.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 17th, 2009, 07:35 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Possible mod nation? - Kingdom of Angmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Couldn't change his form anymore, but that mostly meant he couldn't become pretty. The only story involving Sauron in a physical fight is Beren and Luthien, and then it involves shapechanging. In fact, afaict he never takes a form substantially larger than man-sized.
Specifically, he was no longer able to take a fair form, and thus was no longer able to deceive Elves or Men about his true nature, but had to rule by force and terror.

The other case of Sauron in a physical fight is when he is overthrown by Gil-Galad and Elendil. It is not described in any detail, but I got the impression of an epic struggle. A larger than human, though not titan sized form could be justified.
Isuldir did describe the Ring as shrinking.

I do like the idea of multiple Sauron forms to choose from for a pretender, even if justifying them is a stretch. Gives the player some options, while remaining appropriate.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

In my mod I was specifically following the movies more than the books, for whatever that's worth. I actually posted it, since rdonj was helping me out, and I was kinda hoping someone would want to help me out by doing some sprites. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sombre: I suppose its not the editing itself, but figuring out how to make the editor do what I want it to.

Edit: Here it is.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Speaking of which, do you remember what it was we were going to do next when I vanished? I kind of got busy and forgot about it
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure either, though I forget if we actually got the Sauron pretender to work.
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:54 AM

Sergeant

LumenPlacidum is on a distinguished road

Well, first try at sprite editing. Started with the unarmored mounted commander, but made him into a black rider. There's a lot of depth to the grays, but they seem to be lost in the scale of things. I have a long way to go, clearly. Amazing how even one this simple could take so long. Spent a couple hours on it.

The bright pink does represent shadow, right? In which case, it just uses a darkened background color? I'd really like something to make the nazgul *pop* but they're notable for being just black riders, right? Anyway, at least I have the rider separate from the horse, so I can plop him down on a fell beast when I get to those.

Old November 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Sergeant

The units seem to be going as follows:

Rhudaur Men: 3 varieties, all share mountain survival and cold resistance 50.
Wild Man: Slightly better equipped barbarian with great club, berserk +0, pillaging bonus (1)
Hunter: Shortbowman with prec 11, stealth, forest survival
Savage: 2 hatchets on a berserker +3 which serves as a heavy hitter that will be consumed by arrow fire; pillaging bonus (3), ambidex 2

Angmar Men: 2 varieties, both have mountain survival. A premium is paid for either type.
Swordsman: broadsword/kite shield with chain hauberks, pretty good stats (atk 12 def 12 base)
Bowman: composite bow at prec 11

Gundabad Orcs: 3 varieties, capitol-only. All of these orcs are hardy, having reinvigoration 3, which serves to make their very heavy armor somewhat more practical. They all have gluttony 2, cold resistance, mountain survival, darkvision 50% and berserk +3. They are expensive gold- and resource-wise.
Orc Warrior: Morning star/Kite shield, plate hauberk
Elite Warrior: Flail/Kite shield, full plate mail. These elites have berserk +4, which will make them tough as nails.
Warg Rider: Light lance, broadsword, kite shield, plate hauberk. Addition of bite attack from warg makes these effective shock troops.

Cap-only Gundabad Shaman will be F1D1H2 +110% EFDW. It still has the reinvig 3, but also has the berserk +3, which could be a distinct disadvantage for a mage. Is equipped with armor and weapons anyway.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Sergeant

Hmm, a quick test reveals that the bright pink does NOT actually become shadow in the game... So, I'll just get rid of it or something. Does it have to be an exact color?
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

It has to be an exact colour. Don't get rid of it! Sprites will look terrible without shadows. Copy it from another sprite. Make sure you are using something good (like GIMP, which is free and excellent).
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Sergeant

So, I want to have hill trolls in for Angmar, but I have too many cap-only troops as it is and they're probably too powerful for recruit-everywhere. I also want to somehow model the idea that they cannot travel normally since they get turned to stone in daylight. It was suggested to me that they might work in this way as part of the heavy province defense that comes at 20+. As part of PD, trolls would make attacking into the core of Angmar a pretty scary prospect, which would help the nation to wait for the Witch King to marshal its strength when it wants to attack.

If possible, I will have the trolls have questionable loyalty (or just give them trample and low morale with the usual consequences).
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Having them as part of the PD isn't a bad idea. I'm pretty sure your plan to give them questionable loyalty through some modding trick won't work, but I don't think low morale trampling is entirely thematic. Decent morale and trampling, maybe. Actually I think it would be more thematic for trolls to go berserk, but it is your mod, and I haven't read the books super recently.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP