try to start a new game. Not sure what the problem is there, but I've got them turned off as a consequence.

I don't know how practical or feasible it would be to eventually have some sort of Warhammer Mega-Mod, where a player could run the map and virtually all the races together. It's a nice idea though, and probably the only way we'll get a decent Warhammer strategy game. Numerous attempts to mod the Total War series have so far not succeeded.