.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Closed Thread

Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 (tentative name)

I made a chart

Please excuse the general nastiness, it was made in "Microsoft Spreadsheet" (I thought it was Excel, but I guess not) and then tinkered with in Paint. But anyways, yeah. There are ninety possible options (9*10), which is more than we need. Also, since this chart definitely doesn't have every good idea for a nation on it, I encourage not using it. It doesn't even have a "zerg-like" or "enslaves other species" option. In fact, it doesn't have a lot of things.

But anyways, I'm going to go pop this open in paint and see if I can find any good ideas in this mess of fish that live underground and cold-blooded lizards that live in a perpetual tundra.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Don't forget: Energy based creatures, fungi (from Yuggoth or otherwise), molluscs/cephalopods, copper-based critters, parasites/symbiotes/multiorganisms, trichordates, artificial life, Incertae Seris, and Bizarre/Extra-dimensional/Other.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Don't forget: Energy based creatures, fungi (from Yuggoth or otherwise), molluscs/cephalopods, copper-based critters, parasites/symbiotes/multiorganisms, trichordates, artificial life, Incertae Seris, and Bizarre/Extra-dimensional/Other.
Like I said, this chart doesn't cover anywhere near every possible awesome idea. Though it has given me a few good ones

When I think I have some really awesome ideas to pitch, I'll be back (also it's late at night and I have summerwork to do still). In the meantime, feel free to throw in any awesome ideas you (and by you I mean everyone not just you, HB) can come up with. Do you think your crazed mutant cyborg killer plant-people from a world that alternates between 2500 and 10 degrees Kelvin can make the cut? Why not tell everyone about them!
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I think I'm going to base the nations I come up with on early (1850's through the 1950s, roughly) sci fi, and make a push that atleast more of the "core" nations follow that trend-this is in keeping with the idea of extending Dominions in to a fictional "future" that is also based on our real world (in this case sci-fi, as opposed to fantasy) "mythology".

If that makes any sense?

Not that I want things to be limited, but that ideas spread out from the golden era of sci fi, hopefully in a way that-again like Dom3-entertains, but also seeks to educate a bit.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:03 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

From mechanical standpoint, what about making MA Ulm, in space!, that actually works?

Very cheap basic units and ships with high resource cost. Low base stats. Very good special abilities (protection, magic resistance, magitech can help in important resistance and encumberance problems). Elite units are very expensive but have good stats/weapons in addition to sharing the abilities of base units.

Could be base human race, or telekinetic space pineapples in mechanical bodies, or something else.
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:51 AM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I strongly suggest starting with just 2 races, or even just 1. That can be the prototype, which gets all the basic ideas worked out. (You can have two copies of that race, so that test games would be possible.)

A good one to start with might be Humans/Terrans. You know, marines, maybe some mechs/tanks, and reasonably non-weird spaceships.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I think I'm going to base the nations I come up with on early (1850's through the 1950s, roughly) sci fi, and make a push that atleast more of the "core" nations follow that trend-this is in keeping with the idea of extending Dominions in to a fictional "future" that is also based on our real world (in this case sci-fi, as opposed to fantasy) "mythology".

If that makes any sense?

Not that I want things to be limited, but that ideas spread out from the golden era of sci fi, hopefully in a way that-again like Dom3-entertains, but also seeks to educate a bit.
I can't really help much there, then. All I can say is that apparently, H.G. Wells has written books featuring Grey-like beings. What, did you really think you'd get away without including the Greys?

Also, is it just me, or has JimMorrison not replied to this thread yet?

Quote:
A good one to start with might be Humans/Terrans. You know, marines, maybe some mechs/tanks, and reasonably non-weird spaceships.
Not including humans would be like a map of the world that left out Canada.

Alright, so that might have been a bad analogy. But the point remains, why would we leave out humans?
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:55 AM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
why wouldn't we leave out humans
Er, what does that mean?
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Flying telekenetic squid-creatures! They can octuple wield!

Creatures with eyes on their arms so they can fire from behind cover without exposing vital parts of their anatomy!

As a thought, one of the things you could use magic for could be ship functions. For example, you might need to use a spell to fire missiles, and that takes a gem. Then you have to cast another spell using a different kind of gem so you can fire missiles again (in this example firing a missiles causes huge amounts of fatigue).
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old August 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
llamabeast said:
Quote:
why wouldn't we leave out humans
Er, what does that mean?
It means I need to double check before I post.
Closed Thread